Springs - sand down and paint or replace?

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
So, the springs in question are on the missus Yaris but the question is a general one for any car I guess.

Had an advisory on the mot just gone regarding rust on the rear springs. Having a look it's just surface where the paint has flaked, even the MOT bloke said there was no rush to replace them.

They are easy to remove, is it worth just sanding down and repainting with some Hammerite type stuff?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Depending on price I'd just replace them next year....

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
I have never seen an advisory for this. I'd get some black Hammerite Waxoyl and brush it on having lightly removed loose flakes. Better than paint for this situation. The only proviso is sometimes paint flakes and or rust shows at the point they may break in the future. Particularly if it's in the first turn of the coil from the bottom this is a possibility.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting -it is at the first coil from the bottom where the rust is.

Replacement does make more sense but my inner DIYer wants to sand and paint.

I guess though as either way I'd have to remove them I may as well change.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is not a certainty but breakage in that first coil from the pan it sits in is the most common break position I've seen on the dozens I've replaced. I'd always assumed this is where it gets "work hardened" the most and eventually snaps... perhaps in conjunction with rust pits starting the fracture. I don't think painting will delay this process and on anything other than a show car no need to have them shiny.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Rather than sanding I'd suggest you have them media blasted and the repainted. That way you won't remove metal which could set up some skin stresses down the line.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
TBH a pair of Yaris springs only about £30-£40 so not really worth restoring if you are going to take the trouble of compressing and removing.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers. Reads are easy on the yaris as they are separate to the shocks.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
personally, wait till they NEED to be replaced (ie they break) then replace them. anything else is rather pointless, IMO

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm. I've had a broken front spring rip through a tyre on a dual carriageway so I think I'll change them before that.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
MOT man was of the opinion it will last a year (otherwise it would have been a fail) so change it next summer.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
It is not a certainty but breakage in that first coil from the pan it sits in is the most common break position I've seen on the dozens I've replaced. I'd always assumed this is where it gets "work hardened" the most and eventually snaps... perhaps in conjunction with rust pits starting the fracture. I don't think painting will delay this process and on anything other than a show car no need to have them shiny.

Mums C270 cdi, failed an MOT with only 17,000 miles @ 13 years old.
One of The springs had sheared on the last lower curl where it sits in the rubber bush, the other had a crack starting ... both looked like new until this last bit of the spring and both were very rusty.
Due to the low mileage they even brought them out to show me.

As you can imagine I was thinking .... Oh yeah a mercedes spring broken!! And the other cracked at that milage!!!
They said its quite common as the last bit virtually sits in a cup of water. And the old ones with very low mileage are particularly susectible as the water never gets thrown off by movement.

Problem you have in painting, as I discovered with Hammerite, if the rust is near a wear area hammerite takes at least a month to dry out. So it would wear off exactly where it is needed.

Maybe that POR stuff dries quicker???

Moral of the scenario is give your car some stick :):):)

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Obviously a known problem, my advice is to clean off what rust you can and apply a liberal dose of waxoyl every year

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Whats up with leather gaiters and denso tape ?

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First mention I've heard of Denso tape in decades!

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Good stuff works well.
Ghastly sticky stuff, though I suppose it needs to be.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Just thought I'd add a comment to this.

As an advisory item on a test, my first thought would be that the tester is covering himself on a "just in case" basis.

However, if you're worried about it, and I would be because I'm a nightmare, then get them changed. By the time they're off, stripped and painted, you could have just bought a new pair to put on. My front ones on my baby 190 have a few rusty spots on them, which I'll clean up and paint. The rears have a good few more and will get replaced. Just because.

Around £70 for replacements, I'd want at least that to blast and paint the old ones, with no guarantee that they'll last.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ha ha... one new wrapped roll here from my past life that now pays my pension.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers - I can get decent ones for not too much so next spring I'll just swap them out.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom