First time MB owner saying hi!

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Hi All,

Just thought I'd get registered and say hi!

Eagerly anticipating delivery of my new (to me) 2012 E250 CDI Sport Estate on Saturday.

After years of BMW ownership, I fancied a change, and here I am!

Cheers,

Nick

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum, and to MB ownership :)

OP
C

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Hi AJD,

Many thanks, and looking forward to the change!

Have a great weekend, and all the best,

Nick

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi cubbyq and welcome to the forum. I changed from BMW seven years ago and have never regretted it.

Hope all goes well tomorrow and let's see some photos once you've got it. :)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hello and welcome, congrats on your purchase!

OP
C

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Thanks guys

10am is collection time tomorrow!

And here's one pic I took after doing the deal:

IMG_5697.JPG

Might have some time next weekend after next to give it a bit of a detail, but first thing tomorrow is pick the in-laws up...ironic after my colleagues spending most of this week telling me I've bought a taxi

Cheers,

Nick

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Just comment, "Well if mine's a taxi, yours must be a minicab" ;)

Very very nice looking car indeed. I love the manliness of the pre facelift 212.

OP
C

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Hah, perfect reply, if not a little more polite than the response they did get!

Thanks, I really like the sharp styling...I'm coming from an E60 and think that's still such a striking design, whereas the F-F10/F11 just a bit too normal.

Cheers,

Nick

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome Nick

Enjoy the car they are screwed together well

If your 250 sport is running staggered alloys make sure none of your friendly tyre emporiums mix them up - easily done

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome buddy , love the colour . I'm a fellow E320cdi round headlight taxi owner :D

OP
C

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Thanks guys, I fell very welcome so far!

And thanks again for the VIN decode, AMGeed!

Cheers,

Nick

OP
C

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Well, it came and it went!

IMG_5725.JPG

Not a great start to be driving home and lose all hydraulics on the brakes...nursed it home and it was dumping all it's brake fluid on the drive from the bottom of the passenger side wing

Can't fault MB service, as it was uplifted and taken back to the dealer within a couple of hours and now waiting for a courtesy car.

Let's hope it's something simple and I get it back ASAP...

Cheers,

Nick

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Shame, car looks sharp too!
Hope this is just a blip in a future of driving pleasure.
Welcome!

OP
C

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Thanks Frosty, and agreed, problems happen, and it's how they're dealt with that matters...

I had about ten calls from the dealer, MB roadside and the recovery company informing of every step, and wanting to know what had gone wrong yesterday afternoon, so can't fault that.

Cheers,

Nick

OP
C

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Morning all,

I collected the car on Tuesday after it having both a leaking brake pipe and the master cylinder replaced, as apparently they couldn't get a good feel out of the brake pedal after replacing the pipe and bleeding the system initially.

As soon as I drove it, it felt much better, but the pedal still has at least two to three inches of travel before anything happens...after that the brakes are progressive and firm...but it feels like I'm getting extremely close, if not to the end of the pedal travel before they really bite.

I was putting this down to getting used to the car, but slept on it and took it for a quick spin yesterday morning, and to me, it definitely doesn't feel right, nor re-assuring should I need to put the anchors on heavily.

Looking more closely at the discs and pads. The front discs are fairly lipped, worn unevenly, really rusty on the outer edges and inner area and the calipers are really rusty. The rear discs aren't lipped, but are rusty, on the outer and inner edges. It's as if it's been sat for months before being sold - there was newish Mondeo up for sale on a private driveway near me that was sat for months and it's discs & calipers disappeared behind the rust over that time!

I'm taking it back tomorrow, and they're going to get a tech to come out for a drive with me, as I also mentioned that it feels really crashy, wallowy and a bit unsettled over uneven & potholed roads, and I'm feeling like I'm constantly correcting the steering (the roads were very good on their test route, so didn't notice this, and it feels fine on the motorway!), but this could be the change from the Beemer, and me being hypersensitive about the car at the moment!

I was out with a colleague yesterday, and he has a close friend with an E, who has also been a BMW owner, and he reckons there's definitely something wrong with mine as his brake pedal has no dead travel and the brakes are wonderfully progressive, even better than his various previous Beemers.

So basically I'm wondering if I have knackered discs & pads, knackered calipers, air still in the system, or a combination.

Apologies for the long post, and I know it should be in a technical section, but I'd started the thread about it already!

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

It's a real shame, as I'm almost at the point of regretting the change, and I don't want to be feeling that way as it's such a cracking looking wagon!

Nick

Last edited:

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Stay with it Nick - there was no perceptible difference in brakes, between the transition on my last cars (a 3 estate to E also). My brakes function directly in relation to the pressure I apply via my foot and with only a little travel, as you would expect.
Check tyre pressures all round, most here opt for a couple of psi below recommended, with no wear issues - uneven or over inflated pressures would be good to exclude early...
It does sound like the cars been stood for some time.
Keep us posted....

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom