E350 CDI coupe wind noise

quinnj3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport Coupe Auto 227bhp
Hi all,

I have an annoying issue occasionally from my 2010 E class coupe. My windows, especially the drivers side, seem to not fully seal. Some days it’s worse than others but the whistling wind noise can get quite loud and irritating.

I’ve noticed when locking the car that the window seems to stop level with the window trim slot or just fractionally below which would mean the window is being effectively sucked out at speed increasing the wind noise. When closing should the window continue right into the door seal? It is almost as though the door has dropped in my car!

Another thing I failed to notice before I purchased was the full length vertical scratches in both the drivers and passenger side windows as though grit has got stuck in the window trims. I’ve never had this in any other car and I’m just wondering if this is a common problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
You need to reset the windows, it’s an easy fix (if I’m correct), press an hold the window switch and hold down for a further 5 seconds or so after the window has fully opened then do the same but raising the window...
It’s some time since I had to do mine but, the process is in the manual, in case I’ve missed something.
Not heard of the scratches being common to the car before, there are treatments, with some success, depends on how deep?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Scratches come about due to grit being trapped below the level of the weather seal. Are you sure it's scratched and not a thin streak of grease (caused by grease leaking from the regulator inside the door)? Run a fingernail over it to check.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
I had 2 noticeable scratches on my passenger door glass ( same car and year)
I had the window replaced by Autoglass, had a few issues with it, so they ordered me a Mercedes glass and all is well.
Technician said he found some sand that had become trapped in the window rubbers, so every time you put the window up and down it would scratch.
As far as wind noise is concerned, as others have said try the resetting process, there is some videos on you tube on what to do.

OP
Q

quinnj3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I definitely have scratched glass that is probably unrepairable. Also I have tried the window resetting routine but no improvement.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would suggest you clean the window seal rubbers and the guide grooves (cloth wrapped over a filler blade or similar) as a 1st action, check for obstruction?
Then do the reset thing, it sounds like it hasn’t happened so far. For my 2013 Coupe:
Inside the car doors closed, from the drivers master switch (repeat for each and every window):
  1. Key to position 2 dash lights on but engine off.
  2. Press and continuously hold down the window down switch for about 10 secs after the window has retracted into the door.
  3. Let go, pause for a couple of seconds, now, continuously hold the button to lift the window into the closed position and hold for a further 10 secs or so... let go.
  4. Switch off keys
  5. On future use windows should now open enough to break the ‘seal’ when the door is opened and automatically ‘reseal’ (close up), when the door is shut on both doors.
If the above procedures don’t work then I’m flummoxed :confused::D

OP
Q

quinnj3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I tried that routine but it didn’t work. I’ll try cleaning the seals and rubbers to see if that helps.

Is it possible the door could have dropped? It’s not rubbing on anything when closing and panel gaps are perfect.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Sounds like the auto-drop function is u/s.

You're correct, upon opening the door (well, first pull of the handle), the glass should drop 10mm or so; similarly, once you've closed the door, the glass should rise the same 10mm back up into the channel and seal properly.

Have you got access to STAR, or a local Indie who has?

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
^^ as Roterhead.
Maybe a look over the main switch and connections?
Dunno where or what controls this function tbh and auto electrickery, of this sort, baffles and frustrates me!!
Hopefully a member with more knowledge will roll up....

OP
Q

quinnj3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, the auto drop function is working fine. When I say a gap it is just a mm or so at the top of the window trailing edge. It is enough that it sometimes seals and sometimes it doesn’t.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
In that case, sounds like the window carrier is either not aligned correctly, or has some play in it.

Door card off, or a quick visit to Indie!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Thanks, the auto drop function is working fine. When I say a gap it is just a mm or so at the top of the window trailing edge. It is enough that it sometimes seals and sometimes it doesn’t.

By this do you mean that the rearward vertical edge is a mm or two away from the rear window? In which case, it may be your rear window is not closing properly. As you open the door, not only does the front window drop slightly but the rear window pulls back very slightly.

It might be worth doing the reset procedure (same as above) for both the rear windows as well.

If I’ve misunderstood the problem, then please ignore me ;)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Good point.. forgot the quarter windows in the coupé.

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Get a microfibre cloth with soap and water on it and force a corner of it into the rubber channels , then drag the cloth along to clean it , also when the glass is dropped force a bit of the cloth between the glass and the rubber door seal and drag that along to clean it as well .

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’m sure I said;
“each and every window “
:p
Hope that’s all it is...

OP
Q

quinnj3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve tried all the tips above, it’s actually an alignment issue and is very slowly getting worse. I’ve found a video on YouTube on how to realign the windows to factory spec. It is quite involved and requires taking off the door card to access some of the alignment screws. Hopefully adjusting this will help, I just need to find the time now to do it.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom