C220 Elegance and Snow

VBKT

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Elegance
Hi,

This subject has been covered I know but I've just bought my car and have found it to be a most enjoyable drive in fine weather. However, in previous cars, I have thoroughly enjoyed driving in the snow but in this one I am terrified. It just slides and totally refuses to go out in the snow and ice.

Bought some snow socks from Mercedes the other day for the rear tyres, but from what I have read, they tear once wet, which is not good if, it is to be believed.

The car does not have winter drive and is automatic, although can knock it into first and/or second gear by just hitting the lever but am still really worried as looking out the window, we have just had another snow shower and it is getting deep.

Last time I was in the house for three days and with Christmas coming I am really worried as I'll be eating snow for Christmas Dinner if I cannot take Sadie out.

Advice would really be appreciated please.

Thank you. Regards, Valerie

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
They are all bad in the snow, the best one i have found is our A,class, snow dont bother that much,

Welcome to the forums!

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Use "C" mode and turn the ESP for starting off in snow. This makes the car start in 2nd gear but allows some wheelspin before the revs are cut.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
LOts of posts about this but to be honest whilst the cars aren't the grippiest in the snow they are still perfectly usable. Its a combination of willingness and a touch of skill, thats all. For example, last year in heavy snow, many collegues who lived far closer to the office were 'snowed in'. I made it in every day, in my mercedes. Perhaps that as the freelancer I was the only one who wasn't getting paid if I didn't show up has something to do with it? Equally I worked from home for 3 days this year, leaving the merc safely cossetted in the garage. But then I could. If it had been the office or nothing, my E class and I would have been cruising down the M1 as usual.
I've been out in the ice today. Sure if Id atempted to exceed 15mph on the side roads I'd have been in trouble. A gentle squeaze of the throttle had the rear squirming and the ESP light flashing, but so what? 15mph is just fine. Drove up a steep side street, if the rear wheels started to spinI backed off, holding at the point fractionally before they spun and was patient (which is the key). I got to the top.
Its easy really.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Hi,

This subject has been covered I know but I've just bought my car and have found it to be a most enjoyable drive in fine weather. However, in previous cars, I have thoroughly enjoyed driving in the snow but in this one I am terrified. It just slides and totally refuses to go out in the snow and ice.

Bought some snow socks from Mercedes the other day for the rear tyres, but from what I have read, they tear once wet, which is not good if, it is to be believed.

The car does not have winter drive and is automatic, although can knock it into first and/or second gear by just hitting the lever but am still really worried as looking out the window, we have just had another snow shower and it is getting deep.

Last time I was in the house for three days and with Christmas coming I am really worried as I'll be eating snow for Christmas Dinner if I cannot take Sadie out.

Advice would really be appreciated please.

Thank you. Regards, Valerie

Not sure what you mean by "does not have winter drive".

The box has different settings. Change the setting (as detailed in your handbook!). Leave it D, do not go anywhere near first. Turn the ESP off when starting off if the car refuses to move. But above all...read the book and understand your car.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Tyres also make a big difference, my new car has some Dunlop sports on which seem better in the snow than my previous cars Michelin Primacy HPs. Hopefully later on this week I'll be getting my newly acquired, second hand alloys back from the refurbishers shod with some winter tyres and then I hope to see a real improvement (at least when they lose that new tyre greasiness).

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
LOts of posts about this but to be honest whilst the cars aren't the grippiest in the snow they are still perfectly usable. Its a combination of willingness and a touch of skill, thats all. .

Well said, agree 100%. Possibly a question of lattitude as much as attitude?? ;);)

Coat on, gone :D:D

giddyme

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c2200 sport
Talking of snow and icy conditions we are experiencing, my C220 sport auto model keeps freezing me out of the doors. Its seems that the central locking system is freezing and I can go no-where until the sun comes out or the temperature goes up. Has anyone else had any problems like this?? It is really frustrating, having to wait until around 11.30am before I can get in it, also as I work til 10pm at night, I have the worry of it freezing before I can get home, (some days I am lucky to be able to park under cover). I have the one lock on my passenger front door but have never been able to open the door with the key since I had the car. As soon as the car has defrosted, it drives really well with no problems what-so-ever. Anyone have any ideas before I put it back in the garage costing me another arm & leg???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Get some silicon grease and wipe it over the door rubbers and they will not stick or freeze

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
They are all bad in the snow, the best one i have found is our A,class, snow dont bother that much,

Welcome to the forums!

I was caught in a traffic jam a couple of weeks ago when an A-Class couldn't get up a slight incline in the snow :(

mb300d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300d
Valerie,

The only way one of these cars is really safe to drive in the snow and to give you the confidence in it is to buy some winter tyres - you will not believe the difference. Sure if you drive at 10mph and avoid snow covered hills and drive like a nun then you will arrive at your destination eventually - but the real answer is the winter tyres.
Or if you cant be bothered with that then fit some Vredestein Quatrac 3 all season tyres for all yr round almost as good in the snow - and the last option is buy a front wheel drive car.

marlin

Reaction score
My W204 manual says ESP only works correctly in winter with winter tyres, I have fitted Conti WinterContact TS830P which according to conti site have been designed to work with ESP. Very impressed with this tyre.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
My W204 manual says ESP only works correctly in winter with winter tyres, I have fitted Conti WinterContact TS830P which according to conti site have been designed to work with ESP. Very impressed with this tyre.

How do you design a tyre to work with ESP?

ESP is about monitoring wheel rotation, steering angle, suspension position, throttle position and probably a couple of things I can't think of right now. ESP only comes in when the tyre has already lost the battle so I can't see how a tyre can be designed to work with ESP.

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
The wide tyres are really the issue. My W203 is completely unusable where we live although the wife's SLK doesn't have any problems with its winter tyres. Even my golfing partner who lives round the corner got stuck in his A6 Quattro coming up the hill to where we live. 2 wheel drive with winter tyres is superior to 4 wheel drive with my summer tyres as another friend with an A4 Quattro discovered in the Alps last winter. We had to pull him out of a ditch with our hired Fiat Punto shod with winter tyres!

marlin

Reaction score
How do you design a tyre to work with ESP?

ESP is about monitoring wheel rotation, steering angle, suspension position, throttle position and probably a couple of things I can't think of right now. ESP only comes in when the tyre has already lost the battle so I can't see how a tyre can be designed to work with ESP.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/automobile/themes/car-tyres/winter-tyres/contiwintercontact-ts-830-p/contiwintercontact-ts-830-p,tabNr=1.html

yammyr1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 clk 230 auto convertable
hi i have a c200 elegance auto, biggest load of crap on the road in the snow (its the auto) had a c180 esprit before, no probs at all with that

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
hi i have a c200 elegance auto, biggest load of crap on the road in the snow (its the auto) had a c180 esprit before, no probs at all with that

Thats a sweeping statement! It's like saying my new silver car is worse than my last, identical, blue car!

Have a look at the tyres first and foremost, my guess is your old car had decent brand name tyres with good tread (possible even winter or multi-season spec at that) and the tyres on your current car are either cheapo chinese brands or well worn.

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi i have found my 190 2.6 brillant in snow just keeps going.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom