Car won't start after Crankshaft Position Sensor Replaced

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Avantgarde 2000
My W210 was has having intermittent issues of cranking but not starting. Thought it must be the CPS which was the issue with my previous W210 ( but only when hot).

Replaced it but the cranking is now weaker and still no start. Put the old one back in still the same. Without a CPS the same.

The battery is 9 months old.

Need to arrange it to be collected for Wayne Gates to have a look.

Anything I can do to get it to start so that I can drive it to the garage and save the collection charge?Have I missed a step?

Thanks.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
sure battery good sometimes low turn over speed is not recognised by cps,ecm as start attempt..

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
It could be a fuel delivery problem and you are chasing shadows replacing the CPS before diagnosis.
Don't bother trying to start it without a CPS, it will never fire. I'd ensure the battery is fully charged and wait for the flatbed I'm afraid.
At least you know its going to a reputable indy

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Replaced it but the cranking is now weaker and still no start. .

is it a tractor?
glow plugs ... and as its not starting the battery is getting less and less go

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did the fuse checks. They were OK.
The engine is a V6 3.2 petrol.
The problem was a wiring connection issue to the relay powering the fuel pump.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Don't rule out a dodgy sensor or bad electrical plug connection.

Euro car parts electrical sensors can be hit or miss (especially with crank/cam sensors)

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
ECP are off my suppliers list at the moment,
we have had too many comebacks with all most all types of vehicle sensors EGR valves and water pumps going faulty.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
ECP are off my suppliers list at the moment,
we have had too many comebacks with all most all types of vehicle sensors EGR valves and water pumps going faulty.
Likewise, I wont buy anything electrical from them, in many cases they are more expensive than mb (crank sensor for example!)

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Picked up the car on Monday. It drove beautifully, much better then it has ever done since I've owned it (4 years).

The fault was a wiring issue from the ECU to the fuel pump relay. He also replaced 2 Breather pipes and a Valve cover.

Drove it to different place with 3 stops and starts without a problem. Then this morning it wouldn't start after a 5 minute drive. Nice strong cranking but no start. After an hour it started and I took it back to the garage. Sods law it started every time he tried it. No fault codes on STAR.
The next step is to disconnect the MAF if it doesn't start and see if that is the culprit.

In total with recovery cost and the CPS sensor it came to almost £400. Tried to return the CPS but no luck. I was in a hurry to fix the car as people depend on me. That's why the visit to ECP.

Fingers crossed.

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Problem is back. Good cranking but no start. Disconnected the MAF but it didn't make a difference.
The indie doesn't want to know.

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Took it back to my regular indie last week. The problem was the relay.
So far no more problems.
Should have gone to him in the beginning and saved myself a lot of time and money.

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately the problem is back exactly as before.
Strong cranking but no ignition. A few minutes later fires up. Attempt to re start after a 10 minute drive no cranking at all or car attempting to start with rev counter going up & down but cutting out eventually.

Both indies couldn't fix it. Last step is to visit an old mechanic I used before for his opinion. Not worth continuing to throw money at it.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
If revcounter is moving then cps must be ok .But it must be spining over for revcounter to show .
If its not cranking like you say then i would say more like sam unit .

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If revcounter is moving then cps must be ok .But it must be spining over for revcounter to show .
If its not cranking like you say then i would say more like sam unit .
Thanks for the info. Just searched for it online and another member had the exact issue a few years ago. Will look into it tomorrow.
Could be mistaken but did smell something burning before the problem originally started and again a couple of days ago (Living in the NW area of London burning & strange smells a regular occurrence).

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
This is the K40 you will see it with fuses on the top . Check it out it might just be a bad fuse .All those little plugs will pull up and out to remove the K40 from the car to take a better inspection, also a vidio on youtube how to repair them .

Attachments

• Horn_fuse.jpg
    Horn_fuse.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 14

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
The K40 sits in to a multi pin socket .The pins may be dirty and corroded and with out weather anything can go wrong with water ingress. Take a picture before you remove the plugs so you know their locations .

OP
Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
d
The K40 sits in to a multi pin socket .The pins may be dirty and corroded and with out weather anything can go wrong with water ingress. Take a picture before you remove the plugs so you know their locations .
My regular Indi replaced this in December and no issues till now. It's the exact same problem in every way except this time it cut out a couple of times. Once whilst at a stop and then again when manoeuvring to park.
Went to see him today and he's at a loss as well. He suggested I replace the CPS or leave the car with him for a few days.

I can look into your suggestion. Where is this unit located?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom