Black Cat crossed my path....

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
After a lot of deliberating and test drives on various cars including a C Class Saloon and Coupe I’ve gone and bought a Jaguar. It’s a 2.2D, 6 speed manual (That will keep Turbopete happy!), Full Leather, Touch Screen Display for all the essential stuff including the Sat Nav and auto electric everything. Its one of the few cars that I have got in, adjusted the seat and felt instantly at home in. 45mpg so far on mixed roads and being black it needs washing every 30 miles……..
I still have the SL of course but the Jag is a bit more economical for the daily commute! Overall I am impressed with the build quality, the way the doors go clunk when you shut them and all the toys to play with. Not forgetting the £155 a year road tax…..

S5030011.jpg

S5030001.jpg

S5030014.jpg

S5030004.jpg

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
very nice....what is the leg room like in the back...I've only owned the old mk 2 which wasn't that roomy in the back.

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are back seats? Well I never lol...... Leg room in back is nothing to write home about Lizzy but theres only 2 of us and 98% of the time its just me. Its better than the SL anyway !

This is my second Jag as I had my first one in 1977 ! (Pictures in the Art Gallery http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9881) which was an XJ6 Series 1, lovely car!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
One thing you need to do is check the headlamp connections .. The bulb connections are a joke and work loose causing the connections to arc and burn the plastic holders...make sure they are tight and firmly fitted into their housings.. and if they look dodgy get em sorted .........Peugeot 307 same problem .. the connections have been made in toytown

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Congratulations David that looks so nice. Out of all my jags that I have had the early XJ6 cars were so good, I had the first one ever made that was on the rotating display at Earls Court, that was a manual as well.

I do not know how I would manage with white seats.

Please be kind and stop talking about 45 mpg

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
very nice....what is the leg room like in the back...I've only owned the old mk 2 which wasn't that roomy in the back.

Strangely enough, that is MissyD's criterion for a good car - on one gtg at MB World she tried them all!

Now, I wonder why, .............. :confused:

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Strangely enough, that is MissyD's criterion for a good car - on one gtg at MB World she tried them all!

Now, I wonder why, .............. :confused:

I bet you've spent many hours wondering why Alex ;)

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
A well appointed motor and a good choice. Had a long hard look and a few test drives myself before purchasing the current steed, think it might just have been its parentage that put me off - a bigger Mondeo :lol::lol::lol: I am joking of course...

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Nice car David, happy motoring

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
After a lot of deliberating and test drives on various cars including a C Class Saloon and Coupe I’ve gone and bought a Jaguar.

Good choice - they are dirt cheap on the used car market compared to the equivalent Audi, Merc or BMW models and you get alot of car for your money. Enjoy

Nice colour by the way :lol::lol::lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A well appointed motor and a good choice. Had a long hard look and a few test drives myself before purchasing the current steed, think it might just have been its parentage that put me off - a bigger Mondeo :lol::lol::lol: I am joking of course...

They had to stop using ford switches a few years back, shame that there has never been a combi

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Apparently, only about 18% Ford but I know what you mean !

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
After a lot of deliberating and test drives on various cars including a C Class Saloon and Coupe I’ve gone and bought a Jaguar. It’s a 2.2D, 6 speed manual (That will keep Turbopete happy!), Full Leather, Touch Screen Display for all the essential stuff including the Sat Nav and auto electric everything. Its one of the few cars that I have got in, adjusted the seat and felt instantly at home in. 45mpg so far on mixed roads and being black it needs washing every 30 miles……..

I think it is also available in 4 x 4 (manual, not automatic), which could make it a good pragmatic choice for our recent winters - and there is no equivalent MB product on the UK market.

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Apparently, only about 18% Ford but I know what you mean !

If it breaks down I bet you it will be the 18% Ford parts that cause it!

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
very nice! proper gearbox too! although probably unlike most jag's that others have owned as IIRC these are front wheel drive if not four wheel drive. they will also be much cheaper to maintain too, based on the MK3 mondeo floorpan and sharing the 2.2 engine and gearbox etc with the 2.2 mondeo ST TDci

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apologies for dragging up another old thread....... Almost 12 months on now ( i bought it 31st December last year) and just took it a couple of weeks early for its MOT. Always a nervy time when you take a "new to you" car for its 1st MOT ! I needn't have worried as it flew straight through with no advisories so I am happy..

In the last 10,000 miles, nothing has fallen off, nothing has stopped working, its still doing 45mpg - even with the odd bit of spirited driving..and I still enjoy driving it.

I shall take it in for the recall on the Cruise Control fix now I have received the letter from Jaguar but even that works faultlessly.

So far a good buy I think and less thirsty than the SL for the daily commute - but obviously not as much fun when I plant my right foot - though at least the fuel gauge doesn't make a dash for the "empty" mark....

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dragging up this thread yet again, bit like my personal diary! The cat sailed through the MOT yet again with no advisories. Apart from normal service items, parts replaced so far are : one side light bulb and that's it.

Tyres were new when I had it and I had a new pair on the front at the start of the year and still got 4mm on the back after 30K miles. Average fuel consumption over the last 10K miles = 48.6mpg. Not bad.

On the way back from the MOT station the offside headlamp bulb failed...... apparently these can be buggers to fit unless you have the arms off an anorexic ballerina and the fingers of ET, so that's my challenge for the Christmas break.

I did toy with the idea of wearing a false plaster cast and getting halfords to fit it as their adverts suggest - but reading the forums they won't do X Types as they are too difficult!

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dragging up my personal diary again... :D

Another year on and the Cat went straight through the MOT yet again with no advisories so far in its history.

Outlay for 2014 was 2 pairs of tyres and a headlamp bulb - offside one again, grrh! Oh and oil/filter service.

48.3 mpg overall on just over 10,000 miles so can't grumble at that.

I still enjoy driving it for my daily commute and nothing has fallen off yet..

Top Bottom