417.8 KB · Views: 14
  • hub cap shot 12ft across lawn.jpg
    hub cap shot 12ft across lawn.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 15

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Checking the service schedules I saw no mention of wheel bearings or the need for inspection or adjustment. Are these now a sealed for life item.
Presumably they are checked at MOT time.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
They are supposed to be , so I don't believe they would be inspected in service too closely and in the MOT the inspector will be checking for excessive wheel play only (usually ball joints, rod ends etc)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
What do you mean by "better made"? Build quality? Gap and flush? System reliability? Corrosion resistance? Design?

anyway you want to count it e.g.

you put the key in and drive it....
not put the key in, pray it starts and there not another message advising you to give a dealer yet another 800 quid,

you drive 300 miles get out no discomfort
do the same in an S class and you need a massage and a week off work to recover... (and ALL the passengers say the same !)

you wash the wheels they look like new
wash the wheels and all you find is corroded crap under the dirt

wash the car and it looks great
wash the car and all you see is how shrubbery you deliberately didn't go anywhere near had taken half the paint off the side... (and both cars are the same width)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
My E and S class are the first cars I've been able to drive 3-400 miles at a stretch without my back hurting. Both SWMBO and I have remarked the same. She has back problems.

Wash the wheels and they look fine. I have OEM and repro and no difference there.

Wash the car and I get a clean car. Polish the car and I get a shiny car. Regarding the paint, what surprises me is how damn tough the paint is. Two cars, one on 216k/ 10 years and the other 127k/ 17 years and there's only 5 or 6 stone chips in between them.

My main issue on both 211 and 215 is rust. Poor attention to detail design and corrosion resistance are shown here, the Japanese lead the world here and have for a while. Wheelarch dogleg transparencies would have done very well for MB as an example.

For the 215, the biggest clench factor is ABC. But that's not necessarily an MB issue so much as it to do with the complexity of the system itself.

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
if I'm seeing your 4th image correctly - the one taken end on to the race - there appears to a serious number of rollers missing.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
if I'm seeing your 4th image correctly - the one taken end on to the race - there appears to a serious number of rollers missing.

Quantity looks about right but the cage is missing that keeps them spaced apart, the balls are chewed up and it was jammed solid (welded) according to the accompanying text.
The bearing is well knackered and it looks like a bad job has been done previously causing the failure.
I very much doubt the work was from the factory or MB's own staff but hey, lets blame MB anyway.
yorkshire1 said:
Sourced a local s/h hub,complete, bearings were Japanese NTN whereas u/s one was SKF Brazil .stub axle threads cleaned up and now all good
Maintained to the highest standard regardless of cost.
Surely it could have been worth putting new bearings in?
Did the shaft really survive this with no damage from the seized bearing?

Last edited:
OP
Y

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
Quantity looks about right but the cage is missing that keeps them spaced apart, the balls are chewed up and it was jammed solid (welded) according to the accompanying text.
The bearing is well knackered and it looks like a bad job has been done previously causing the failure.
I very much doubt the work was from the factory or MB's own staff but hey, lets blame MB anyway.

Maintained to the highest standard regardless of cost.
Surely it could have been worth putting new bearings in?
Did the shaft really survive this with no damage from the seized bearing?

the bearing wasnt as such seized solid, a few of the rollers must have got chewed up the others welded themselves together .The wheel as such was still turning ok because the outer cup was spinning in the hub, No reason why the shaft wouldnt survive as the inner cone protects it materially from the rollers, The s/h hub was from an accident damaged car with 20,000 miles bearings were stripped and regreased.

My daughter has contacted Mercedes regarding the issue and they are looking into the matter,as they said regardless, the bearing shouldnt have failed.The car has full dealer history and was MOT,d by them last july apparently before being passed on to Motor Depot in august, from who my daughter acquired it in september, On checking .gov Mot site apparently car was last MOT,d middle of september,something doesnt quite add up

Do cars thatve only had 1 Mot not appear on history checker as "no vehicle with that reg can be found" I thought it would give insight into its MOT dates and any issues

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom