SLK 320 engine cutting out

racing 22

Reaction score
Hi
This is my first ever post so I'm hoping someone can help me.... I have an SLK 320 auto on a 53 plate - in the last few weeks the engine just cuts out with no warning! This can happpen at around 30mph or whilst stationary in traffic - all the ignition lights are on but the engine will just not turn over, the only thing I can say is strange is that the radiator fans are running when this happens but water temperature, coolant/oil levels are all ok. It was checked out by one of these diagnostic things and did show some faults which were then cleared but it has happened twice again since then and this time it will just not start - any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Janet

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This does sound like the crank shaft sensor and they do not always show up on a test.

about £60 from Bosch and not too bad to fit

Welcome to the forum Janet

OP
R

racing 22

Reaction score
This does sound like the crank shaft sensor and they do not always show up on a test.

about £60 from Bosch and not too bad to fit

Welcome to the forum Janet

Thanks for that Malcolm, could it be related to dampness due to the fact that the car has been used daily and there has been a lot of rain recently? Is this a common fault?
Thanks again
Janet

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was wrong on this please read the post from Alex below

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i will go for the k40 on this one because...

it will not turn over on the key during fault condition
the fan runs at high speed suggesting loss of comms with the ECU
(the above would not be caused by crank sensor failure)
k40 type issues very common on these cars

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i will go for the k40 on this one because...

it will not turn over on the key during fault condition
the fan runs at high speed suggesting loss of comms with the ECU
(the above would not be caused by crank sensor failure)
k40 type issues very common on these cars

You are of coarse right Alex,,I must learn to read better, its the new glasses :rolleyes:

OP
R

racing 22

Reaction score
K40 issue - is the K40 by any chance a small box within the ECU housing which has 4 - 5 relays and some fuses on the top? If so, yes, seems like the diagnostics guy found the problem - it turns out there were some dry joints on the circuit board and also a couple of hairline cracks so this has now been reparied - fingers crossed!!
Thank you for all your help - I'm now about to ask for more help on another problem - aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!! Will start a new thread
Janet

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
K40 issue - is the K40 by any chance a small box within the ECU housing which has 4 - 5 relays and some fuses on the top?

that is the one, glad you got it fixed.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom