Best brand of disc pads for a B-220 (W246?)

big_bill3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W246 2014 B220 diesel
My pads will need replacing soon. What is a good brand and is it a task I can do myself. TIA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Go for MB oem I’d say. Contact MB Grangemouth who are forum sponsors and give good discounts
Easy enough to fit if you’ve the inclination

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I would contact either MB- Grangemouth or MB Newcastle and get OEM pads at a reduced price. Don't forget a new wear sensor as well.
It's an easy enough DIY, especially if you have worked on replacing pads in the past.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-and-Smart-Newcastle/contact-us

Edit.....that will teach me not to go and make a coffee before sending. Beaten to it.

OP
B

big_bill3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W246 2014 B220 diesel
My motor is the 169 horse diesel. Are the AMG discs and pads ok for my model?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My motor is the 169 horse diesel. Are the AMG discs and pads ok for my model?

Just have your VIN ready when you ring them up that’s all they need to supply you with the correct parts. Oh and yes fit genuine parts as already suggested

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There are many brands available its probably down to budget and preferences MB pads will be sufficient for most purposes but you can get better and most certainly worst, some are dreadful.
Comparable quality for less money is certainly available but you need to do your own research and buying MB will be easier.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Just have your VIN ready when you ring them up that’s all they need to supply you with the correct parts. Oh and yes fit genuine parts as already suggested

+1 with having the Vin# at hand so the correct parts are supplied.
Technically, the B class don't have any model in the AMG range to my knowledge so AMG discs and pads won't be supplied.

OP
B

big_bill3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W246 2014 B220 diesel

SRE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005
I think you will find that the AMG Line is just cosmetic details and no mechanical improvements.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
AMG Line does tend to indicate the use of slightly larger discs and pads so always worth checking. My E350cdi Sport uses 340mm discs on the front and the equivalent model in Avantgarde spec uses 320mm

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I favour EBC Redstuff, it's a shame I can't get them for the Viano so 2nd choice is EBC Greenstuff.
Both are better braking than oem and reduced brake dust, red being the better of the two.

I recently fitted EBC Ultimax2 and will be replacing them with Greenstuff next year. I'm not impressed with either their braking character or the dust level.

If your brake pad wear warning isn't illuminated yet the wear sensor will be good for reuse if your careful removing it. I watch for wear and remove it before it gets worn anyway and then programme the pad change for a couple of thousand miles ahead.

If the fluid levels have been topped up during this pads lifetime monitor for the fluid over flowing as you push the pads back into the calipers.

Pump the pedal hard again before the road test.

OP
B

big_bill3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W246 2014 B220 diesel
I think you will find that the AMG Line is just cosmetic details and no mechanical improvements.

Agreed, so the discs and pads should be the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

big_bill3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W246 2014 B220 diesel
I favour EBC Redstuff, it's a shame I can't get them for the Viano so 2nd choice is EBC Greenstuff.
Both are better braking than oem and reduced brake dust, red being the better of the two.

I recently fitted EBC Ultimax2 and will be replacing them with Greenstuff next year. I'm not impressed with either their braking character or the dust level.

If your brake pad wear warning isn't illuminated yet the wear sensor will be good for reuse if your careful removing it. I watch for wear and remove it before it gets worn anyway and then programme the pad change for a couple of thousand miles ahead.

If the fluid levels have been topped up during this pads lifetime monitor for the fluid over flowing as you push the pads back into the calipers.

Pump the pedal hard again before the road test.

Thanks. How do you programme the pad change?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Thanks. How do you programme the pad change?

I keep an eye on pad wear. It isn't difficult to measure the remaining friction material, uneven wear can even be a warning of sticky pads / sliders.
Knowing mileage covered and remaining friction material I just calculate the expected mileage left on the pads and change before the lowest pad will be gone, if I haven't swapped them around to balance the wear as you might with tyres.

When the wear sensor flags up there is usually a couple of thousand miles left on the pads, depending on drive style of course. Being tight I will save a few quids by pulling it from the pad as pad wear gets toward wearing that.

The one to watch for is that low pads can crumble and disintegrate, but inspection would show that.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As pervious, for an AMG line B Class I’d still just stick with MB, you can’t go far wrong- as mentioned if you telephone MB Grangemouth (Or Newcastle) with your VIN number ti hand you’re guaranteed the right ones (and as AM Geed don’t forget the wear sensors- MB will probably remind you anyway)- I can recommend Steven at Grangemouth, very helpful chap on 01324 686002 or email Steven.kilgannon@arnoldclark.com
Red stuff are fantastic pads mind for the reasons mentioned above, but unless you want ceramic and high performance maybe overkill. They do give off almost no dust though which is a plus

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I have Pagid front disks and pads and Brembo rear pads, no issues at all

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom