C-class 2007-2010 buying tips advice please.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Mine was the PSA derived one. It was fitted to 04 onwards S40 (The Mk2 one that looked like a shrunken S60).
yes but still the early version of the engine. the later one, which I have, wasn't released until around 2007. we tried an early V70 with a Renault diesel IIRC. at the time the non turbo C220 diesel (202) we had was quicker than the 2.5 turbodiesel V70!!! ive had no dealings with more recent Volvo diesels but it always seemed such a shame that such a decent car could mess up with their diesel engines

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Just to update we had to take a few days off the car hunt for family stuff but have been intensively looking for the past week. We had ruled out a CLK as if she were to go back to a round headlamp model she prefers the size/styling of the C-class coupe around 2005/2006. In fact we've seen some very attractive ones in silver with the glass roof like these which we may look at...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708027973503

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708148338127

Older and cheaper than we'd planned but that's not problem if condition is good.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Just to update we had to take a few days off the car hunt for family stuff but have been intensively looking for the past week. We had ruled out a CLK as if she were to go back to a round headlamp model she prefers the size/styling of the C-class coupe around 2005/2006. In fact we've seen some very attractive ones in silver with the glass roof like these which we may look at...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708027973503

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708148338127

Older and cheaper than we'd planned but that's not problem if condition is good.

Just had a look at these:

WK05 HWC: I don't like a large number of previous owners (5) I think. Also the Engine Management Light was an advisory at the last MOT. If you go to see it, check that it works and hasn't been bypassed or the bulb removed. In this case, the low mileage for the year could be a problem with for example the DPF, if fitted.

WF07 BWC: Good MOT history, but there is a bit of mis-alignment at the n/s front bumper. PErsonally, if everything else is OK on this one, I wouldn't be worried about the mileage unless it has been used for towing a heavy caravan all these miles!

Ernie

Just a quick edit...No 2 was photgraphed at a private house; No 1 in a car park. Also, I don't the advert for No 1!!

Last edited:
OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Ernie... great summary.

Like you I would not pursue the 05 plate for those various reasons.

Phoned after the 07 plate... the history and owner sounded super genuine. Happy about the light weight towing it's done and may view this weekend. Only thing it's inside the M25 and I'm allergic to travelling there!

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Ernie... great summary.

Like you I would not pursue the 05 plate for those various reasons.

Phoned after the 07 plate... the history and owner sounded super genuine. Happy about the light weight towing it's done and may view this weekend. Only thing it's inside the M25 and I'm allergic to travelling there!

If I wasn't 400 miles away, I would be happy to look at it with you even with the M25 which we are not unfamiliar with due to having had a daughter and her family in Orpington and then Bromley for the last 15 years. It might be worth confirming that the gearbox oil has had a change within living memory. According to schedule, I think it should be done at 37k and not again, but most believe that every 37k keeps it in good condition. Let us know how you get on when you view.

Ernie

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Ernie. Bit busy until the weekend... as it seems are many sellers... so I'm drawing up a list of possibles if they are still for sale in 2 days.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can I ask you guys are there any known issues with the autobox in the C-Class from 2005-2010? I understand the need for fluid changes to keep them in the best condition but what are the failures you risk if fluid changes have been missed. Are the boxes heavily reliant on electronics?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Can I ask you guys are there any known issues with the autobox in the C-Class from 2005-2010? I understand the need for fluid changes to keep them in the best condition but what are the failures you risk if fluid changes have been missed. Are the boxes heavily reliant on electronics?
The years you have selected have two auto boxes within that timespan ..the 5g and 7g box . Like you say , regular oil and filter changes for both boxes at 40k is good future proofing . I prefer the 7g , but the 5g I have is also very good .

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I have managed to persuade Mrs D that she will not get every one of the spec items she wishes so to look more at the overall balance of attributes of any particular car (except she will not have black or white cars in any circumstances).

So we decided to go down with the cash to buy this tomorrow... gutted to find out a little while ago it has sold.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708118258866

Wonder if a forum person might have bought it?

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I have managed to persuade Mrs D that she will not get every one of the spec items she wishes so to look more at the overall balance of attributes of any particular car (except she will not have black or white cars in any circumstances).

So we decided to go down with the cash to buy this tomorrow... gutted to find out a little while ago it has sold.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708118258866

Wonder if a forum person might have bought it?

Pity because that looked like a genuine car and it has clearly been well maintained, even if the owner took the last mile out of the tyres!

Are you still planning to look at the C Coupe?

Ernie

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The C Coupe is on hold but still a possibility... as you do we'd talked ourselves out of it in favour of heavily coming down on the side of the grey CLK above... which of course about 2wks ago was a model we said was off the list! We are looking and waiting a few days to see if a genuine private sale CLK comes up in the right colour/trim combo over the weekend.

sineda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B180 CDi SE
I was looking into buying a C saloon but want it in petrol because I'm tired of diesel. I'm not convinced of the 1.6 litre engines on these but would go for something like a 2.0 litre. I reckon that petrol C are less favoured and/or dearer to the current market and as such would be deemed rare and cheaper if found - this is talking about up to 2.0 capacity, because C63 is a different ball game lol. What do you guys think about the 2008-2010 petrol line-up?

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
I was looking into buying a C saloon but want it in petrol because I'm tired of diesel. I'm not convinced of the 1.6 litre engines on these but would go for something like a 2.0 litre. I reckon that petrol C are less favoured and/or dearer to the current market and as such would be deemed rare and cheaper if found - this is talking about up to 2.0 capacity, because C63 is a different ball game lol. What do you guys think about the 2008-2010 petrol line-up?

Mines a 2008 V6 petrol 3.5, good mpg and performance (272 hp), it fits right in the middle between a low power C and a high performance C class.
I'm very happy with my decision as the car came with lots of extras too, everything I had on my wish list and more.
The only downside is the excise duty bracket but later model 350 petrols have reduced emissions and around 300 horses I believe.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

My father has a 2010 C250CGi estate 1.8 twin turbo petrol, brilliant engine - He is selling it ;)

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK getting a bit serious now. We've spent half an hour looking at a CLK nearby. Just a humble (engine size wise) 2008 2.1lit auto in silver with light leather interior but what a lovely car. Very good history and mint inside and out.

Main question... it has (from new as far as I can see) an AMG body kit. The sills have a slight flare at either end, the wheels are different to many we've seen and the front discs are drilled. Does this make it a sport suspension and what else do you get with an AMG kit?

If anyone knows we are going back to drive and maybe buy in about an hour so a quick response much appreciated!

Edit... I see it is called a CDI 220 Sport and it looks just like this one but with a light interior... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708128282368

So what changes are there on the sport model over standard... just suspension? And what do those +/- buttons do that are on the inside of the front seats?

As far as we can tell all the elec bits seems to work OK inc the (to us) odd window/seat belt interactions as you close the doors. I'm not worried about any brake/suspension aspects as they are routine to me but anything else to look out for?

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK getting a bit serious now. We've spent half an hour looking at a CLK nearby. Just a humble (engine size wise) 2008 2.1lit auto in silver with light leather interior but what a lovely car. Very good history and mint inside and out.

Main question... it has (from new as far as I can see) an AMG body kit. The sills have a slight flare at either end, the wheels are different to many we've seen and the front discs are drilled. Does this make it a sport suspension and what else do you get with an AMG kit?

If anyone knows we are going back to drive and maybe buy in about an hour so a quick response much appreciated!

Edit... I see it is called a CDI 220 Sport and it looks just like this one but with a light interior... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708128282368

So what changes are there on the sport model over standard... just suspension? And what do those +/- buttons do that are on the inside of the front seats?

As far as we can tell all the elec bits seems to work OK inc the (to us) odd window/seat belt interactions as you close the doors. I'm not worried about any brake/suspension aspects as they are routine to me but anything else to look out for?
The sport versions as you describe are normally 18 inch wheels , drilled discs , harder suspension .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
+\- buttons are all the seat adjustment buttons ?

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK so no-one tell me any bad things now... we've bought it and it's on the drive! I will report and no doubt ask questions in due course.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
OK so no-one tell me any bad things now... we've bought it and it's on the drive! I will report and no doubt ask questions in due course.

Well done. We've had our C Class for 2 years and love it. I'm sure you will too. Picks please

Top Bottom