New Forum Style - Is it just me ???

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
that's odd Craig, I'm finding it the opposite, much quicker in IE and Firefox, older iOS isn't quick though and not tried from anything newer so that may be better?
Finding just as quick in iOS 10 as before in everything, the only thing I find slow is loading the profile page pop up...nothing to compare to though, as that wasn't on the old forum

vbadmin

Reaction score
Google and various other search engines are engaged full time at the moment re-indexing the whole site due to the the change in structure, so the site is having to deal with a lot more traffic than normal (google is requesting over 100k pages a day and has been for the last week). However there is a chance that the increased complexity of the new software will put a bigger overhead on the server so it may need to be upgraded.

https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?online/&type=robot has had a fairly constant 10+ robots for the last week and until I blocked the Russian and Chinese search engines it was 20+

Last edited:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I quite like it but wish it could be condensed, choice of smaller fonts perhaps.

vbadmin

Reaction score
Do you mean for the user block at the side or for the site overall?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You could just reset the browser zoom (or font size) depending on your browser?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I like it - it took a few days to get used to it and it has got easier still as @vbadmin has made improvements and now I can't remember what the old version was like!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Much easier to upload photos to from a smartphone!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
A "thank you" button would be good - I wanted to say thanks today but all I could see was "like" - different thing

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
A "thank you" button would be good - I wanted to say thanks today but all I could see was "like" - different thing
Interesting thought David- on the old forum I often used to use the 'Thanks' button as a 'like' as that wasn't available, now I'm occasionally doing the opposite- yes maybe both would be good?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Much easier to upload photos to from a smartphone!
Totally agree Craig and mainly I use either my iphone or ipad so that's a great step forward for me- also the increased upload size

Lisadj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d AMG Line coupé
What is it about the new forum software you don't like @Lisadj ?
I preferred the appearance of the other one, it was easier to read and navigate. I just use my laptop so I don't really worry about viewing on a mobile device. This one seems quite spread out. Trying to put my finger on exactly what else I preferred.
I haven't been a very regular user, I just pop in now and again. Maybe I'll get used to it.
IIRC the old one was a darker colour and it didn't seem as "in your face" as the white background.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
The way I see it is I'm a guest in someone elses house.
They can decorate it however they like and I appreciate it however it's done as they have an open invite.
It took some work and no doubt there were risks in the changeover, I'm sure they thought long and hard before doing anything.
Constructive criticism is great though, it can only get better with some tweaks here and there.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I'm not keen

Me neither, just doesn't look or feel intuitive on my PC, I can see how smartphone users might prefer it but I'm not liking it at all.

Russ

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
just realised something that's missing here that was on the old system, that the part where we had a mini 'about me' section at the top right of every post (the bit where the post count etc used to be)

now for me, the post count was irrelevant BUT the part which gave out a posters location (approximately) and car owned was, IMO quite useful if, for example someone posted a question like 'I need to find a decent local indy to fix my car as its difficult to start in the morning' or similar. by looking at that we can see that the poster owns, for example a 1997 C250TD and live in Oxford (for example only) so can help straight away without having to remember what car(s) people own or constantly having to ask the same questions over and over to find out.

could that part be replaced onto the new software? just a thought...

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
It's under your avatar on the left
eg
Your Mercedes:
2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
its not showing at all on my screen, for anyone, hence the query! on your post for example, I see the avatar, your screen name and 'moderator' in a blue box below the avatar, then blank.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
go to your username (top right) - preferences - set to "Mercedes custom style" & try that

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks. that works a treat. in fact I think I prefer this style to the 'standard' style. it looks a bit more familiar

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom