Do they need to take the wheels off to fit the adjustable cam bolts

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
just wondered when I get my alignment done, which needs the adjustable cam bolts fitted.do they take the wheels off?
Or on a lift can they change them with the wheels on?
I assume they dont need to take the wheels off to adjust them.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Like anything to do with inner suspension joints you can work on them with the wheel on but why would you? With the wheel off you get better access, there's less weight to contend with when refitting and you have more (natural) light to work in.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On mine the bottom arms wore out at 70k miles, and were replaced, it depends on what is done.

Near you in Chasham WIM who are good.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
thought I'd chip in.....

in my experience the main dealers give you caster bolts (shorter ones that fit the other arms) when you ask for camber bolts. When I took them back he said you're the first one to complain, that's the ones well sell everyone on all merc's when people ask for camber bolts !!!

I think its possible you only need the special washers and the original better & stronger bolt could be retained. I wonder if they have the other bolt so its easy to spot if the adjustment is available. I mention because the very well regarded main dealer north of me had half inched the washes from a set of the adjusting bolts they allegedly had in stock. You can even buy the washers as a separate part number. And when a bloke was showing how they work I couldn't see from the distance I was that the bolt did anything. And he said its only when tightening the last few threads the washer position is critical. You could do it up and just mangle the cut out on the subframe and achieve no adjustment easily.

The wheels are nowhere near these bolts (or indeed the caster adjustment that WIM said don't touch) taking them off would be a total waste of time

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
thought I'd chip in.....

in my experience the main dealers give you caster bolts (shorter ones that fit the other arms) when you ask for camber bolts. When I took them back he said you're the first one to complain, that's the ones well sell everyone on all merc's when people ask for camber bolts !!!

I think its possible you only need the special washers and the original better & stronger bolt could be retained. I wonder if they have the other bolt so its easy to spot if the adjustment is available. I mention because the very well regarded main dealer north of me had half inched the washes from a set of the adjusting bolts they allegedly had in stock. You can even buy the washers as a separate part number. And when a bloke was showing how they work I couldn't see from the distance I was that the bolt did anything. And he said its only when tightening the last few threads the washer position is critical. You could do it up and just mangle the cut out on the subframe and achieve no adjustment easily.

The wheels are nowhere near these bolts (or indeed the caster adjustment that WIM said don't touch) taking them off would be a total waste of time

Thanks nice to understand what it entails.

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Yep, wheels stay on. I take every Merc I have ever owned to WIM. They always leave wheels on, in fact their machinery lasers fit on to the wheels hence the wheels MUST stay on!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Yep, wheels stay on. I take every Merc I have ever owned to WIM. They always leave wheels on, in fact their machinery lasers fit on to the wheels hence the wheels MUST stay on!

Thanks, I meant when they swap out the adjustable cam bolts. They said they needed one, I got 2 in a set.

Sure hope they baked my newly refurbished wheels top coat, I know they do the powdercoating. :-/

Top Bottom