MB Fire opal red issues

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Some owners have had their cars bare metal (allegedly) resprayed. Apparently MB Manchester are good at getting this done FOC through MB. However I wonder whether the new paint jobs will stand the test of time or if the problem will recur. Similar shades of red from other manufacturers dont appear to have this blistering problem so why MB?
If my MB was one of those that needed a re-paint I would certainly insist that another manufacturers, Audi maybe, materials were used rather than MB

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
My wife's 14 plate opal red SLK55 (8K miles), is currently in exactly the scenario you all here are discussing. In our case very minor blistering, currently need to look for it, but am assured it will get worse.
I have dug deep into this, this issue only appears to effect metal panels, not plastic panel/parts. It also seems to be effected by exposure to light, be it UV or what ever, cars left outside, seem more effected than cars garaged. I am told the paint is delaminating from the primer, effecting cars from 12-15,. Along these lines, the majority of this issue appear's to be on panels at high line, roof, bonnet, boot lid, top of wings and doors, but apparently less so on lower side of doors and wings, emphasising the UV theory, albeit I am no paint expert here.
Whilst I have no written evidence to this, my info is Mercedes have over 100K cars needing paint work, initially, the first cars were totally stripped, ie; screens out, trims off, and back to metal and repainted, however, that was costing too much according to MB, so am told todays current remedy is to mask, strip paint and re paint. Personally, we are mortified to have to go this route, but we are in their repaint system now, and heres the next thing, we are in a 12 month waiting list to have this done, have our car abused by some paint shop, and wait 12 months for the privilege, oh joy. Given their 30 year paint warranty, seems our car may be going in a few times if it is not right, or the repaint fails. Not a great position to be in.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
The problem started well before 12 plate according to some owners.

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
The problem started well before 12 plate according to some owners.
Appears so from what the guys here have posted, I read through the whole thread this morning, Turbopete gave a good explanation to this problem in his post, very much as it has been described to myself by various Mercedes people, absolute pain to be caught like this though! Ugh!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
It does make you wonder why they don't just stop selling that colour?

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I agree. It does seem a bit odd. I, like others, have heard of Mercedes repainting these cars on quite a frequent basis.

Problem is, if you buy one thats been repainted by MB and it re-occurs 3-4 years down the line, I suspect you will find it difficult to get them to foot the bill.

I agree that its a paint formulation issue and not a contamination issue. Especially to re-occur after such a long time.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Because they've not admitted to themselves that it's a problem..!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance

Because it is a nice colour and if they stopped that colour they would lose some sales.
Bean counters check what they make by continuing, against what they lose by having to repaint.
Selling red is a winner overall.

The big issue used to be rust (not sure if it still is on cars made today).
Mercedes were well behind other makes on rust prevention but gave a 30 year corrosion warranty anyway.
They knew it would cost them but the warranty sold more cars and vans. Bean counters did their sums and said they could offer such a warranty providing the dealers gave a strong fight against any claim and they put in stipulations such as oil types and servicing clauses even if they had no effect on rust or prevention.
Clever marketing but it puts a very sour taste in the mouth of anyone affected by it.

Also remember the V6 balancer issues with worn cogs that were known to have bad (weak) metal used in production.
Mercedes refused all claims even though they knew the customer had the moral high ground.
It makes me wonder how much longer Mercedes can continue before they're knocked off their prestige pedestal.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Because they've not admitted to themselves that it's a problem..!
It would seem then that MB have been buying the exact same spec of red paint from the same supplier / manufacturer over a period of years. Surely though the specification of paints has changed over time? You can envisage in the States that the manufacturer of the paint would be ultimately be held liable.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes, not good!

A few people on that thread have had the issue re-occur after bare metal resprays, roughly 2-3 years afterwards.

In my mind that means one should avoid the colour altogether, and that there is no alternative.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Yes, not good!

A few people on that thread have had the issue re-occur after bare metal resprays, roughly 2-3 years afterwards.

In my mind that means one should avoid the colour altogether, and that there is no alternative.

respray with Ford or another manufacturers paint. ive only ever heard of this on MBs so it MUST be something to do with the paint formula, the painting process etc . my money is on either a metal reaction or an issue with the paint formulation when it can re-occur after a respray

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Silicon contamination in their system somewhere which they've not dealt with....despite new paint batches the same happens over and over...would like to think its nothing as simple as that though after all this time.....

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 September 2014 3500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R231
A bit more history on the Fire Opal syndrome. Mostly to suggest that no-one, ever, should buy a Merc of that colour.
Our Fire Opal 172 SLK350 was 'back to metal' resprayed courtesy Merc: Twice!!
In fact we are now SL owners as a direct result...
Note the SL is Silver. (Hi Ho?. No never mind...)
The respray saga is, probably, less than half the cause of disgruntlement.
The process of which I may write further in the future, requires them to strip the car of all trim and for several weeks, unpowered, the various electronics are lobotomised.
And, however skilfully it may apply itself, the bodyshop cannot reassemble to the standard of the factory.
So we experienced a long and trying time involving 23 (that's right; 23!)return journeys attempting to get the matter put right.
I shall stop there, because the Merc cheque hasn't cleared yet!
Caveat emptor.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
^ I think that says it all!!

possibly but I think the real question should be, why don't other manufacturers have this issue? silicone would show up as fish eyes when the paint was being sprayed/drying (seen it so many times its unreal!) which means that it can only be either something related to the metal (as it seems the issue doesn't affect the plastics that are painted) or something in the paint, which IMO should mean that the plastics should be affected too.

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
A bit more history on the Fire Opal syndrome. Mostly to suggest that no-one, ever, should buy a Merc of that colour.
Our Fire Opal 172 SLK350 was 'back to metal' resprayed courtesy Merc: Twice!!
In fact we are now SL owners as a direct result...
Note the SL is Silver. (Hi Ho?. No never mind...)
The respray saga is, probably, less than half the cause of disgruntlement.
The process of which I may write further in the future, requires them to strip the car of all trim and for several weeks, unpowered, the various electronics are lobotomised.
And, however skilfully it may apply itself, the bodyshop cannot reassemble to the standard of the factory.
So we experienced a long and trying time involving 23 (that's right; 23!)return journeys attempting to get the matter put right.
I shall stop there, because the Merc cheque hasn't cleared yet!
Caveat emptor.

Hi Phunn,
Given I am caught up in this self same scenario you describe, myself, I would be very much appreciative if you could find the time to to further write up your experiences in this sorry saga, and any advice you may like to add to help me out here, seems you have already been where i may be going...! what an absolute pain it all is, Ugh.

Regards

Ricky

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Phunn,
Given I am caught up in this self same scenario you describe, myself, I would be very much appreciative if you could find the time to to further write up your experiences in this sorry saga, and any advice you may like to add to help me out here, seems you have already been where i may be going...! what an absolute pain it all is, Ugh.

Regards

Ricky
Well, if you really want to know about this VERY thorny topic here's a link:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-general-discussion/294489-paint-issues.html
The link really does 'say it all'.
Depending where you languish in the saga, all the way from the horrible surprise of first discovery through the presentation of the offending car to your nearest Merc. bodyshop for 'inspection' and the necessary 'factory approval' of remedial work, to the lengthy wait while the paint persons do their work, I can only wish you well. You have my heartfelt sympathy. If you think I can help to ease the process in some way then just squeak up!

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
possibly but I think the real question should be, why don't other manufacturers have this issue? silicone would show up as fish eyes when the paint was being sprayed/drying (seen it so many times its unreal!) which means that it can only be either something related to the metal (as it seems the issue doesn't affect the plastics that are painted) or something in the paint, which IMO should mean that the plastics should be affected too.

My memory of the problem (and I am trying to suppress that memory...!!) is that it affected the entire car, metal and plastic. The ENTIRE car was resprayed. Trying to get a match between new paint on metal and old paint on plastic may have been a factor, but my abiding memory is the discovery of 'pimples' on every surface. They appeared virtually overnight after we had owned the car for twelve months. And the car was three years old when we bought it, unpimpled! from a Merc Main Dealer.
A close chum bought his Fire Opal car brand new, and his grin (well, not too wide) of schadenfreude) when he learned of the pimple pox on our car rapidly faded when his four year old car suddenly suffered the same fate.
Many theories have been advanced regarding the cause. Evidence, in particular the lack of any official comment from the manufacturer which has resprayed vast numbers of Fire Opal cars, points the finger directly at the factory.
The real question is; why are they continuing to sell cars of that colour of whatever age through their network to unsuspecting members of the public?!

Top Bottom