Diesels

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I don't think it has that much to do with politics. The question was never if but how quickly it would happen.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
If
As we are dragging every thread down into the mire of politics, if Labour were to get in does anyone think they would reverse this??? They'd likely speed it up.

This is happening.
If you don't think that anything to do with an industry that employs 1M people and brings in £20Bn in VAT plus all the other tax revenue is not linked to "the mire of politics" then imho you are incredibly naive.

Yes it's happening and it's already a political and financial shambles!

Noelmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500/2005/4966
And there was me thinking it was due to pollution levels in cities killing people prematurely.
Whatever happened to the dream of nuclear powered cars ( you can tell I was born in the 50's!).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I don't think it has that much to do with politics. The question was never if but how quickly it would happen.

Answer- how quickly could it be made acceptable to the Western population at large.

Party A- we will kill off all IC cars and force you down the EV route. It's happening. Deal with it. Oh, and social welfare stuff too.

Party B- we'll let you keep your cars as they are. And social welfare stuff. Vote for us!

Now considering that a one minute delay stopped on a motorway costs the economy £1m per lane at rush hour, what will the opportunity cost be to force those willing to go along with it into EVs? Add to that I can see much political capital to be made from continuing the status quo...

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
That's my point. Pollution. Whichever party was in govt would be doing this.

Having worked in London for years mon-fri between late 90s and mid 2000s I would come back north each weekend with a slight cough and jet black nostrils.

I'd quite happily see that foul air gone.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
And there was me thinking it was due to pollution levels in cities killing people prematurely.
Whatever happened to the dream of nuclear powered cars ( you can tell I was born in the 50's!).

Ah, there's quite a cost- benefit size tradeoff. For warships the size break is around 35,000 tons dependent on mission. Cars don't quite factor...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's my point. Whichever party was in govt would be doing this.

Having worked in London for years mon-fri between late 90s and mid 2000s I would come back north each weekend with a slight cough and jet black nostrils.

I'd quite happily see that foul air gone.

That was my point. Whichever party was doing this would become horrendously unpopular without a definable viable alternative prime mover to offer in place. Without it, it's just persecution of the motorist writ very large, large enough to drive a new "Dead Dinosaur Power Party" through.

Btw- avoiding working in London avoids the pollution ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That was my point. Whichever party was doing this would become horrendously unpopular without a definable viable alternative prime mover to offer in place. Without it, it's just persecution of the motorist writ very large, large enough to drive a new "Dead Dinosaur Power Party" through.

Btw- avoiding working in London avoids the pollution ;)
I'm very good at avoiding pollution..... ;)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I'm very good at avoiding pollution..... ;)
Unfortunately I am not. My office is on the harbour wall. I counted 11 Ships/Boats in the harbour on Wednesday and probably 75% of them had their generators running. So much for fresh Sea air. :rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Unfortunately I am not. My office is on the harbour wall. I counted 11 Ships/Boats in the harbour on Wednesday and probably 75% of them had their generators running. So much for fresh Sea air. :rolleyes:
Does the prevailing westerly wind not blow it away from you?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Does the prevailing westerly wind not blow it away from you?
If it is a Westerly yes, it is a South Westerly to-day so should be no problem. Northerlies and Easterlies are the problem as the office is the south side of the Harbour :rolleyes:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Noelmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500/2005/4966
I think if the automotive industry had used the cost of cheating emmisons and placed it in battery technology the problem would be solved by now. If it wasn't for the likes of Elon Musk the big three would still be telling everyone electric cars are a dream. They (Ford, GM, Chrysler, DB, BMW etc )may be big companies but history has told us all that without outside pressure they'll continue to **** hydrocarbons up a wall, (and that's a statement from someone who has worked for them for 20 years). We are seeing a change, and the future is bright.
There will be supply problems, but let the oil companies realise their petrol/derv stations won't be refuelling cars in a few years time , and then watch them invest in energy, i.e. The grid, and they will sort out the electric grid so it's resilient enough, its commerce, and capitalism. It will be sorted, because there is a profit, simples.

Pullman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1981 500SL_1999 500SL_(2002 CL600 sold) 2003 500SL
Thanks

No city visits planned,think it might be best to sell

Thanks
Well:- are you happy with the car? . do you want to sell your Merc at rock bottom prices?. What you going to purchase as a replacement because petrol motors will suffer the same fate?.. Wouldn't worry at the moment. Enjoy luxury travel. With great club meetings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
I think if the automotive industry had used the cost of cheating emmisons and placed it in battery technology the problem would be solved by now. If it wasn't for the likes of Elon Musk the big three would still be telling everyone electric cars are a dream. They (Ford, GM, Chrysler, DB, BMW etc )may be big companies but history has told us all that without outside pressure they'll continue to **** hydrocarbons up a wall, (and that's a statement from someone who has worked for them for 20 years). We are seeing a change, and the future is bright.
There will be supply problems, but let the oil companies realise their petrol/derv stations won't be refuelling cars in a few years time , and then watch them invest in energy, i.e. The grid, and they will sort out the electric grid so it's resilient enough, its commerce, and capitalism. It will be sorted, because there is a profit, simples.

Here comes the Elon Musk fanboy. Are batteries not dirty to produce? What if the millions if cars being made each years required batteries? Would that not spike the CO2 anyway? Might make cities cleaner somewhat, but the overall damage is only going to be moved to third world contries that make the batteries. The air quality there is **** poor already anyway, we will just finish them off.

Pullman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1981 500SL_1999 500SL_(2002 CL600 sold) 2003 500SL
Here comes the Elon Musk fanboy. Are batteries not dirty to produce? What if the millions if cars being made each years required batteries? Would that not spike the CO2 anyway? Might make cities cleaner somewhat, but the overall damage is only going to be moved to third world contries that make the batteries. The air quality there is **** poor already anyway, we will just finish them off.

exactly .. I did read somewhere that those particular types of battery are NOT RECYCLABLE .. They are not the same as the lead acid batteries which are fitted to the standard vehicle. Could someone in the know confirm this?

Dave

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom