Staying safe in London

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi all

I spend a lot of time riding around central London on a motorbike.

Recently, incidents of moped thieves causing terror has risen. They ride around unabated due to lack of police resources and get away with whatever they like.

This type of behaviour has steadily risen year on year for the past 5 years, in Great London as well. This scene is now a daily occurence:

I see them personally, every time I ride. Through red lights, up on pavements, etc

More concerning is that, over the past few months they have become more brazen and are now attacking people with weapons (acid, metal bars etc). This includes people on other motorbikes in London whilst waiting at traffic lights etc.

Theft of my bike whilst I am not on it is one thing, but how can I mitigate these forms of attack?

I am fully prepared to protect myself with a weapon, but I cant keep many appreciably sized weapons stashed on the bike (and I don't care what anyone says on the legality of it, if the police arent going to protect/prevent this then I WILL take it into my own hands if it happens to me).

Last edited:

Alex Green

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500/2000/V8 5.0L
Spare motorbike chain. Swing that around and people will leave you alone.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spare motorbike chain. Swing that around and people will leave you alone.

Hmm, a lot of weight to be carrying on my torso in the event of an accident though.

Alex Green

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500/2000/V8 5.0L
Doesn't need to be a whole chain. A spare section 'in case you damage a link??' 10 or 12" should do it.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Doesn't need to be a whole chain. A spare section 'in case you damage a link??' 10 or 12" should do it.

Ah I see, thought you meant security type chain. Not a bad idea.

Alex Green

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500/2000/V8 5.0L
Or a heavy duty bikers belt with metal on it or decent sized buckle.

Might not be the most elegant thing to be doing when trying to defend yourself though. Might scare them more than the threat of damage if you look like you're trying to get your kecks off when they're coming towards you :)

Alex Green

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500/2000/V8 5.0L
I'm not a biker so can't comment on your situation specifically but I found the best thing I ever did was get my black belt in karate. Gives you the mental info to assess a situation and improve your defense.

Do boxing now and I think I'd be OK in a lot of situations but if you're confronted by someone with a 20" machete or bottle of acid there's not a great deal you can do except get on your toes and leave the area, always the best option really.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Couldn't help notice how the "presenter" of the second video weaved in and out of the traffic on all sides,
still the only saving grace is these ferals aren't equipped too often with guns.

There are plenty of Police for certain events and when the fall out from this crime wave hits high there will be a clamp down.
There is no identifiable PC angle so it won't be so high profile if we could weave a race or LGBT victim profile who knows ?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I'm not a biker so can't comment on your situation specifically but I found the best thing I ever did was get my black belt in karate. Gives you the mental info to assess a situation and improve your defense.

Do boxing now and I think I'd be OK in a lot of situations but if you're confronted by someone with a 20" machete or bottle of acid there's not a great deal you can do except get on your toes and leave the area, always the best option really.

Definitely I have "done a bit" but there are no rules on the street and the best course of action is get away from the danger if not dirty, dirty, dirty quickly.

Alex Green

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl500/2000/V8 5.0L
Definitely I have "done a bit" but there are no rules on the street and the best course of action is get away from the danger if not dirty, dirty, dirty quickly.
Totally agree. Unconventional moves and as fast as possible. Otherwise leave before things get out of hand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Alex, unbelievable times! I believe some advice from Carl350 via PM might serve you well sir....

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Do you really see them everytime you ride? Going through a red light or riding on a pavement does not equate to it being stolen/and even less so about to be involved in a crime.

I suppose just generally try and look like you have no valuables and are not worth being robbed and other than that don't worry about it. If they want your bike and have no concern for the law they'll get it, but I'm pretty sure it's still statistically very unlikely to happen.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you really see them everytime you ride? Going through a red light or riding on a pavement does not equate to it being stolen/and even less so about to be involved in a crime.

I suppose just generally try and look like you have no valuables and are not worth being robbed and other than that don't worry about it. If they want your bike and have no concern for the law they'll get it, but I'm pretty sure it's still statistically very unlikely to happen.

100%. They are identifiable by being 2 up on the scooters, with no numbers plates, no helmets and balaclavas. They are easily separated from general miscreants on scooters.

They are often pushing a 3rd bike with their legs.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Problem for the plod is that if any (illegal) rider is being perused at speed they just remove their helmet and the police back off to save the fatality investigation should there be an accident.

Obviously it is the fault of the police during the chase if it goes wrong , nothing at all to do with the fact the fleeing rider has broken the law in some way :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was a program recently where a London rider had died as the result of the "chase" , there were nearly riots (against the police) in the local area as they figured it must have been the fault of the law as why were they chasing him - well because he had committed a crime and it was him that chose to try and outrun an X5 on a 125 scooter , but no one seemed to grasp that and ALL the blame was leveled at the police.:confused::confused:

Maybe the UK poilce should adopt the Brazilian plod method , shoot first and ask questions later , maybe :

Kenny

Last edited:

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
Problem for the plod is that if any (illegal) rider is being perused at speed they just remove their helmet and the police back off to save the fatality investigation should their be an accident.

Obviously it is the fault of the police during the chase if it goes wrong , nothing at all to do with the fact the fleeing rider has broken the law in some way :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was a program recently where a London rider had died as the result of the "chase" , there were nearly riots (against the police) in the local area as they figured it must have been the fault of the law as why were they chasing him - well because he had committed a crime and it was him that chose to try and outrun an X5 on a 125 scooter , but no one seemed to grasp that and ALL the blame was leveled at the police.:confused::confused:

Maybe the UK poilce should adopt the Brazilian plod method , shoot first and ask questions later , maybe :

Kenny
Wouldn't have bothered calling the ambulance.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The MO in London is they remove their helmets so that the police will not pursue them because it is too dangerous. You couldn't make it up.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Maybe get one of these.
baton.jpg

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Just be aware, that may very well be classed as "going equipped".

What about a pick helve? ("Just picked it up at the DIY shop officer")
Hide it somewhere on the bike and try to make it look like it is part of the bike.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Video 1 is my local bike dealership! My mates dad used to be the manager of the spares dept!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom