SL R230 Owners did you buy the mercedes sl rear shelf luggage bag

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Thr lovely nappa leather one .
Just wondered ?

We did 3 euro trips in the SL500s, struggling for space ... wife likes her clothes .. as they all do.

Just found mine on the top shelf of a big dresser. Made me smile ... first trip, wife bought the luggage to fit... it didnt.
We arrived at a very smart Chateau Hotel, and at the last moment we had to use bin bags. :)
The guy came out to get our luggage in. 3 week old SL500 with exclusive nappa leather ... and ****ing bin bags in the boot, his face was priceless. :-/
As he carred them upstairs Kurt Geiger heels poking through them.
I thought it was funny ... her in doors didnt. :(

On the fourth trip decided we needed this bag to really maximise space, and its great for that ... actuslly perfect. Also stops opportunist theft if the lid is down.

Ironic a business deal thwarted the trip ... and we never used it.
Hmmm now so converted to the CL or S Coupe .... what a waste. :):)

Interested how many of you bought them?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Never did Sub, but was tempted on a monthly basis! As it turns out glad I didn't...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I bought the Smart Roadster dedicated set. It's very good. We bought a second big bag (there's normally one big bag and one small bag). We found we could just squeeze both into the Smart (squeeze being the operative word).
When we bought the SL we found they fitted the SL perfectly and use the same bags for all our SL trips now. The two long bags stack snugly one on top of the other (or side by side) and the small square bag fits at the end.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Never did Sub, but was tempted on a monthly basis! As it turns out glad I didn't...

No the feeling .. now pretty much converted to the CL .. S Coupe camp .. so a waste
Except when I have to go to Waitrose :(:(
Overhangs in the mother and baby bay by 1 foot!
Did the right thing and parked in a normal slot last week, and got jammed in ... had to wait 35 mins for the car next door to come back .. before I could open the door! ( and no I am not fat just couldnt even get my leg in :(

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I
I bought the Smart Roadster dedicated set. It's very good. We bought a second big bag (there's normally one big bag and one small bag). We found we could just squeeze both into the Smart (squeeze being the operative word).
When we bought the SL we found they fitted the SL perfectly and use the same bags for all our SL trips now. The two long bags stack snugly one on top of the other (or side by side) and the small square bag fits at the end.

Its great when they just fit :)
The clever thing about this bag is the straps, that secure it. With the seats back a little, it stops opportunist thieves grabbing a loose bag, as they cant quickly get to the buckles , as if course they cant move the seat forward if its locked.
Plus of course load that up to 20-25Kgs ... not nice to come loose, if you had a french motorway pile up at 140mph.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I

Its great when they just fit :)
The clever thing about this bag is the straps, that secure it. With the seats back a little, it stops opportunist thieves grabbing a loose bag, as they cant quickly get to the buckles , as if course they cant move the seat forward if its locked.
Plus of course load that up to 20-25Kgs ... not nice to come loose, if you had a french motorway pile up at 140mph.
And its weight in the middle of the car not the ends....

Johnnyamg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
If anyone is interested in selling one at a responsible price please let me know.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The 230 rear bag is the most silly useless bag that I have ever seen or owned, I sold the thing. Its the funniest shape and design ever made.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The 230 rear bag is the most silly useless bag that I have ever seen or owned, I sold the thing. Its the funniest shape and design ever made.

Except it does maximise use of a "dead space", prevents opportunist theft.
I do agree on one point if I was designing it. I would have made them as 2 bags with 2 handles.
But the wife thought it was great for designer dresses (light); and 2 jumpers, and a camera bag etc. if you are enroute to to the next hotel.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I don't think the area behind the seats is dead space, i can fit 2 holdalls in the back and secure them with the luggage straps with no issues. I looked at the exclusive luggage designed for the SL but decided my 2 holdall method was much more usefull.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Quick update,
The bag sold on ebay for £250. And has been paid by paypal.

Sent you a courtesy pm Johnny.
Regards
Peter

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
What out for any charge back on PayPal! I always worry about selling large value items on ebay, hopefully you will be ok.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
What out for any charge back on PayPal! I always worry about selling large value items on ebay, hopefully you will be ok.
Thanks, yes heard of that.
Fortuneately He has 100% feedback since 2003 with 244 positives , no negatives. So feel very comfortable.

But yes it can be a risk. Nearly got caught selling a £1,600 amplifier. Very clever con artist. He basically bought oodles of washers 50p etc. Building up a lot of positives. But dig back in history ( pages later) and you see a negative; always for high value items. His scam was to over bid. So when it hit £1,200 with 8 active bidders he slammed in £1,600 2 hours before the end. Effectively killing off the others genuine bidders.
Christmas ... I think not!
Then despite, it saying "buyer collects only - I will not post" in bold caps x 2.
After winning he asks me to post it to Portugal! .. 22Kg power amp .. WTF! I refuse, it also says "no international bidders".
He then asks me to post it to an address in Norwich. Its a valid postcode, but has the wrong County! Bizzarre. maybe not ... strange different Police forces :):):)

By now, by digging back I am in contact with 9! Poor sods who got conned out of high value items; the cheapest £900 the rest between £1,200 and £3,400!

The clever part was the address was wrong, but the couriers of these poor souls looked at the postcode, that was valid, and hence they delivered. If you checked google earth, in the middle of nowhere (no other buildings for circa 5 miles so it was his) was a single farmhouse (a very very nice one btw) and a huge barn. Probably stacked with stolen goods!

The really disgusting part was eBay would not remove him, despite all of us writing to them. 5 of those conned were so furious they did a chain email to EBay explaining how they got conned, how much for, and that eBay had said they would investigate to all of them, but 9 months later he was still on eBay!
He was still there when I last checked!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom