Cyclist v's Pedestrian

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I heartily agree. As the victim seems to have been crossing the road whilst texting, I guess that will be seen as "contributory negligence", which will mitigate whatever sentence this guy receives, and I suppose could absolve him completely?

His complete lack of contrition may act against him though.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Very surprised that this type of thing doesn't happen more frequently with people staring at their phones and not looking where they are going, I await the final sentencing with interest. However I believe that Fixed Wheel Cycles were made illegal in the early 80's ? :(

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
There is a girl at work who will walk everywhere gazing fixedly at her phone and texting. It's astounding. This is a fairly big site, she and I had to go from one end of the building to the other (600m or so) to the same meeting... she was in front of me and for the whole walk- up and down 3 sets of stairs, through 4 security doors with swipe tags and entry codes required- her eyes never left the screen Disconcerting to say the least.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
There is a girl at work who will walk everywhere gazing fixedly at her phone and texting. It's astounding. This is a fairly big site, she and I had to go from one end of the building to the other (600m or so) to the same meeting... she was in front of me and for the whole walk- up and down 3 sets of stairs, through 4 security doors with swipe tags and entry codes required- my eyes never left her rear view Disconcerting to say the least.

FTFY ;);)

Are the texts work related?

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
His complete lack of contrition may act against him though.

That is what I don't like. To read he stood there berating the woman lying with a fatal injury is not nice.

I hope he gets some kind of wake up call when the case is decided. Sure, the victim wasn't paying attention and shares the lions share of blame..........but he was riding an illegal bike, possibly too quickly for the conditions as he has admitted even with a front brake he couldn't have stopped. Well , hypothetically that could have been a child run into the road. Woulld he have stood there blaming the child because he couldn't stop?
Sorry, but I'd like to see the arrogant little tu*d get a massive fine to remind him his actions contributed to the loss of a life.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
That is what I don't like. To read he stood there berating the woman lying with a fatal injury is not nice.

I hope he gets some kind of wake up call when the case is decided. Sure, the victim wasn't paying attention and shares the lions share of blame..........but he was riding an illegal bike, possibly too quickly for the conditions as he has admitted even with a front brake he couldn't have stopped. Well , hypothetically that could have been a child run into the road. Woulld he have stood there blaming the child because he couldn't stop?
Sorry, but I'd like to see the arrogant little tu*d get a massive fine to remind him his actions contributed to the loss of a life.

Though the experts have already said that with a front brake he could have stopped...that will not go well for him.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
The vehicle is irrelevant .. cycle or car ( don't understand the initial comment about it being good to see one being held accountable ) you need to have a legal vehicle ... it wasn't ..just as a car with no MOT is illegal and then if you kill someone it's got to be dangerous driving or something ..whatever the term .. he should expect a jail sentence .. the device is irrelevant here..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The vehicle is irrelevant .. cycle or car ( don't understand the initial comment about it being good to see one being held accountable ) you need to have a legal vehicle ... it wasn't ..just as a car with no MOT is illegal and then if you kill someone it's got to be dangerous driving or something ..whatever the term .. he should expect a jail sentence .. the device is irrelevant here..

So often the sentence is predicated by the outcome rather than the action. In this case the outcome was a fatality.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
don't understand the initial comment about it being good to see one being held accountable
I think the point being that usually as its not powered by an 'engine' cyclists get away with a lot of things that a car driver or even a motorcyclist WOULDNT. like the Mr Bean sketch where Bean is waiting at a red traffic light in his car, a cyclist dismounts, walks the bike around the corner and then rides off. so ok, technically not illegal as the cyclist is then a pedestrian but imagine if we all did as Mr Bean did and got out of the car (became pedestrians) and pushed the car around the corner, through a red light, then got back in and drove off. a cyclist would get away with it, possibly a talking to, the car driver would get a ticket for jumping a red light!

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.

Aside from some poor lass losing her life, and I've no doubt it was unintended so essentially an accident, my grievance is that too many cyclists ignore the highway code and the law and are so often very selfish road users.
There should be more accountability so that our little roads on our little island can be used easier by all.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't doubt some cyclists ignore rules but have seen as many car drivers do the same.. car drivers tend to cause more deaths though... witness the recent death of a cyclist on a straight road in the New Forest last week.. poor bloke didn't stand a chance .. wiped out by a driver , based on the skid, exceeding the speed limit and clearly not paying attention...

My point is the fact he is a cyclist is not really relevant.. the outcome is the same in both cases.. someone died...

I see as many poor drivers as i do cyclists...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Don't doubt some cyclists ignore rules but have seen as many car drivers do the same.. car drivers tend to cause more deaths though... witness the recent death of a cyclist on a straight road in the New Forest last week.. poor bloke didn't stand a chance .. wiped out by a driver , based on the skid, exceeding the speed limit and clearly not paying attention...

My point is the fact he is a cyclist is not really relevant.. the outcome is the same in both cases.. someone died...

I see as many poor drivers as i do cyclists...

Thus, a disproportionate number of cyclists are prats.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep .. still leaves a helluva lot of stupid drivers killing more people...

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
Got to be a prison sentence.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think so..

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
There is a girl at work who will walk everywhere gazing fixedly at her phone and texting. It's astounding. This is a fairly big site, she and I had to go from one end of the building to the other (600m or so) to the same meeting... she was in front of me and for the whole walk- up and down 3 sets of stairs, through 4 security doors with swipe tags and entry codes required- her eyes never left the screen Disconcerting to say the least.
I was at P66 HQ in Houston a few weeks back and one of their safety briefs is specifically on this - they will eject you from the building if you're found doing this!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom