How do I change gears manually on my 2008 mercedes c class automatic?

geek84

Reaction score
Hi folks

I own a 2008 mercedes c class. As most of you may already be aware, it has automatic transmission. However, in the user guide it states that the owner has the option to shift gears manually. I have tried to follow the steps outlined in the guide and change gears manually, but I am getting slightly confused of the procedure to do this.

The procedure to do this described in the manual states that if you press the gear lever towards D+ then the automatic transmission shifts up one gear depending on the gear program selected. However, what does it mean by ‘depending on the gear program selected’, and how would I know what gear the car is in?

The manual goes on to say that shifting up a gear will extend the shift range but moving down a gear will restrict the shift range. What does it mean by extending and restricting the gear range?

Finally, will any of you folks be able to direct me to any websites ( or videos such as you tube), which explain the procedure for doing this?

Thanks in advance for your responses..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You have 2 driving modes, 1 in S and the other in C, by nudging the gear shift to the left it will change down 1 gear with every nudge, but the limits are as long as the speed of the car is suitable for that gear to be used,,, the gear change points are different when diving in S (standard mode) from driving in C (comfort mode)

Once again nudging the shift lever to the right it will change up, as long as the speed of the car is suitable for it to be in that gear

N

npuk

When you nudge the gear shift left or right the display on the cluster screen which shows P R N D C/S changes to 1 2 3 4 5 to show what gear it is in. Should all be in the owners guide..

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Or do it the simple way and actually just BUY a manual, if you want to change gear manually! Works fine for me!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
This has come up previously.

As far as I understand it, tapping the Tiptronic selector once (up/down) will always change UP just one gear at a time (as long as the speed range is within limits), but will not necessarily change down just one gear at a time - it may change down MORE than one gear, depending on speed, current revs and load (ie - ascending/descending a hill).

So the selector cannot be used EXACTLY as a manual box could be used.

With earlier Tiptronic boxes (viz - my SLK 320) tapping either way selected just one gear higher or lower. Personally, I prefer this arrangement over the later boxes.

Having said all that, I am sure that someone will soon come along and put me right!

Baz

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Evening!! :)

On my 203 if I tap left/right the 'box will always shift just one cog, if the speed/revs allow. If I push left and hold then it will drop as many cogs as needed to give optimum acceleration. Push and hold right and it removes the limit lock and goes to the gear best suited to the speed/revs

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Same as the practice of teaching driving to learners.
Old skool is to change down through the gears one at a time using engine braking in each gear.
This was because old cars just had a bit of wood that rubbed on the wheels when you wanted to slow or stop. And nowadays many drivers translate this to track driving.

In actual fact with modern cars, brakes are so much better and slowinging down through the gears will just add wear to modern lightweight transmisions. So its discouraged.
Instead 'block' changing is prefered in that once a driver slows to carry out the manouver, the correct gear is then selected (while still moving) to allow a swift and smooth drive off.

This is why there are so many accidents and rear end shunts at roundabouts.
The driver who doesnt block change goes down through all the gears to a stop usually, even if its safe to go and then its too late and hesitates.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
... This is why there are so many accidents and rear end shunts at roundabouts.
The driver who doesnt block change goes down through all the gears to a stop usually, even if its safe to go and then its too late and hesitates.

One of the reasons for rear-end shunts at roundabouts seems to be that drivers approach them too fast, then realize this too late. Messing about changing down gears at the same time may be a factor also, but I am sure it is not the main one.

Who has never settled down to a main road (or motorway) speed only to find that they arrive at a turn-off or slipway going faster than they expected?

Baz

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Well a combination of the two would be disastrous...arriving too fast then trying to slow down by going from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd to CRUNCH :Oops:

wilsodg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E/2011/350CDI D6S
I did one of those 'defensive driving' courses (mandated by my employer for all high mileage emps.). The (ex-police) instructor coined the phrase "gears for going, brakes for slowing". Good advice I believe since modern brakes are more capable than the all-round drum brakes employed when using gears to slow the car was required to help with the load. He made the point that downshifting to assist braking just puts an imbalance into the design of the braking system and should be avoided. Maybe it helps if the cars brakes are very sharp ( I drove a Citroen once where the brakes were either on or off), but every merc I have driven is fine for gentle braking.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did one of those 'defensive driving' courses (mandated by my employer for all high mileage emps.). The (ex-police) instructor coined the phrase "gears for going, brakes for slowing". Good advice I believe since modern brakes are more capable than the all-round drum brakes employed when using gears to slow the car was required to help with the load. He made the point that downshifting to assist braking just puts an imbalance into the design of the braking system and should be avoided. Maybe it helps if the cars brakes are very sharp ( I drove a Citroen once where the brakes were either on or off), but every merc I have driven is fine for gentle braking.

Replacing brake parts is a far cheaper option the changing the gear box :D

OP
G

geek84

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Many thanks indeed for your replies.

As some of you have stated, if I nudge the gear lever to D- (for example) then it will change to the next lowest gear. However, if I continue slowing down the car would I need to nudge the gear lever every time in order to change to a smaller gear?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is not good for the engine to use too much engine braking, let the car change on its own when slowing down, and it will do it just fine.

Other than the brake pads etc are much cheaper to replace than all of the drive gear.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Hi Folks

Many thanks indeed for your replies.

As some of you have stated, if I nudge the gear lever to D- (for example) then it will change to the next lowest gear. However, if I continue slowing down the car would I need to nudge the gear lever every time in order to change to a smaller gear?

Thanks

No you don't need to nudge again. The car will change down when required. That said you can nudge if you wish, the car will change down if revs/road speed/load allow.

OP
G

geek84

Reaction score
Hi televeision

Many thanks for the speedy reply.

The only reason why I am asking this question regarding the manual changing of gears, is because a friend of mine suggested to put it in manual rather than automatic transmission during the winter months, because the car would not slip that often.

I have tried using the ESP system on the car, but it does not have much of an effect.

Before I bought this car, I used to have the old C class model which was a rear wheel drive, and I didn't have any problems when the road was slippery. I thought mercedes would have brought in new technology in order to combat the problem of slippery roads, but it seems as though they are going backwards - may be the credit crunch has also had an effect on them !!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ESP only come into play if the car starts to slew from the front or rear end, believe me ignore your friend and leave the car to sort itself out,,and it will, there is no better system made than the one on your car.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

Last edited:
OP
G

geek84

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am aware that ESP is permanently on, but when my car started slipping the year before last when we had smow, the ESP did not have much of an effect. I therefore pressed the ESP (thinking that this is how to turn it on), but it did not have much of an effect either.

Also, my car only has the opions S and C, so I suppose I can't put in it in manual mode any way?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am aware that ESP is permanently on, but when my car started slipping the year before last when we had smow, the ESP did not have much of an effect. I therefore pressed the ESP (thinking that this is how to turn it on), but it did not have much of an effect either.

Also, my car only has the opions S and C, so I suppose I can't put in it in manual mode any way?

If you are going at a snails pace on ice then the ESP cannot kick in, the idea of it is if you are say going round a bend too fast, or you accelerate so that the rear end breaks away the ESP will cut in and correct the car and the triangle in the cluster will light up to show you that it is working.

I have had automatic cars only since 1958 and never once in my life have I ever needed or wanted any manual mode, I bought them all and over 400 of them all Automatics.

You seem insistent that you can manage better in a manual, I think that you should have bought a manual car to start with.

I have tried automatic cars where the owner has been trying to override the auto function and all of the gear shift and drive system worn out, but its your car and you must do what you want to with it.

OP
G

geek84

Reaction score
Hi television

Thanks for your reply. I'm not insistant on a manual, I am only trying out other options which will prevent the car from slipping.

You say that the ESP does not kick in if going at a snails pace - so how fast would I need to be travelling on a slippery road to see if the ESP kicks in?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom