smokey S320 CDi

monument7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 2005 3200
Hi guys,
Firstly can I say the standard of driving from youngsters and mainly young girls is atrocious and with such powerful little cars no wonder premiums are high along with accidents, does it take an accident for them to learn ????,................... anyway back to the problem. Had a "racing driver" in a golf up me arse so decided to floor it a little just to prove a point when he disappeared in a cloud of smoke ha ha. Not sure who got the biggest shock him or me. I couldn't believe how bad it was so what can it be ???. I read the thread from dieselman about the EGR which seems a bit drastic. Has anyone done this bypass and did it work plus is there a part change that will do the job. I dont have the equipment to do the bypass and don't know of anyone that could do it so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Hi guys,
Firstly can I say the standard of driving from youngsters and mainly young girls is atrocious and with such powerful little cars no wonder premiums are high along with accidents, does it take an accident for them to learn ????,................... anyway back to the problem. Had a "racing driver" in a golf up me arse so decided to floor it a little just to prove a point when he disappeared in a cloud of smoke ha ha. Not sure who got the biggest shock him or me. I couldn't believe how bad it was so what can it be ???. I read the thread from dieselman about the EGR which seems a bit drastic. Has anyone done this bypass and did it work plus is there a part change that will do the job. I dont have the equipment to do the bypass and don't know of anyone that could do it so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

If your system is the one referred to in dieselmans post, then I can answer. Many, many people on here have done the exercise with no problems. It is a pretty simple exercise really, even if it looks complicated at first glance. A competent car electrics guy should be able to do it in half an hour or so. Simon Speed has made up some kits and is offering them to members. Maybe you could contact him.
It is well worth the trouble with positive results all round - better performance and economy (in certain usages) along with no further problems with the egr and manifold gunking up. Highly recommended.

OP
M

monument7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 2005 3200
I contacted Simon Speed who is kindly going to e mail me the information needed to do the job, thanking him in anticipation for that. As for dieselmans description of how to do it and what's needed I contacted RS Components and the parts suggested could not be found from the numbers given, must be old stock but the lady still couldn't find reference. Not to worry Peter says he has Maplin parts.
One thing I might add is the smokescreen is an effective tool to get rid of tailgaters and my reg of P444 OFF adds a little to it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

monument7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 2005 3200
Please amend name to Simon Speed, sorry about that

OP
M

monument7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 2005 3200
electronic EGR bypass

I have been in contact with a couple of members regarding the EGR bypass on my S320 CDi but it seems all the solutions on here refer to vacuum operated valves and not the electronic type fitted to my car. Does anyone have information for this please.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I have been in contact with a couple of members regarding the EGR bypass on my S320 CDi but it seems all the solutions on here refer to vacuum operated valves and not the electronic type fitted to my car. Does anyone have information for this please.

I did ask at the beginning if you had the type of egr control shown in dieselmans post. Seems not. The electronic model has been detailed by Alex Crow and a search of his posts will find it. There is one type of electronic egr that nobody has yet been able to "beat". Hope you don't have that one....

OP
M

monument7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 2005 3200
Hi,
I wasn't sure what type I had and didn't know there was more than one type.I only realised I had the electronic type after Simon Speed did some investigating The odds are that I will have the one that's not been cracked yet :).
I did e mail Alex but as yet no reply plus he is way too far away to do the job and I wasn't sure if he would post the bits so awaiting his reply.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Have just checked email, and replied.

You would need my CDI3 mod, but I suggest fault code check first - if you get P2355 go for it.

Last edited:
OP
M

monument7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 2005 3200
Cheers Alex,
I'll get it booked in asap.
Thanks

OP
M

monument7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 2005 3200
Well !!!,
Had it on diagnostics and no codes, all they could think is the chip I have fitted would be partly to and one injector is reading 2.6 but the rest are fine. Worth every penny of the £35 for peace of mind.
I do know that when i'm on nightshift I drive like an old woman because the roads are empty but come dayshift all the built up gunk gets blasted out. Whatever the reason I am happy with the outcome. He did say these EGR's can be bypassed but not adviseable..........just glad I don't need it. Either way a huge thank you to MB members for all the help on this matter.

OP
M

monument7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 2005 3200
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well !!!,
Had it on diagnostics and no codes, all they could think is the chip I have fitted would be partly to and one injector is reading 2.6 but the rest are fine. Worth every penny of the £35 for peace of mind.
I do know that when i'm on nightshift I drive like an old woman because the roads are empty but come dayshift all the built up gunk gets blasted out. Whatever the reason I am happy with the outcome. He did say these EGR's can be bypassed but not adviseable..........just glad I don't need it. Either way a huge thank you to MB members for all the help on this matter.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom