H7 LED advice

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
No its doesn't make it illegal as it doesn't work on light output. The power consumption is still the same. It's just a more efficient bulb.

so the big questions are, if theyre so efficient, why aren't manufacturers fitting them as standard, and why aren't they being used instead of HID systems (and other systems)? or, to flip it over, why aren't ALL bulbs made to the same spec?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
so the big questions are, if theyre so efficient, why aren't manufacturers fitting them as standard, and why aren't they being used instead of HID systems (and other systems)? or, to flip it over, why aren't ALL bulbs made to the same spec?
Cost. High efficiency H* lights are 3-4 times the cost of the standard offering and won't give as many warranty issues through shorter lifetime.
HID gives the most light so are the 'premium option'.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Cost. High efficiency H* lights are 3-4 times the cost of the standard offering and won't give as many warranty issues through shorter lifetime.
HID gives the most light so are the 'premium option'.

And HiD is being phased out in favour of LED now.... ze Chermans have stopped new development of HiD lamps.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Legal bits aside. The OP has the freedom to do as he wishes.
If you want to be able to see go the HID route, if that is what you are after. Nothing more than 5000k as then you start going into the blue.
As for LED kits, that is dangerous. Position of the diode is not where it should be. While bright up close, it tends to drop off very quick to the point where normal H7 bulbs give you further range by 30-40%.
I am talking from experience and before I get crucified, my 212 has xenons as standard.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
And that's the point. Legally he cannot do as he likes.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I am saying legality aside, because legal or not, many have and many more will do it.
If legality was an issue there would be no crime.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am saying legality aside, because legal or not, many have and many more will do it.
If legality was an issue there would be no crime.
Plenty of people use a mobile while driving even though it's illegal. Does the fact many do it make it Ok?
Or how about drink driving?
Or drug driving?
Or any number of other offences that people regularly commit?

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Plenty of people use a mobile while driving even though it's illegal. Does the fact many do it make it Ok?
Or drug driving?

Never said it was ok, but thanks for proving my point.
And that is the fact that even though it is illegal people still do it.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
And if they do so, they must surely accept the risk that they may be subject to prosecution and accept any penalty imposed?

I take vehicle construction and use legislation seriously, it's there for the safety of myself and others. I just wish more people felt the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Or drug driving?

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, it's hard texting on an iPhone while doing 97mph down the inside lane of the M1, especially ripped off my t*ts on crack after three sixpacks of Stella............... ;)

What were we talking about again? :D

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, it's hard texting on an iPhone while doing 97mph down the inside lane of the M1, especially ripped off my t*ts on crack after three sixpacks of Stella............... ;)

Should have gaffer taped ya iphone to the steering wheel then its much easier. You can't then drop it and have to take your eyes off the road.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Should have gaffer taped ya iphone to the steering wheel then its much easier. You can't then drop it and have to take your eyes off the road.

I couldn't do that and read the paper at the same time though!

monkeh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007/8 Chrysler, 300c, OM642 lump
Hi,

Has anyone used the H7 LED bulbs with the built in heat sink and cooling fans? Getting a ML320 (57 plate) on Fri, it has upgraded LED tail lights but standard headlights and was looking to get away from standard halogen lamps.

Yes, Well, I used H10, Look for 'Sunwoif' brand. They're pretty damn good.

monkeh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007/8 Chrysler, 300c, OM642 lump
Firstly it is illegal to fit anything other than the homologated lighting source into an automotive luminaire.

Secondly by fitting "cool brav innit" LED H7 analogues into a reflector luminaire you will kill them off in the shortest possible time purely down to the lamp housing design (the LEDs own heat gets reflected back onto them and kills them via heat death in fairly short order).

Thirdly LED lighting sources in a non collimated lamp do not a good coherent beam pattern make.

Fourtly with the availability of Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited etc at 2300lm and a choice of colour temperatures you don't NEED crappy LED halogen replacements to get the cool brav innit look.

I have used LED on my motorbike headlights for about 6 months, no issues, no glare issues.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have used LED on my motorbike headlights for about 6 months, no issues, no glare issues.

Still illegal, still lower light output than a standard H7 as the LED layout does not match the H7 centroid of light emission.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No glare issues for who? Have you asked those motorists driving towards you?
Irrespective - they are still illegal and no amount of "they work well" or "no glare issues yet" or "I passed my MOT with them" changes that.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I think bulbs fall into the same category as brakes - they should be correct to spec and in full working order. We can buy better quality kit such as Night Breakers and they are not expensive if you shop around and they're legal as well as giving improved white light without dazzling others. But if my bulbs are set up in incorrectly, at the very least I am being inconsiderate to others. - Of course, like most of us, I detest being dazzled and from where I sit (trying not to look) I think the one dazzling me deserves having his licence torn into little pieces!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I think bulbs fall into the same category as brakes - they should be correct to spec and in full working order. We can buy better quality kit such as Night Breakers and they are not expensive if you shop around and they're legal as well as giving improved white light without dazzling others. But if my bulbs are set up in incorrectly, at the very least I am being inconsiderate to others. - Of course, like most of us, I detest being dazzled and from where I sit (trying not to look) I think the one dazzling me deserves having his licence torn into little pieces!

Being dazzled isn't always a result of incorrect or illegal bulbs. Many cars with bright white led daytime running lights dazzle when the idiot behind wheel doesn't turn his/her proper lights on when it's dark.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom