Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
No names, but the pessimism in this thread is off the scale. I'm surprised there aren't people hanging from lamp posts.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
No names, but the pessimism in this thread is off the scale. I'm surprised there aren't people hanging from lamp posts.
Pessimism or realism?

Remember, a pessimist is never disappointed.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Pessimism or realism?

Remember, a pessimist is never disappointed.

A realist would need to be physic considering nothing has happened yet. We are only into prliminary negotiations remember.
Nothing is agreed, nothing is signed , but all I read is doom, gloom and despair.
And all from the remainers coincidentally.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A realist would need to be physic considering nothing has happened yet. We are only into prliminary negotiations remember.
Nothing is agreed, nothing is signed , but all I read is doom, gloom and despair.
And all from the remainers coincidentally.
Strange.

All I read is unfounded optimism.
From the leavers coincidentally...

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
How dare you talk such rubbish when my country and countrymen are facing disaster.
Tell it to the 80,000 employees working on Euro Clearance transactions in London... just for starters...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4598794/Brussels-mounts-80bn-raid-City-London.html

- Sorry people, the future is very dark, the future is an outstanding lack of opportunity - all down to Brexquitters!
- When you get your UB40 you'll be able to claim basic unemployment benefit ... (if the Tories don't kill it off as a saving).
- Then right wingers will say you're "bone idle" etc - don't worry, just get over it :) - they said it would be "painful" sometimes...
Says you!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Our future prosperity is very much tied to those countries that are not part of the EU.
We cannot get a better deal with the EU than we have now. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to realise this. Therefore any improvement in our economy MUST come from outside the EU.
Why will we not get a better deal from the EU than we have now? Simple. They cannot offer one as it will negate the point of any country being a member. Why be a member of the EU if you can get a better deal by NOT being int eh EU?
The EU is the second largest global economy (behind the US) so what we lose there has to be made up elsewhere just to stay as we are.
I realise trade will continue with the EU whether we are in or out but its the terms of that trade that have to be worked out - i.e. what tariffs will our exports be subjected to by the EU and what impact will that have on trade volumes and values?
Looking at existing trade figures and saying how wonderful they are may be a false indicator - who knows how much of this is artificially generated trade as a result of getting in before Brexit hits?

I predicted a year ago that we would end up with a watered down version of what we already have... we will still accept immigration and we will still be bound by some EU laws. There have already been suggestions coming from the political hierarchy that this may well come to pass. Frankly I'd be surprised if it doesn't unless we end up with no agreement.

So if thats the case what will we have gained? We will have gained the ability to make SOME of our own laws, choose our own trading partners and make deals with them (almost all smaller economies than our own), perhaps have a limited say over EU immigration (which frankly the UK has never been good at controlling from outside the EU) and we will lose our vote in the EU.

Great result. [/sarcasm]
No one is or was expecting us to get a better trade deal than the one we have now, thats stating the obvious. Tariffs work both ways.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No one is or was expecting us to get a better trade deal than the one we have now, thats stating the obvious. Tariffs work both ways.
And thats my point.
Tariffs will hurt our exports. We then have to make up the deficit from exports to other countries - the ones 'queuing up to do business with us'. So effectively what we will have achieved is potentially reducing our exports to the second largest economy in the world in the hope we can make up the shortfall with the 3rd (China), 4th (Japan) or other economies smaller than ours (we are sixth (Germany is though as part of the EU can I suppose be discounted). We will therefore need to export more to those smaller economies then we lose in exports from the second largest one.
As for tariffs working both ways tariffs for incoming goods... who do you think pays those?
Give you a clue... its not the exporters....
Inflation anyone?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
However, that assumes that the EU stays together as a monolithic entity...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

If I had my way... I could think of a few ;)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
And thats my point.
Tariffs will hurt our exports. We then have to make up the deficit from exports to other countries - the ones 'queuing up to do business with us'. So effectively what we will have achieved is potentially reducing our exports to the second largest economy in the world in the hope we can make up the shortfall with the 3rd (China), 4th (Japan) or other economies smaller than ours (we are sixth (Germany is though as part of the EU can I suppose be discounted). We will therefore need to export more to those smaller economies then we lose in exports from the second largest one.
As for tariffs working both ways tariffs for incoming goods... who do you think pays those?
Give you a clue... its not the exporters....
Inflation anyone?

Oh yeah, inflation. That's why things cost more!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Christ Dave, even for you that is melodramatic twaddle. Facing disaster my a*se.

Ifs buts and maybes. The disaster for this country would be if we stayed in a toxic, failing EU.

I very much doubt there will be significant job losses and any that there are will likely be replaced by other opportunities.

Reach for the stars and you may get to the moon, look for sh*t and you will find it.

It amazes me how the papers and population of this great country just want to do it down. We should be proud of what we can achieve as an independent nation and we should all reach in the same direction.

Even arch-remainer Ken Clarke has accepted Brexit today.

You're just being a smartar** by ignoring the reason for my post - it was because you said 80,000 job losses would be worth it which I see you choose not to repeat in this post and change your tune to "I very much doubt...".

My post was based on the news that the EU are drafting a law to take the Euro clearing away - and there are 80,000 employees who could be affected. - Your response was it would be worth it.
- I sincerely hope you don't get your wish. And once again, shame on you.

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
You're just being a smartar** by ignoring the reason for my post - it was because you said 80,000 job losses would be worth it which I see you choose not to repeat in this post and change your tune to "I very much doubt...".

My post was based on the news that the EU are drafting a law to take the Euro clearing away - and there are 80,000 employees who could be affected. - Your response was it would be worth it.
- I sincerely hope you don't get your wish. And once again, shame on you.
Behave Dave, if you read my post I said IF it happened the job losses would be a small price to pay. And it is pretty hypocrical of you to be crying over this, you are normally shouting that the people who's jobs are being referred to should be strung up!

They can draft whatever they like, doesnt mean it will be approved, or followed through. IF it happens, Could result in, Might mean that.....

And frankly IF it does happen, it shows the EU to be the anti competitive, protectionist cabal they really are.

And IF it happens, it would also legally have to affect other equivalent area like New York.

Notice the number of IFs involved.

Shame on me nothing. Shame on you for continuing to find every negative you can. Lighten up. It is a new beginning.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
could : used to say something is possible.

Reading the newspapers without the necessary understanding and attendant caution is a recipe for continued confusion.

The Daily Express regularly reports of medical breakthroughs around the corner, coming soon, after human trials etc surely most people get the drift of this speculative genre ...............hopefully.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You don't need to read newspapers to figure out the basics of what is likely to happen. A schoolchild could follow the logic.

As for the EU being protectionist they aren't a patch on the US.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Was it not pessimism and fear and lies that got us into this Brexit situation. I think it is only right that some of us should be concerned for our futures. It actually could be a cunning plan by the rest of the world to conquer us by stealth, or even starvation...
Now who would want to live in a country like this? Everyone...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Was it not pessimism and fear and lies that got us into this Brexit situation. I think it is only right that some of us should be concerned for our futures. It actually could be a cunning plan by the rest of the world to conquer us by stealth, or even starvation...
Now who would want to live in a country like this? Everyone...

Your right we were promised pestilence and flood, all fear and lies spread by the short thinkers starting the day after the vote, we got almost the opposite we have had though had a long overdue correction in the pounds value which has led to a long needed surge in exports or sales for Britain PLC.
A true double edged sword but its value does seem to have settled.

Certainly a period of uncertainty in many areas to be overcome but the opportunities are vast for the people who make the money that pays for the public services we all need and enjoy.

A good new story in the Guardian of all places;
Jaguar Land Rover to recruit 5,000 staff after record year of sales

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ruit-5000-of-staff-after-record-year-of-sales

There are many more the future is a lot brighter than the doom mongers foretold.

Freed from Euro La La Land an institution obsessed with its own survival and indifferent to the long term damage its policies have inflicted we will fly.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Frontstep, so nice to see your crystal ball is still working and you can predict that we will do so well.

If you would be so kind, could you please consult it and ask it what the winning EuroMillions numbers are? I'm sure you won't have any use for them as you seem to dislike anything to do with the word Euro but I might find them useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom