Ex SAAB enthusiast now hoping to enjoy my new CLS just as much

MaxPallas

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS Shooting Break,/2016/350
I had a SAAB 9-5 Aero estate for 12 years, great car to drive, incredible performance in its manual guise, but age took its toll, after almost 200,000 miles it was time for a change, but what will fit the bill? No more SAAB, so I'll "upgrade" I hope that is the correct term without insulting too many SAAB owners, to a CLS Shooting Brake, 350 AMG. Its a 2014 model, with just 20,000 miles, and a snip at something like £30,000 below the new price. That's a whopping depreciation. I hope that it stops after three years! Initial impression is not quite as favourable as I had hoped. Sure, its a luxurious good looking vehicle, but in automatic mode, it somehow lacks the driveability of the old SAAB. I now have an extra 2 cylinders, and 700cc and on paper, another 18 BHP, and almost 50% more torque. I want to love it, maybe our relationship will grow as I get used to it. In Eco mode, the turbo lag is quite a drag, I think it's better in Sport, I need to test it some more to be sure. I've no idea how anyone can achieve the claimed 50 mpg, I've averaged around 35, and I don't hammer it like I did the SAAB that I got around 28 mpg (petrol). It seems that I've exchanged my "rally car" a real wolf in sheeps' clothing, for a vehicle better suited to "driving Miss Daisy" and a sheep looking like a wolf. I hope that I'm proven wrong as our relationship blooms. One last niggle, the COMAND looks good, but the audio quality doesn't have the "edge" the "wow factor" that the SAAB Harmon-Kardon unit had. Time will tell. Wish me luck for my investment.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I also upgraded to MB from Saab and it was the best thing I ever did. I went from a 9-3 2.0t (remapped by Karl to 250hp) to a V8 SL with 70hp more power, more refinement and way better reliability (my Saab was a nightmare).
The delivery of the power is very different - far less boot it and hang on and more steadily building crescendo (with V8 soundtrack thats so addictive).

You've gone from petrol to diesel so will have a very different driving experience just from that single change - even before you factor in manual to auto. Eco is deliberately set to be sluggish changes and a less sporty drive - use Sport mode (I think almost everyone here does?).

Welcome to the world of the Three Pointed Star :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Welcome, the CLS SB is a stunning car and the 350 an excellent engine.

50mpg will not happen, I push 45 on a run and 30 round town in my C350CDi. In gear with a heavy right foot you will be surprised ho quick they are, very smooth which will be a difference, the wave of Torque is staggering.

E is for plodding round town
S is for enjoyment, it sharpens up the throttle response
M is for pushing it

It will take some getting used to as a totally different car to the SAAB, enjoy it, I know I would :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome from Saab land...just realised of the premium brands Saab is the only one I never had!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Welcome from Saab land...just realised of the premium brands Saab is the only one I never had!

My parents had a 9000 Carlsson, now that was a fast car for it's day

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I bought a couple for my previous company Jon but not for me....I liked them a lot

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi and welcome to the forum and the world of MB.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Maxpallas, welcome to the forum :)

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Enjoy the new novelty you have just acquired.....power Oversteer!

It's addictive, and from now on, "Wrong Wheel Drive" just won't do....

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom