SUV Hidden menace

towat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK 320
I nearly got reversed into on Morrisons car park by someone in an SUV, luckily my horn was in good working order. It did however highlight a previously unnoticed problem concerning the plethora of SUV's currently on our roads namely that when you are directly behind one in a relatively low slung car, and I had the roof down, then you are practically invisible in their rear view mirror, I would have been seen in the door mirrors but this person was reversing into a parking space and obviously didn't check.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Equally a problem for MPVs and vans.
Try being in a Smart Roadster. You're nearly invisible.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
When I had an Audi Allroad, (not the lowest of cars), I was driven into by an X5 driver who literally didn't see me beside her. When she got out, she was WAY under 5' tall (I say "tall"...) and couldn't actuially see over the lower edge of the side window! Wouldn't adnit it though.

Took months of screaming at the insurancer company to achieve precisely nothing, then a year later I had a call saying "both sides have closed their books on the claim". Basically, "you're on your own".

Luckilly, the damage on my car was fixable pretty cheaply, but the X6 must have run into thousands.

Much like the Russian dashcam videos, you can do a lot of damage when you don't look where you're going...

OP
towat

towat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK 320
When I had an Audi Allroad, (not the lowest of cars), I was driven into by an X5 driver who literally didn't see me beside her. When she got out, she was WAY under 5' tall (I say "tall"...) and couldn't actuially see over the lower edge of the side window! Wouldn't adnit it though.

Took months of screaming at the insurancer company to achieve precisely nothing, then a year later I had a call saying "both sides have closed their books on the claim". Basically, "you're on your own".

Luckilly, the damage on my car was fixable pretty cheaply, but the X6 must have run into thousands.

Much like the Russian dashcam videos, you can do a lot of damage when you don't look where you're going...

I do have dash cam footage which would have been useful if they had hit me, I may upload if I can work out how to edit it.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Like Lostkiwi, I've a Roadster too & been in exactly the same situation as towat. SUV in front started to reverse, I pipped, she stopped, presumably looked round & couldn't see any one so started to reverse again so obviously I pipped again. I assume she then looked properly & saw me.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
All`s good when you have 360deg cameras. ;):D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I just keep going and never stop, on the odd time that I did stop, then the park furthest away is for me

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Small cars are intrinsically less safe, we all choose what we drive, I know what I would rather be in when being "T boned"
by a drunk driver, or reversed into in a car park.

OP
towat

towat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK 320
Small cars are intrinsically less safe, we all choose what we drive, I know what I would rather be in when being "T boned"
by a drunk driver, or reversed into in a car park.
Safety wise I think I would rather be in my CLK than say a Dacia or KIA SUV.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
SUV versus Smart Roadster - A hammer cracking a nut.
The principle applies to any two objects where the mass of one far exceeds the mass of the other.
(Cue debate on modern safety shells?)

Umble

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I nearly got reversed into on Morrisons car park by someone in an SUV, luckily my horn was in good working order.

Maybe they had a reversing camera?
I get tooted at sometimes as they THINK they haven't been seen.
No doubt they go to a forum to explain how they saved the day with their horn.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Every car is a menace if the meat sack behind the wheel is not paying attention, with the amount of beepy things and cameras now only the stupid will crash

OP
towat

towat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK 320
Not from the way they stamped on the brakes when I tooted and they were inches away from me so no.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
SUV versus Smart Roadster - A hammer cracking a nut.
The principle applies to any two objects where the mass of one far exceeds the mass of the other.
(Cue debate on modern safety shells?)

Umble

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... And you havenb't even got a reverse gear :(

Not quite correct. You could, in theory, go as fast backwards as you could forward because to go backwards, you stopped the engine & then restarted it running the other way

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci

That's the word, Maybe. Not all SUVs have a reversing camera and sometimes older ones have unserviceable parking sensors. I have almost been reversed into several times and my W202 is by no means small. The op is simply stating a fact and a dangerous one at that, there was a news article on SUVs an how children are also at risk when they cross the road behind such a vehicle, the driver has no knowledge they're there.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom