R129 soft top windows, Renovo & other options

chardF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 1994 320 R129
I have considered one of these http://www.cabrioservicememelink.nl...cabrio-style-1989-2001-inclusief-montage.html it's an unusual look, but it's grown on me over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it looks like a sensible idea, anyone know of a UK supplier/fitter? I prefer to have the fitter supply the product, it prevents "he said, she said" conversations in case of problems. I did see a UK car for sale with this roof fitted when I was looking for a car a few years ago.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have considered one of these http://www.cabrioservicememelink.nl...cabrio-style-1989-2001-inclusief-montage.html it's an unusual look, but it's grown on me over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm not a fan of those
The issue I see is the thick C pillar (B pillar?) that results will make pulling out of some junctions difficult.
On my daily commute I have an intersection where the road I'm on joins another road at around a 45 degree angle and the only way to see if it's clear to pull out is tilt the passenger headrest forward and look through the passenger rear corner window.

roblloyd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 500SL
Have a look at , https://www.endole.co.uk/company/03276780/car-hood-warehouse-limited
Car Hood Warehouse Limited
Unit D3, Barwell Business Park, Leatherhead Road, Chessington, Surrey, KT9 2NY
All they do are car hoods and most are mercedes. Been there for years , call for a price.
Rob

I'm not a fan of those
The issue I see is the thick C pillar (B pillar?) that results will make pulling out of some junctions difficult.
On my daily commute I have an intersection where the road I'm on joins another road at around a 45 degree angle and the only way to see if it's clear to pull out is tilt the passenger headrest forward and look through the passenger rear corner window.

roblloyd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 500SL
Have a look at , https://www.endole.co.uk/company/03276780/car-hood-warehouse-limited
Car Hood Warehouse Limited
Unit D3, Barwell Business Park, Leatherhead Road, Chessington, Surrey, KT9 2NY
All they do are car hoods and most are mercedes. Been there for years , call for a price.
Rob
Car Hood Warehouse Ltd- Number One In the UK For Replacement Soft Tops

At Car Hood Warehouse you will find friendly staff, speedy response, quality workmanship and satisfied customers. Our service covers all types of convertible so whatever your make and model, if it has a hood we can help you.

We hold the largest stocks of original specification hoods and soft tops in the UK. All are available in vinyl and Mohair fabric for next day delivery to your door.

We can fit your hood for you at our premises in Chessington. We can also offer a mobile fitting service at your home or place of work*. We can also offer where necessary a collection and delivery service using one of our own vehicle transporters.

If you do not see what you require in our online catalogue, call us on 020 8391 5324 or 5326 and we will be only too pleased to help.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Car Hood Warehouse Ltd- Number One In the UK For Replacement Soft Tops

At Car Hood Warehouse you will find friendly staff, speedy response, quality workmanship and satisfied customers. Our service covers all types of convertible so whatever your make and model, if it has a hood we can help you.

We hold the largest stocks of original specification hoods and soft tops in the UK. All are available in vinyl and Mohair fabric for next day delivery to your door.

We can fit your hood for you at our premises in Chessington. We can also offer a mobile fitting service at your home or place of work*. We can also offer where necessary a collection and delivery service using one of our own vehicle transporters.

If you do not see what you require in our online catalogue, call us on 020 8391 5324 or 5326 and we will be only too pleased to help.

I looked at all the UK suppliers but came to the conclusion that I was better off sourcing a top from Germany and getting a local fitter who is experienced in fitting R129 tops to fit it for me. My nice new blue top is now on its way from Markus Huber at www.der-autoausstatter.de and due to be fitted by Howard Sands here in Suffolk at the end of the month. :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I looked at all the UK suppliers but came to the conclusion that I was better off sourcing a top from Germany and getting a local fitter who is experienced in fitting R129 tops to fit it for me. My nice new blue top is now on its way from Markus Huber at www.der-autoausstatter.de and due to be fitted by Howard Sands here in Suffolk at the end of the month. :)
Pleased that you are getting a good one.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Excellent, I got my days in a muddle my car actually goes in on 30th May and should be ready by the end of 31st May. One day may not sound like much but I will be so happy not having to look at the disgusting rear windows on my current top. I've ordered the seals, cables and rain deflector (rubber lip) from my local dealer and now I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. In less than a fortnight my car should be pretty much how I want it cosmetically, wheels done, front wings and new roof done. It will then be time to embark on preventive maintenance starting with renewing the suspension bushes front and rear etc. It's never going to be concours as it's my only car and it is on a budget but it should certainly be a reasonably straight and tidy example. :)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Well as this, Monday, is the last day with my tatty old hood I took some photos and I shall be dropping the car off today at Howard Sands and collecting it on Wednesday hopefully resplendent with it's nice new roof and I shall post some before and after photos. :)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
So half a day later than hoped but my roof is now done, sadly I've been advised to keep it up for at least the next 24 hours to put some give in it as they're a very tight fit when new. Photos of the old roof first, hopefully that's apparent, only two photos of the new roof as there's not much to show, no split windows, no frayed edges etc. :)
DSC_5782.jpg

DSC_5791.jpg

DSC_5793.jpg

DSC_5784.jpg

DSC_5781.jpg

DSC_5799.jpg

DSC_5800.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom