Where Do I Stand??

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Hughes for years here...no increases this year on either car. And their built in break down cover has been very useful.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
3 points should not make a difference to the quotes but some companies will not insure certain risk profiles at certain times so may withdraw their offers.

So if the cheapest 3 insurers all won't cover you because of the points then it could make your premium go up a lot.

It's the same for the windscreen claims autoglass fraudulently say "won't affect your premium"...well because it still counts as a claim come renewal half the insurers would no longer cover my dad and his premium effectively tripled!

OP
C

chris1200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204
3 points should not make a difference to the quotes but some companies will not insure certain risk profiles at certain times so may withdraw their offers.

So if the cheapest 3 insurers all won't cover you because of the points then it could make your premium go up a lot.

It's the same for the windscreen claims autoglass fraudulently say "won't affect your premium"...well because it still counts as a claim come renewal half the insurers would no longer cover my dad and his premium effectively tripled!

The broker has already told me the 3 points won't make a difference.

Also, I've had a couple of windscreens replaced over the years by Autoglass via my insurance and it has never made a difference to the next premium.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
One thing I have noticed recently is that many insurance companies now require a copy of the policyholders license along with the claim form before authorising the repairs...
so they certainly are on the look out for something...
Oh and the other thing to be wary of is insuring a car that does not belong to you....ie.. A young person buying a car on HP..then finding that it is cheaper to insure it in a parents name and be a named driver...the catch here is that the proposal form asks .Do you own the car ..and the answer is invaribly 'yes'... when in essence the insured does not own the car, as the Hire Purchase is in a differnt name..

Last edited:
OP
C

chris1200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204
Oh and the other thing to be wary of is insuring a car that does not belong to you....ie.. A young person buying a car on HP..then finding that it is cheaper to insure it in a parents name and be a named driver...the catch here is that the proposal form asks .Do you own the car ..and the answer is invaribly 'yes'... when in essence the insured does not own the car, as the Hire Purchase is in a differnt name..

I know someone this happened to. He bought a car for his daughter but insured it in his name with her as a named driver. Guess what happened?? She totalled it within 3 months driving like a wild child. Insurance company did an investigation and refused to pay out for her car. They did honour a couple of personal injury claims which were involved with passengers in the other car she hit but refused to pay out on her car. £7000 cash down the drain. I told him this was likely to happen when he told me about the accident...but would he listen? No, he went out and bought her another one for £10000 cash with the expectation he was getting a pay out.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Crazy thing is that the premium probably isn't much cheaper as they always set the premium for the highest risk driver. All an insurer has to do is look at what cars are in the family. I drive an E class, the Mrs a Freelander2 - so it doesn't take a genius to realise that my 03 plate Ka isn't my main car that my daughter occasionally drives.
The other factor is that by insuring in a parent's name, you don't build up an NCB for the kid (assuming they don't stuff the car).
The really stupid aspect of this is when people insure a third car in their own name for their kid to learn on. When a learner is learning, their premiums are actually lower. It's only when they pass their test that the premium goes up. So, it took my Daughter nearly a year to get through her test which is about average. By the time she did, she'd built up the best part of 1 year's no claims bonus. I had to pay a couple of hundred cover the remaining 2-3 months but once the policy came up for renewal we had a nice healthy no claims discount to keep the price down again.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Crazy thing is that the premium probably isn't much cheaper as they always set the premium for the highest risk driver. All an insurer has to do is look at what cars are in the family. I drive an E class, the Mrs a Freelander2 - so it doesn't take a genius to realise that my 03 plate Ka isn't my main car that my daughter occasionally drives.
The other factor is that by insuring in a parent's name, you don't build up an NCB for the kid (assuming they don't stuff the car).
The really stupid aspect of this is when people insure a third car in their own name for their kid to learn on. When a learner is learning, their premiums are actually lower. It's only when they pass their test that the premium goes up. So, it took my Daughter nearly a year to get through her test which is about average. By the time she did, she'd built up the best part of 1 year's no claims bonus. I had to pay a couple of hundred cover the remaining 2-3 months but once the policy came up for renewal we had a nice healthy no claims discount to keep the price down again.

Not true - my cars were always in my mum's name as her second car with full NCB - drove 214 Rovers from when i was 18-21 and every premium was under £450 (compared to £1300+ in my own name) and later my W124 e220 coupe from 22-25 and never had a premium over £250 (compared to £1,000+ in my own name) for an insurance group 13 car doing 18k miles a year.

It wasn't even considered illegal back then (in practise insurers just paid) but now its a bit more talked about I insured my w124 e 220 estate on my policy - £450 for first 10 months compared to £170 if it had been in my mum's name...nevermind, it will go down a lot with 1 years NCB...ummm no, at 1 years NCB it was £440 for 10 months. Looked at a renewal for next year with 2 years NCB...£420 and that will probably go up in the 3 months when it is required.

NCB is a red herring - as I have driven for 10 years and never had a claim it's all factored in so i get almost the same premium no matter how many no claims bonus I put...Wish i'd insured this one in my mum's name. So for all those out there who want to be 100% honest put the correct driver, but don't in anyway kid yourself that you are going to win financially out of it.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I can categorically answer the title of the thread now.

You stand banned - end of :lol:.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
What happened Musky?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Musky?? :lol::lol::lol:

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
It was meant to say Adonis - I just can't spell.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You listen well my little frog. :lol:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Lizzy save me ..........tuts out quick

OP
C

chris1200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204
I can categorically answer the title of the thread now.

You stand banned - end of :lol:.

You think you're a funny guy don't ye? Don't worry sunshine...long runs the fox! :cool::D:cool:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom