R230 Roof flap problem

Suprapaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 cdi, SL 350
Pardon my dumb question, but what does this flap actually do? I have just discovered that the nearside flap on my 2004 SL350 has disappeared! No idea how or when this happened. Other than aesthetics, is the missing flap going to cause functional problems? The roof seems to go up and down OK. I guess replacing the flap (or more likely the whole panel) using Mercedes parts will be a very expensive exercise.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
David
Have a good look in the boot, including under the spare wheel. That's where I found mine !!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks for the re-assurance. I guess I can live with the untidy look in this good weather until I find sensible priced solution
David
As twistgrip has said David ,aesthetic really and covers over the mech underneath so I guess marginal protection.
No hurry keep checkin breakers is my advice

burystedmunds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r230/2002/500
I have bought this repair kit for the hinge covers "Mercedes R230 SL350 SL500 roof flap repair hinges Tonneau cover a2306900941 114 " from EBay . A simple fix and appears to be doing the job. This supplies parts for both sides which is a good job as about a week after fixing the offside the nearside bust. Thankfully I hadn't lost either of them which can easily happen. I was quoted £1250 by Mercedes for one replacement section so I think £40 for both sides was a bargain. There is another kit sold by someone in the USA which appears to be just a bit of plastic with some sticky tape!!!!
If you look at early SLs for sale on Autotrader you will some for sale with the flap missing.....a common problem.

Mike350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350 2004 3.7 V6
Intriguing as the N/S flap, whilst still there has lost it’s spring or it’s broken. The flap still closes thanks to gravity, but flaps about at speed due to the wind turbulence on my ‘04 SL350. Would you advise replacing the spring, if so where do I get one?

zenteknika

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 2004 350

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Is it easy enough to get under the fixed cover side to screw in the hinge? I couldn't see how this is done very easily ?

Ian at Star Motor Service did the fix for me. If Ian does not pick this Post up to offer an insight as to how he effected the fix you could message him. Fiddly for certain but I do not think the fixed cover was removed.

Mic

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Yes it was a bit fiddly, trim has to come off.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Yes it was a bit fiddly, trim has to come off.

I still haven't gotten round to sorting mine out which came off last year. Luckily I heard it go and was able to retrieve it. With the hinge fix, do you screw the hinge into place or just stick it in place with glue?

Thanks

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
One of mine was off when I bought my car a year ago and I found it in the door packet, the spring has gone but I just clipped it back in and it closes of it's own accord on the first corner I go around. It may disappear one day but I don't tend to hang around even with the roof down and I don't have the windows up when the roof is down. Perhaps I should look at one of these hinge repair kits before it does disappear.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
I fixed one of my flaps today. I made some replacement hinges from thin steel then glued them onto the flap with Plexus. I was able to refit the spring and so it all works perfectly. I'm about to do the other side. Even though it's still OK I can see tiny cracks in it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190710_145915.jpg
    IMG_20190710_145915.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 30

zenteknika

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 2004 350
Intriguing as the N/S flap, whilst still there has lost it’s spring or it’s broken. The flap still closes thanks to gravity, but flaps about at speed due to the wind turbulence on my ‘04 SL350. Would you advise replacing the spring, if so where do I get one?
Another post had a fix where he glued on a thinnish strip of lead to weigh the flap down and into place when driving - seems a plausible fix

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I fixed mine ages ago, but can't remember exactly how, but it's been fine ever since. I think I used the remains of the plastic that was in there, plus a piece of wire. It is invisible and fully functioning. I will take a photo later.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I fixed mine ages ago, but can't remember exactly how, but it's been fine ever since. I think I used the remains of the plastic that was in there, plus a piece of wire. It is invisible and fully functioning. I will take a photo later.

That would be good to see - I still haven't done mine! It just sits on the shelf in the study waiting...

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I spot a good use of a 3D printer...

Funny you say that - I did actually find the 3D file for the hinge part a while ago. Never got round to getting it printed. Thought a wire solution may be better/easier but then did neither.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom