New R230 SL500 Owner

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
It is almost 50,000 miles since I introduced some Techron........maybe the car is due for another shot soon?

Mic

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 September 2014 3500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R231
Perhaps rather like this driver!?
On the Techron front, Halfords seem to prefer Wynns and, having full regard to commercial sensitivities, they have the advantage of being just down the road!
This is their stuff:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...ves/wynns-formula-gold-petrol-treatment-500ml
Apparently several boy (as opposed to 'old goat') racers over five years of doubtless impeccable taste and utmost propriety have awarded their highest accolades.
Any engineer-type thoughts would be music to the ears of this sometime cynic...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hmmmm... I treat all these products with a healthy degree of scepticism...
Much of the efficacy of these products can be put down to placebo effect.... people put this in and it says it should be better so they look for it to be better to justify their expense.
Any additive is a guess both by the manufacturer and the user as to what interation it will have with the fuel. If you want to clean your fuel system run a few tanks of v-power through the tank instead - at least the additives in that are designed to be complementary to the fuel and to work as an integrated package.

A good analogy I saw was to think of fuel and the additive pack the manufacturers use in terms of it being a cake. A successful recipe that does as you expect.

So if you think of it as a cake with 2 eggs as part of the recipe does adding 4 eggs make the cake better or just make it a sodden mess?

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Or, perhaps, a soufflé. Either way it will not improve your engine...

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
...............................Total mileage is 45135. Since acquisition on 1 June 2017, the car (should I believe the dashboard data?) suggests that fuel consumption, over 929 miles, and 34.11 hours at 27mph, is 20.8mpg.
That includes maybe 100 miles on the M4 (on the home-bound, day of collection, journey!) with the under-engine tray sharpening itself on the road to destruction with consequent brick-like aerodynamics!
The supplier, with whom one is, to date, 'well pleased' did the 'right thing'.
We have done no long (ish) journeys to date, but 40 miles or so with mixed road conditions gets around 22/23mpg..........

Your nearly there, give it a few miles and you should see something like this in your display. Our car has done 120k, on a long journey we can get 31mpg quite easily. :)

DSC01136 (Small).JPG

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that.
Yesterday the stats on a return journey, 50% roofless ( 66% ish along the M4) were 76 Miles, 49mph, 1.32 Hr, 26.5mpg.
Perhaps I should reset the reading on the display because my statistic presently includes an anomalous, non-repeating (I sincerely trust) event, mentioned above.
The mortal remains of the detached under-engine tray were laid to rest in the plastic recycling bin today.
They showed grave signs of abuse. Evidence included a cross-head, self-tapping screw which had been 'road-filed' down to its' shoulder!
Since the fix, the car now slithers, seal-like through the air.
We're off, soon, on a lengthy journey to the Far East (Radlett, Hertfordshire...), attending a wedding. It will be interesting to see the results (of the journey too...).
Even as I type, the motor is 'on charge'.
Our site gurus recommended the CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger, which arrived (twelve hours after placing the order with Amazon!) on Friday.
So far it has 'done the trick' on a recalcitrant lawn-mower battery, and that of the family run-about, before being unleashed, earlier today, on the R230 'Consumer' battery, which I suspect was feeling neglected. We have had the car just two months during which it spent three weeks in storage. On fire up thereafter it was displaying the 'consumer...unavailable' message on a few occasions.
The consumer battery reached the (lucky?!) number 7 (from an initial number 2) after around eight hours, so now the starter battery is receiving attention.
The latter started on number 4. Not bad, I think. We'll see how it has progressed towards full charge in the morning.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I was getting the consumers offline message on my SL, the CTEK did a good job of charging the battery but ultimately to keep thd charge for longer than a week i had to replace the battery.

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The CTEK sequence completed without demur and (coupled, no doubt, with a little light 'airing' of the car) seems to have cured the 'consumers' problem. Let's hope it stays that way for a while.
The trip ( mentioned above) went well and the first 'leg', mostly M4, produced the following stats.
arjyDQfngNMRH-fyGKN7MOWAo6u8qkFQbIGbD5q7vPrVujfPK20HmuZP12aJ3kuDRI3dhBQQ5O0ytNdSH6o4KG9b_WAeV_5AnsVGLc6cKjt7sIBx2gMCbRfXBF_91JHHz6RmtfH-yQ=w1716-h965-no

More practise will be required to get to the point, also mentioned above by 00slk, where 'we can get 31mpg quite easily'!!

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I hear. And if your 'driving experience' is further enhanced by using skills to improve efficient progress... Tee Hee.....

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
So I hear. And if your 'driving experience' is further enhanced by using skills to improve efficient progress... Tee Hee.....

Fully agree, less pits stops :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom