Costs associated with S320

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The 221 as of 06-06 has a good name, no point in using MB for servicing as an indie will be ½ the cost. quite a few of the L version always for sale and more suitable. You do not need one with a high spec, not that there are many loaded ones around anyway, the diesel will be a must if you intend doing long runs. Re costings it all depends on how you drive it, some drivers get double the mileage from the tyres and brakes over others

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A longer Warranty would be usefull but the private hire usage would be a problem.
They can spring some expensive suprises.

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
The w221 is a brilliant car and so suited for the work you have planned, long or short wheel base. The LWB does tend to come fully loaded and because it is not as attractive to the average private buyer is no more expensive to buy.The 320cdi would be ideal, powerful and smooth enough to impress your clients, yet still returning high 30's to the gallon. Dependant on the year of the vehicle it might be worth considering a service contract with MB, approx £40 per month including VAT which you could probably claim back. Parts are only fractionally more expensive than say an E Class.

Go for it!!! Good luck,

Tony

OP
R

romik

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI/2005/3.2
Thanks guys for the info. I have heard about monthly MB schemes, quite interested in MB dealer doing all the work, due to level of sophistication under the hood. What about brakes and tyres? I suppose I can look into that myself.

Any more pointers as to which colour is best for most occasions? Interior colour? I have been a cab driver for many years, quite new to chauffeuring, so any advice would be welcome.

I am definitely interested in LWB model, I noticed a 350 model, what are the pros and cons in comparison?

Also haven't decided whether to lease a newer car or buy an older one.

Thank you very much for all replying to me :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most of us on the forum find that the average indie knows better what is going on under the bonnet and for the rest of the car, but if you like paying £110 plus VAT per hour plus parts you may not need, then go to a main dealer.

A service plan from MB will cost I believe £1800 for 3 services, thats what they took for my CL (nearly the same as 221)

OP
R

romik

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI/2005/3.2
I am sceptical because I had lots of problems with independent mechanics in the past, due to bad experiences I am looking the other way, for now, being fully aware of price differentia between the two. If I had the confidence in a mechanic, then of course I would be more than willing to do most if not all work there.

I AM BASED IN EAST ANGLIA

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
You will not go wrong if you go to Alex Crow in Stowmarket. He is one of the most knowledgeable MB indies and a regular contributor on this forum.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have Alec Crow not that far away in Suffolk
http://alexcrow.moonfruit.com/, drop in and see the man, he must be one of the most knowledgeable men in the UK and he has a first class experience with Mercedes cars. Every one on here loves the man.

OP
R

romik

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI/2005/3.2
Now that is great advice! Thank you both.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
I would say that a very late model 220 might be a better bet regarding running and repair costs, than a 221 with the V6 engine. The earlier IL6 648 engine is fantastic
Have a look on the forum for problems with them, that is the V6 Diesel 642 engine.
Also, I strongly suggest you avoid a car with fitted DPF.

OP
R

romik

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI/2005/3.2
Hi Alex,

I would be concerned with marketing an older model though, IMHO image is very important.

W221 is what I need to get, so if I understood correctly it is fitted with a diesel 642 v6 engine, which is not as superior as the previous 648 engine. From which year did MB start fitting DPF?

Thank you.

Last edited:

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Sorry Malcolm, beg to differ,. I took the four year deal withg MB service contract, cost £40 per month. For that I get 4 services, 2 x A and 2 x B which works out at an average of £480 per service, which is just about the middle cost between A & B. What you gain is that there is no inflation. ie you will still be paying that price in three years. The only extras are the usual consumables, tires, brake pads etc. All filters and the likes are included. The real advantage is that you keep the Mobilo 30 year warranty complete which to me has been a godsend, please see http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=104381
Tony

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
I am sceptical because I had lots of problems with independent mechanics in the past, due to bad experiences I am looking the other way, for now, being fully aware of price differentia between the two. If I had the confidence in a mechanic, then of course I would be more than willing to do most if not all work there.

I AM BASED IN EAST ANGLIA

After a customer interaction service issue with local MB dealer my wife takes her 07 C class to a fine garage in Suffolk. Only uses MB parts, and he charges £95 for an A service. An extra £50 for a CLS because of the special oil. She is very satisfied indeed with their work, and visiting the workshop I can understand why. And he isnt the cheapest locally, he doesn't collect or return the car, or wash it before you get it back, but he provides a great overall package for quality servicing as a family run business.

Local MB dealer does a good job, but wanted £300 for the A service on my CLS. Negotiated down to £239 and I got some good will from MB themselves confirmed on some extra bits and pieces as a car just out of warranty. Mainly this was steering ball joints, which had been worn down to half their legal spec in a surprisingly short time - 3 years/30k.

I paid 25%, MB paid the other 75%. My 25% was £85, so that would be £340 a pair on an older car.

I also had a glow plug go, which they fixed at the same time at ca £12+vat for the plug and 30mins labour - came to £65 in total iirc.

(Obviously you'd go to a shed for tyres, exhaust bits etc like everyone else....)

So that was £485 on servicing and maintenance in a year. Add in £270 road tax, £246 insurance, £55 MOT - thats £20 a week standing costs. I know people who can spend double that on cigarettes or beer - and hence can show nothing for the money they've just p*ssed up against the urinal wall.

I get 32 overall average mpg, 42 on a gentle run, put it through a hand car wash every month, and depreciation - who knows.

I don't think an S class would be much different from a CLS in costs, but add in a few percent and you might be there.

My wifes C class otoh (touch wood) has had nothing go wrong with it in 5 years, just tyres replaced at 3 years. She has had it properly serviced and pays less in all departments - with up to 52 mpg for her gentle Pixie feet! Say £10 a week by comparison. But is my CLS worth the extra tenner? You betcha, and you will feel the same with your S class too I have no doubts in the world.

If you arent far from Suffolk drop me an email and I'll let you details of the local garage my wife uses.....

One final tip, give Mercedes Retail a call ( or MB Direct as they have also been known). They get their used car stock direct from MB themselves, have a real cherry pick of the finest cars, and have superb prices. I've been delighted with them, and would go back for another MB from them in a heartbeat.

All the best

Geoff

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry Malcolm, beg to differ,. I took the four year deal withg MB service contract, cost £40 per month. For that I get 4 services, 2 x A and 2 x B which works out at an average of £480 per service, which is just about the middle cost between A & B. What you gain is that there is no inflation. ie you will still be paying that price in three years. The only extras are the usual consumables, tires, brake pads etc. All filters and the likes are included. The real advantage is that you keep the Mobilo 30 year warranty complete which to me has been a godsend, please see http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=104381
Tony

Fair enough, I was going on the papers that were handed to me when I bought my car, the last service went with the car,,, I had this done and the car broke down but the Moblo cover was useless and I got no help at all from MB in getting the car fixed, I replaced the CPS my self and that has finished me re the breakdown cover or help

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
You will not go wrong if you go to Alex Crow in Stowmarket. He is one of the most knowledgeable MB indies and a regular contributor on this forum.

And iirc he publishes his fixed price service menu on his web site. I almost dropped my CLS in to his hands, had it not been for the ball joint work being subsidised by MB themselves.

I also now get mobilo cover for the next 12 months, having used the main dealer.

OP
R

romik

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI/2005/3.2
Thank you for all replies, very interesting indeed.

As far as servicing is concerned I must mention my estimated annual mileage I expect to be around 40k+, it may of course turn out to be less, all depends on work that would be coming in. Therefore, the vehicle would likely to be serviced at more frequent intervals. I haven't looked into that M... cover you guys are talking about, what is the gist of it?

My email is: jsspmk@gmail.com for that gentleman in Suffolk.

Thank you.

OP
R

romik

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI/2005/3.2
Since w221 diesel v6 is hit & miss then what about a petrol version, perhaps the 350L?

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Since w221 diesel v6 is hit & miss then what about a petrol version, perhaps the 350L?

If you're using the car for hire work, then I would definitely go for the 221: customers will be more impressed. The 220, although a nice-looking car is starting to show its age imho.

I've only had my diesel one year now, so can't give long-term maintenance costs, but had no problems so far, and find it very economical (for the size of the car): a 60 mile round trip gives about 38 - 39 mpg.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you're using the car for hire work, then I would definitely go for the 221: customers will be more impressed. The 220, although a nice-looking car is starting to show its age imho.

I've only had my diesel one year now, so can't give long-term maintenance costs, but had no problems so far, and find it very economical (for the size of the car): a 60 mile round trip gives about 38 - 39 mpg.

My best friend has had his diesel 221 for nearly 2 years now and has had no faults at 35k miles, he had his previous one for two years and that gave no problems at all either, I noted too that his car showed an indicated 39 mpg and he never ever re sets his :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom