Insurance for the elderly

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
With Churchill, have been with them for a few years, but always check if they are competitive. If Churchill insurance quote is with in £15/20 I stay with them. Yes missus on the policy.
I think newer cars are more are more expensive to insure, CLK 280 0-62 is 7.2 secs with 7 speed transmission according to the sales catalog.

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
1.Have you tried L.V. BRIAN ?
2. 5000 miles p.a. seems too low to be running a diesel, me thinks.

Regards
John

Hi John,

Just tried LV, slightly more then double my existing insurer :(

Re the diesel, isn't it the usage rather then the mileage? In all honesty I bought this car without giving the fuel type a thought. Saw the car, did the deal and that was it. I never keep a car more the a couple of years, get bored easily. I really don't need a car, I use public transport for most things, but for sixty years I have owned a two seater convertible and habits die hard.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
postcode, rather than age, can be the big killer for insurance prices.

and yes, useage rather than mileage is the thing for diesels. 5k a year on motorways is better for a diesel than 15k miles a year doing 3 mile trips every couple of hours (or whatever it works out to be, you get my drift, I'm sure)

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
With Churchill, have been with them for a few years, but always check if they are competitive. If Churchill insurance quote is with in £15/20 I stay with them. Yes missus on the policy.
I think newer cars are more are more expensive to insure, CLK 280 0-62 is 7.2 secs with 7 speed transmission according to the sales catalog.

Hi Rifiki (?

Tried Churchill and they are very close to Esure's £621, £641to be exact.

Brian.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K

^^ This is it in a nutshell.
Saga can give a reasonable premium first year , then sting you on renewal if you aren't careful.
My father used to drive a C200K up to having his licence rescinded at 89 yrs old through lousy eyesight.
He was with Rias and paying around £600 with an awful driving record for speeding!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Move to Suffolk, mines only £280.00 and I am only ten years your junior :rolleyes:

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
Move to Suffolk, mines only £280.00 and I am only ten years your junior :rolleyes:

Yes postcode does come into the equation. Mine is LS a Leeds code despite living ten miles from the city centre. In twenty years I have never driven into the wretched place. Post codes amaze me, found out yesterday Eastbourne for instance has a Brighton code.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Yes postcode does come into the equation. Mine is LS a Leeds code despite living ten miles from the city centre. In twenty years I have never driven into the wretched place. Post codes amaze me, found out yesterday Eastbourne for instance has a Brighton code.

I once priced my insurance, EXACTLY the same details, but moving to a village 2 miles from where I am now, taking me from a DL16 to a DL14 postcode area. with NO other changes my insurance would have gone UP by £100 at the time, JUST for moving 2 miles!!

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B

and yes, useage rather than mileage is the thing for diesels. 5k a year on motorways is better for a diesel than 15k miles a year doing 3 mile trips every couple of hours (or whatever it works out to be, you get my drift, I'm sure)

Agree, post code and parking on the street. How much £££ you take on with voluntary excess, I think that is the term amount you pay if you make a claim.

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
All done and dusted, stayed with Esure they turned out to be the cheapest. During the renewal I asked re age, the sales guy said it didn't have a great impact re customers they knew.

So O.K. it's twice the cost of driving the MX4 Mk4 but hell who cares? It's twice the car.:)

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
All done and dusted, stayed with Esure they turned out to be the cheapest. During the renewal I asked re age, the sales guy said it didn't have a great impact re customers they knew.

So O.K. it's twice the cost of driving the MX4 Mk4 but hell who cares? It's twice the car.:)

You can't take with you.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Money in the bank doesn't make you happy its what you spend it on that makes you happy.

Car insurance is a black art......LV wouldn't insure me on my SL500 but they will insure me on my Audi S5, go figure!

A few years ago my son was a named driver on my wifes insurance, he had 2 accidents in quick succession. My wife tried to get insurance with Admiral but they wouldn't quote because of my sons accidents but they did insure my son on his car!

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Try insuring a new young driver for an introduction into the monty python world of insurance.
If you think a small engined car with a low insurance group is the way to go you are missing a trick or two.

My youth can insure a small petrol a 1.6 diesel or a 2.0 litre of the same model for the same money.

Top tip get a saloon not a hatchback ...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You can't take with you.

My father is having pockets sewn into his shroud and is being stuffed with gold so he doesn't leave anything behind.
That is only after his tenacious grip on life is broken.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Money in the bank doesn't make you happy its what you spend it on that makes you happy.

Car insurance is a black art......LV wouldn't insure me on my SL500 but they will insure me on my Audi S5, go figure!

A few years ago my son was a named driver on my wifes insurance, he had 2 accidents in quick succession. My wife tried to get insurance with Admiral but they wouldn't quote because of my sons accidents but they did insure my son on his car!

Money in the bank does make me happy, knowing I have some money to fall back on if something goes wrong. If my car is written off I get another one for cash.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Money in the bank does make me happy, knowing I have some money to fall back on if something goes wrong. If my car is written off I get another one for cash.

Can't argue with that, going cap in hand to a lender never filled me with glee.
The only moderate fly in the ointment is going to said bank and asking for your money in cash it takes an age.
There was a time you could leave with a sack full of your own money in five minutes.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Can't argue with that, going cap in hand to a lender never filled me with glee.
The only moderate fly in the ointment is going to said bank and asking for your money in cash it takes an age.
There was a time you could leave with a sack full of your own money in five minutes.

Quicker than asking for a loan!! and the interest they charge.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Yet bizarrely not only did LV insure our SL500 they also mirrored NCD from another policy for it and its insured in my other halfs name and not mine (when its my policy they mirrored!)

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Insurance decisions/quotes are unfathomable. My 86yr old dad with a health issue he has to disclose has just given up driving but his 2016 insurance cost £350 on a Focus 1.6 which is about double what I'd expect to pay but not unaffordable. He received 3 or 4 quotes around that figure but some refused point blank to quote.

A few months ago we put my 86yr old mum on our insurance as named driver and this was 25% of the cost of adding our 20yr old daughter who won't be put on until the costs reduce a fair bit.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom