What should you expect from a second hand car on main agents pitch ?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Looked at car today on main agents forecourt for youth it required with only cursory inspection;

Requires discs and pads front and rear newish pads polishing rust.
Leaking rack gaiter.
Bottom pulley appears to have water (pump ?) leaking onto it pulley rusted, belt ribs brown.
Broken and loose underbelly cover.
Engine wheezed and blew out smoke and steam from oil filler on removing some to be expected but there seemed to be too much.
The car had apparently been inspected before offering for sale !!!!!

Car Volvo at Ford Main Agents 5 years old £7250.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Beware indeed but that little lot was before it went on a ramp, it appears you get the minimum possible.
The warranty was one of those self defeating everythings wear and tear guv and a low limit if you did get passed the warranty defence team.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
When you buy a second-hand car from a used-car dealership in the UK, you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaced the Sale of Goods Act from 1 October 2015). You should expect the car to:
  • be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
  • meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the ad or in discussions prior to sale)
  • be fit for purpose (in this case, to get you from A to B safely).
If the second-hand car does not meet these requirements, you have the right to claim against the used-car dealer for breach of contract.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Ah yes the good old "inspection"- similar to "Approved Used". One wonders in some cases who exactly "inspected" or "approved" these cars. Sounds like one to walk away from.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Run Forrest RUN.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Buy the cheapest one you can privately that seems to work assuming that you'll have to psend 1,500 fixing things in the first year. I've done that on my 3 W124s, twice I didn't have to fix anything and was 1,500 better off, once had to spend 1,500 fixing many things but better than paying top whack and then having to fix things on top of it/ find out that nothing is covered by the inspection/approved warranty, etc!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
When you buy a second-hand car from a used-car dealership in the UK, you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaced the Sale of Goods Act from 1 October 2015). You should expect the car to:
  • be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
  • meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the ad or in discussions prior to sale)
  • be fit for purpose (in this case, to get you from A to B safely).
If the second-hand car does not meet these requirements, you have the right to claim against the used-car dealer for breach of contract.

The theory sounds good :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Any part payment on a credit card , such as £100 also covers you for the full purchase

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Any part payment on a credit card , such as £100 also covers you for the full purchase
which is fine, assuming you can get a credit card. not everyone can.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The theory sounds good :)

I know the legal route inside out and back to front but would rather avoid it.

I lamely figured buying from a "Main Agent" might get me at least a better start.

Basically I ignored my own advice to others.

The salespersons oft repeated phrase was "roadworthy" as the end stop for doing something.

Discussing that with a fool glazed my eyes in seconds, persistent running to his manager was the final straw.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I lamely figured buying from a "Main Agent" might get me at least a better start.

Nothing lame about that view- at least main agents are a bigger target if things go wrong. Unfortunately it seems that they can no longer be wholly relied on to supply better used cars. If you have got a handle on these things, and it sounds as though you have, you have an advantage over poor joe public choosing a second hand car.
"Caveat Emptor" is gradually being chipped away at and I can imagine it will be done away with eventually - I'm surprised it still applies to house purchases.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Like you, I like to go in with my eyes open. A car with as many faults as that has clearly been off-loaded...and these are what you can see. I wouldn't even trust an MB main dealer to put right faults that I can identify, unless it's something that can be easily checked.

Ernie

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom