Heat affecting locking?

Moodybod

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml320cdi 2008 diesel
2 or 3 weeks ago it took ages to get the car to unlock. Changed keys when I got home, no more problem so forgot all about it. Today, same thing. This time I tried the emergency key which turned easily to no effect. Eventually managed to get in. Also noticed the auto catch on the tailgate failed to operate. Now realise both occasions the car was standing in hot sunshine. Is this a known fault in high temperatures, direct sunlight?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not one I've heard of/experienced on either my 210 or 129, both of which get subjected to direct sunlight and 30 plus degrees fairly regularly.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
If the kind of 'heat' we get in the UK affects car locking/unlocking, then MB has not done their homework.

When you see the type of extreme testing carried out during development, a few weak sunny days shouldn't affect your car.

Guess your fault lies elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
M

Moodybod

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml320cdi 2008 diesel
I had a Land Rover Freelander fon8 years before the ML. If parked with the rear door facing our hottest simmer sun the central locking was triggered, windows dropped an inch and alarm sounded. Both the lock and sensor were replaced but the problem was never cured! As to extensve testing, pretty much all the faults reported on this forum will at some point have passed the test process. I guess much like the old LR I will have to remember to park such that the car gets some shade. Only maybe 6 days a year and obviously not a common problem. Looking at other posts reference locking problems quoting £1k repairs being required I hope it doesn't get worse.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I too would be surprised if it was heat per se.
Sure heat might trigger it.
Took the SL500 that year they had their heatwave in France ( the one where lots of old folks died )
Think it was 40C.
In one long traffic jam, my elbow wandered over the edge of the door. The heat off the tarmac added to by the engine, felt like so,eone put a hot iron on it.

SL behaved impeccably, :) air con blasted ice cold all day long , and the engine stayed at its normal 87-90. German engineering at its finest.

Despite flooring it and stuck in some horrible jams.
That said some looney kept pace with us for 30 miles in a 2CV at 90-95mph.
It was bouncing like a yoyo.
He must have fed it Nitro :)

Decided he was a serious liability ... naff brakes etc. So left him behind. :)

I almost forgot one fat german had an ML AMG, Obsidian Black, and to prove a point he cracked an egg on the bonnet. Seriously it coagulated and turned solid. Then he relaised how the hell was he going to get it off. ;)

Last edited:
OP
M

Moodybod

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml320cdi 2008 diesel
Took the SL500 that year they had their heatwave in France ( the one where lots of old folks died )
Think it was 40C.
In one long traffic jam, my elbow wandered over the edge of the door. The heat off the tarmac added to by the engine, felt like so,eone put a hot iron on it.

SL behaved impeccably, :) air con blasted ice cold all day long , and the engine stayed at its normal 87-90. German engineering at its finest.

I almost forgot one fat german had an ML AMG, Obsidian Black, and to prove a point he cracked an egg on the bonnet. Seriously it coagulated and turned solid. Then he relaised how the hell was he going to get it off

" heat might trigger it" ?
How is that different from being responsible for the fault?
It's been fine the last couple of days using either key.
The emergency mechanical key also functions as it should.
Oh well, a quirk to live with I guess.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Think it was 40C.

I almost forgot one fat german had an ML AMG, Obsidian Black, and to prove a point he cracked an egg on the bonnet. Seriously it coagulated and turned solid. Then he relaised how the hell was he going to get it off. ;)
Slice of bread and butter to make a little egg banjo would have got that baby off in no time

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Slice of bread and butter to make a little egg banjo would have got that baby off in no time

:):)
Yes it looked a right mess.
He was parked near some cafe and did it for a joke.

Having totslly switched off, we were unaware how bad this heat wave / drought was by the second week.
We were staying in a series of Relais And Chateau Hotels. Fab book btw, palace like accomodation for reasonable (but not cheap) VFM prices.
When we returned to the hotel, I asked them if they could get the car washed. Their faces! Er like ... you are lucky we have any water for you to have a shower!!
I noticed all the car washes were shut.
So I don't think he would have had any luck.
Very swish ... brand new ML55 AMG with 2 fried eggs burned into the bonnet for the duration of your hols :):)

Top Bottom