W204 C200 CDI Coolant Level Warning

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Hi folks,

Just after some help.

In the last 2-3 months we have twice had a coolant level warning come up on the dash. Upon inspection, there does not appear to be any apparent leak anywhere. The coolant doesn't also go excessively low, maybe a little but nothing that would initially alarm, maybe needing a few drops again.

Any ideas what this could be, or what I should look into? Header tank cover and inside the header tank, it is clean, the dipstick is pure oil so nothing untoward noticeable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Check the fuel filter housing, water pump and EGR bypass valves all common problems with slow leaks from there. Fuel filter housings and water pumps have all been modified.

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Sorry to be thick, but any pointers as to where even those are located? Thanks

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Lift off the engine cover and you will see the fuel filter. The housing it sits in is also a coolant tube for the thermostat feed. Where it meets the cylinder head is where it leaks. You will see a load of dry crusty coolant around the inlet manifold if its leaking. The EGR bypass unit is bolted to the inlet manifold by the vacuum tank. The water pump is at the front of the engine behind the poly v belt cover.

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Thank you, I will have nose under the bonnet area on the weekend. Appreciate your replies. Thanks.

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
My w204 C250 is now on its second fuel filter/'water collector' unit (the first to be replaced i think was another pre-modification unit so failed again)
The water pump is now leaking at 85k, it is original. I am loosing about 1l of coolant a week from here. EGR bypass seems fine... so far!

Both the fuel filter assembly and water pump both began to leak during the hot few days in July/August this year.

FYI the fuel filter assembly was a PITA to replace, the EGR cooler needs to be removed to access (requiring new gasket and it in itself is a pain to remove. I ended up doing the job myself (regrets!) due to local indie's quoting several hours to do job in labour for a £20 part. (Not sure for those in the know how hard this really is but i could not access the EGR cooler bolts on the underside).
In the end i carefully cut a slot in the old unit beside where the fuel filter sits to enable the component to be squeezed past the one fixed metal inlet/outlet pipe on the egr cooler which restricts access. I did the same on the new part to fit - the slot was in the side of the fuel filter cartridge holder and has made little if any difference to the integrity of the fuel filter holder as it still has support from below and the 2 clamps work on the side. The slot is nowhere near the water pipes which form part of the unit.

I've decided to let my indie do the waterpump as access from below is needed and I do not have a lift!

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Lift off the engine cover and you will see the fuel filter. The housing it sits in is also a coolant tube for the thermostat feed. Where it meets the cylinder head is where it leaks. You will see a load of dry crusty coolant around the inlet manifold if its leaking. The EGR bypass unit is bolted to the inlet manifold by the vacuum tank. The water pump is at the front of the engine behind the poly v belt cover.

Hi Steve, apologies for delayed reply, but had a quick look today and where you pinpointed me and this is what I discovered, almost word for word what you said. Is this definitely going to be where im loosing a little coolant every now and then?

So my question is, what needs changing and how serious is this? £££££....??

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

IMG_20171224_144833.jpg IMG_20171224_145251.jpg
IMG_20171224_145306.jpg

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Morning, it would seem everyone is still on Christmas shutdown :)
If someone could help/guide, that would be great.

Thanks.

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Hiya, and Happy New Year to everyone with very best wishes for 2018.

Would anyone be able to kindly help me with this please? I uploaded some images and commentary in post #7.

Many thanks in advance...
:)

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
EGR bypass housing leaking, common problem. Probably replaced 20 or so in the last year. Bit of a job to replace.
Thanks Steve.
Do you think thats definitely the cause of this periodic coolant loss?
What sorts of costs am I looking at to resolve?
Thanks.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
If its leaking coolant, of course! 651's are like the titanic, they leak from the fuel filter housing, thermostat housing, water pumps and the EGR cooler housing. Mainly because everything is made of plastic which has a different expansion rate to aluminium and also it flexes and distorts over time with constant heat cycles.

Thats why the water pumps are modified to aluminium and the fuel filter housings have a different bolting position now.

About £400 from an Indie I would say. Double that at a dealer.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom