When I floor it the car judders

OP
jshodgson

jshodgson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Just taken it to an independent Mercedes garage and they have said it is the rear sensor on the turbo and that they won't change a rear sensor on its own they would always change the whole turbo at £1300 plus VAT. Any views on this?

OP
jshodgson

jshodgson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
The fault codes they got were;
Glow plug cylinder 1 open circuit.
Glow plug cylinder 2 open circuit.
Check component Y77/1 (Boost pressure regulator) positioned signals fault.
And a stored code;
Check component B60 (Exhaust back pressure sensor) control variation- the exhaust back pressure is too high.

Looking at the service history the previous owner had the rear sensor changed 2 years ago after suffering similar symptoms.

The full cost for the turbo and sensors and glow plugs is £1824

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Changing the entire turbo including the sensors may well fix it, but then so would changing the car.

With a potential bill this big, I think you need a second opinion. A more cynical person might think they were screwing you over...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Sounds like you need a second opinion.
There are a number of things to check before resorting to the diagnostic machine and that's where an experienced person wins the day, others might help you with some recommendations.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Sounds very much like mine... backpressure sensor suspected. There has been a rash of them failing recently.

OP
jshodgson

jshodgson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Got a second opinion and they said to try and clean the turbo first as it might be sticking a bit. I looked at some products (one you spray into the air intake and another you spray directly into the turbo and then rinse out). Not sure if it worth a try but for £10-£20 I think I should. The other thing is that I got a quote from a friend that can get me an aftermarket new turbo for £360 so could do that and get someone to fit it. Better than £1800+ I was quoted by the garage.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom