R129 soft top windows, Renovo & other options

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I ordered some Renovo a few weeks ago as I was going to try and see my soft top through until spring before it's replaced. I thought I'd try and clear the windows of the cloudiness before it gets time to put the hard op on as I can see very little out of them, especially at night.

So tonight I finally got around to giving it a try and I have to say I was totally underwhelmed by it's inability to make any difference to my presumably 16 year old windows. I say that as the still have the Wopavin logo in them.

Figuring they're shot anyway so it would make little difference what I tried I grabbed a bottle of Meguires 80 grade speed glaze (T cut to us old uns) off the shelf in the garage and set about giving it a go.

All I can say is that it's far more effective then Renovo which was a total waste of money. I've only one half of the main window on the outside only at this time but the difference is noticeable. If it hasn't destroyed the window when I go out in the morning I'll take a photo if I can get a decent one to show the difference.

The roof does need replacing but I'm putting off replacing it until spring as I'm sure it won't be too long now before the hard top goes on but that's not just yet. :)

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
A photo showing a 1/2 and 1/2 when I did mine a few years back. Can't be a 100%, but I'm sure this was with Renovo plastic window polish.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
That looks very good, sadly my soft top had been left to get much worse than that, by the previous owner, it's really cloudy with two distinct lines across the main window where it folds. There are also several splits where he opened it when the weather was very cold, which I've repaired.

Perhaps it was foolish buying one of these as my only car and being on a limited budget meaning I have to prioritise things. I need to replace the exhaust before Christmas with a full stainless system which I want to do before Christmas so trying make the soft top hang out until spring. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Your windows are in far better condition than mine (both of you).
Mine are cloudy and last year to get it so I could actually see anything I hit them with Brasso and a random orbital polisher. Made them usable but still not good.
On top of which all three widows are badly cracked and repaired temporarily with poly tunnel repair tape (which works brilliantly and has only needed replacing after 12 months service.
Next year will see it get a new rear hood section.
For now the hard top is back on for winter use.

Windsurf1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 500SL/ V8
I used a product called "Clear View" a little labourious to apply being a two part process. It has the advantage though of keeping the window material supple whilst folded negating the crease marks. J C.

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
I did loads of research on this topic some years ago for my R129 back plastic windows...like yours they had become really cloudy with poor visibility, after visiting the detailing websites I ended up with this plastic polish, which had fantastic results, note my car has had a roof change at some point so not original plastics...still use it now:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greygate-...514243?hash=item1c6c90d0c3:g:k0UAAOSwI~VTzQm4

I ordered some Renovo a few weeks ago as I was going to try and see my soft top through until spring before it's replaced. I thought I'd try and clear the windows of the cloudiness before it gets time to put the hard op on as I can see very little out of them, especially at night.

So tonight I finally got around to giving it a try and I have to say I was totally underwhelmed by it's inability to make any difference to my presumably 16 year old windows. I say that as the still have the Wopavin logo in them.

Figuring they're shot anyway so it would make little difference what I tried I grabbed a bottle of Meguires 80 grade speed glaze (T cut to us old uns) off the shelf in the garage and set about giving it a go.

All I can say is that it's far more effective then Renovo which was a total waste of money. I've only one half of the main window on the outside only at this time but the difference is noticeable. If it hasn't destroyed the window when I go out in the morning I'll take a photo if I can get a decent one to show the difference.

The roof does need replacing but I'm putting off replacing it until spring as I'm sure it won't be too long now before the hard top goes on but that's not just yet. :)

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I did mine with Autoglym paint correcting fluid (02B or 01B, can't remember which, but that particular product is NLA) which made a major difference, could not get to the inside of the window to do that.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I did loads of research on this topic some years ago for my R129 back plastic windows...like yours they had become really cloudy with poor visibility, after visiting the detailing websites I ended up with this plastic polish, which had fantastic results, note my car has had a roof change at some point so not original plastics...still use it now:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greygate-...514243?hash=item1c6c90d0c3:g:k0UAAOSwI~VTzQm4

I had some of that previously but lost it when I got divorced and moved, I couldn't remember the name of it but it was brilliant at getting scratches out of watch glasses and such likes. Thanks for the link I shall buy a bottle anyway as it lasts for ages, the bottle I had was still a glass bottle! :)

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
Yes its great stuff...I too forgot what it was called and had to pop into my garage to confirm lol agreed it does last ages...

I had some of that previously but lost it when I got divorced and moved, I couldn't remember the name of it but it was brilliant at getting scratches out of watch glasses and such likes. Thanks for the link I shall buy a bottle anyway as it lasts for ages, the bottle I had was still a glass bottle! :)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I'm trying to get my soft top to see me through until spring as no doubt the hard top will be on in the next few weeks. Having cleaned the windows so you can at least see something behind you I had a large tin of Fabsil arrive today. I've given the top one coat with a brush, which I obviously need to let fully dry, has anyone else used this and if so how many times coats did you give your roof? :)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
So just a quick update on an old thread, my beloved motorbike is now sold and I shall be ordering a soft top from KHM. I was intending ordering the four cables they have listed for going around the windows and the rubber spoiler, is there anything else I need to order at the same time?

I seem to recall there are some elastic straps that go around part of the frame, I can't look as the car has the hard top on at present, is it best to replace the headlining at the same time. I'm thinking if I'm getting it done I may as well get the job done best to only need to do it once.

The roof is going to be fitted by Howard Sands who has done several R129's before and is highly regarded but because of that I he is booked up until the end of may so it's booked in to go in for two days on 30th May! :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The head lining is a separate part and easily removed. I'd take the old one out and give it a good clean before deciding the replace it.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Just to throw a spanner in the works I hadn't ordered my soft top as it can't be fitted until 31/05/2017 and with a delivery time of 10 days I didn't want to have it sitting around any longer than needs be. So in the meantime I spotted this -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Verdeck-M...id=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&mehot=lo&sd=351930608433
I messaged the seller, Markus Huber, who said that they manufacturer their roofs from Sonnenland Plus and they are fitted with Renolit Flexglass windows, 1.25mm in the centre and 1.5mm at the sides as per the original thickness. As you can see the cost is around £145 cheaper than the KHM.

Any thoughts guys before I place an order? :)

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
let us know how you get on.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
let us know how you get on.

Mike I used to be indecisive as they say, I don't want to penny pinch I want to get the right product, that said if I can get a near identical product for £145 less then why not? :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personally I'd still go for the KHM one. Quality is well documented and it uses original plastic in the windows (Wopavin).

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I'm planning on a road trip to Germany in the not too distant future to KHM for a new hood and combine it with a visit to various friends around France and Germany. If they are still talking to me after BREXIT.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
So I may live to regret this but I decided to go with the roof from Markus Huber on ebay, two reasons for this. One being the lower price, having spoken to my MB dealer and found out how much new window seals and cables are, basically £360+ VAT each side, I revised my budget for the top itself. This wouldn't have been the sole reason for changing my mind but sensing my difficulty in communicating with him by message Mr. Huber telephoned me on my mobile phone. He basically assured me that the roof I would receive would be as close to the original as possible. Apparently the reason why several manufacturers are shying away from Wopavin rear windows and going to the Renolit ones is, so I'm told, Wopavin are no longer made in Switzerland but in China and the quality has apparently suffered? That may be an excuse for using lesser quality items but few manufacturers even in Germany appear to be fitting Wopavin windows.
I won't know if it's a hit or a miss until such time as it's fitted on 31/05/2017 - 01/06/2017 but I'll keep you posted. :)

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom