This is happening next week before bird sh1t season begins!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
This post should be cross-referenced to the one about guns/shooting... then maybe getting rid of the birds it would turn into a sport. :D

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm still waiting buddy , my arms are now hurting from holding the iPad since last Friday :(
Dropped it off today bud, collect tomorrow evening :)

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Gyeon is really good stuff and I would probably use it over GTechniq (although EXOv2 is a marvel on it's own). I use their Fabricoat on some of my work stuff to repel water. The locals over here think it's white man's magic when they see it perform! :D

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I had been using Gyeon view on the windows for the last 2 cars which is spooky stuff.
Above 30 the water just runs back over the roof with no wipers in at all. If the ceramic is anything like that I will be way happy!

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
I had been using Gyeon view on the windows for the last 2 cars which is spooky stuff.
Above 30 the water just runs back over the roof with no wipers in at all. If the ceramic is anything like that I will be way happy!

What is spooky, John, is that i've 'installed' Angel Wax H2Go on both the CLK & Mk4 Golf, for the first time, this last weekend. Having said that, its not really rained here yet... :):(

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
646E6812-BA4F-4CDF-9DE4-036C233B1620.jpeg E4B363DE-FE64-49F6-BFE6-BF81E3B39639.jpeg 60D53232-3A67-4674-8662-A654AF74DD87.jpeg 008B397D-890F-47E0-9FC4-F729AA24E3F4.jpeg A few chosen pics

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Looks great John,

You just need to get it wet sanded now to sort out that orange peel. :p

Then sell it to me when i get back......... :geek:

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
That looks awesome John, in fact only take it out in good weather and keep it garaged in between.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
That's what I'm talking about buddy . Great shots . My next car should be black :D .

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Jo
I
In my case I’m getting a heavily discounted package as the stuff he used last year (Kamikaze) didn’t work really - I’m paying £200 which is not much above material cost only.

John hopefully some constructive comments from me.....

If the Kamikaze (which, from all the hype I read, was supposed to be the dog's) didn't work why would this stuff be any better (formulation / technology must be similar)?

My understanding is that after getting these coatings you have to stick to their maintenance schedule to keep the warranty valid. A bit like servicing your car ......:(

Also, I saw a video (IIRC by the manufacturer or an approved installer ) where they have had to use sandpaper to remove a badly applied (well know) ceramic.....just wondering how the Kamikaze is going to come off

......If you have a bumper bashing and need a paint job, ceramic causes issues.......

Please keep us posted on how you go!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Jo

John hopefully some constructive comments from me.....

If the Kamikaze (which, from all the hype I read, was supposed to be the dog's) didn't work why would this stuff be any better (formulation / technology must be similar)?

My understanding is that after getting these coatings you have to stick to their maintenance schedule to keep the warranty valid. A bit like servicing your car ......:(

Also, I saw a video (IIRC by the manufacturer or an approved installer ) where they have had to use sandpaper to remove a badly applied (well know) ceramic.....just wondering how the Kamikaze is going to come off

......If you have a bumper bashing and need a paint job, ceramic causes issues.......

Please keep us posted on how you go!

The whole point of ceramic coatings is to enable you to use a less fussy maintenance regime and still keep the car looking good.

Kamikaze the dogs danglies?? Like you from everything I’ve seen and read it’s overhyped, far too fussy to apply and doesn’t have anywhere near the longevity claimed (Sorry John I know you had it and this is purely my opinion based on what I’ve seen and read)

The best ceramic coatings out there are (not in any particular order)

Gyeon Q2
GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra
Carpro C-Quartz
Nanolex

Nanolex and C-Quartz have around 2yrs longevity (Kamikaze claims 18-24mths I think but in reality people are seeing no more than 10 and circa 6-8)

Gyeon Q2 is a proper MOHs 9H with a 5yr guarantee for professional application. It can only be purchased by a approved Gyeon detailer who is licensed to apply it.

GTechniq is the only MOHs 10H with a 9yr guarantee. It also can only be bought by a GTechniq approved detailer that have been licensed to use it. I suspect that’s the video you have seen requiring wet sanding (although it will probably have been its predecessor Crystal Serum+). I’ve seen it before and I’ll try and dig it out.

Edit - here you go. There is another one I’ve seen as well but can’t seem to find that. It was on the boot of a black car.

Now no-one has had CSU applied for 9yrs as it’s only been out about 18mths.

However that and Gyeon are a league ahead of the other competition.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic John.

Last edited:

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Looks fantastic John. Will be very interested with the longevity.

Jo

Not necessary. If you need a bumper etc repainting, it would probably need sanding back anyway, which would remove the 1 micron of coating. Would just need re-application one the new paint has cured. Only a issue of any repair needs blowing into another panel and the bodyshop are not aware its coated.....

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The whole point of ceramic coatings is to enable you to use a less fussy maintenance regime and still keep the car looking good.

Kamikaze the dogs danglies?? Like you from everything I’ve seen and read it’s overhyped, far too fussy to apply and doesn’t have anywhere near the longevity claimed (Sorry John I know you had it and this is purely my opinion based on what I’ve seen and read)

The best ceramic coatings out there are (not in any particular order)

Gyeon Q2
GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra
Carpro C-Quartz
Nanolex

Nanolex and C-Quartz have around 2yrs longevity (Kamikaze claims 18-24mths I think but in reality people are seeing no more than 10 and circa 6-8)

Gyeon Q2 is a proper MOHs 9H with a 5yr guarantee for professional application. It can only be purchased by a approved Gyeon detailer who is licensed to apply it.

GTechniq is the only MOHs 10H with a 9yr guarantee. It also can only be bought by a GTechniq approved detailer that have been licensed to use it. I suspect that’s the video you have seen requiring wet sanding (although it will probably have been its predecessor Crystal Serum+). I’ve seen it before and I’ll try and dig it out.

Edit - here you go. There is another one I’ve seen as well but can’t seem to find that. It was on the boot of a black car.

Now no-one has had CSU applied for 9yrs as it’s only been out about 18mths.

However that and Gyeon are a league ahead of the other competition.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic John.
Not off topic at all Carl!
You’ve answered Rory’s constructive criticism (which I take in a good way), far more eloquently and knowledgeably than I could have done!
OK on the Kamikaze, yip overhyped rubbish on the 63- lasted barely 4 months before it was showing signs of ‘letting go’ , despite great care it was beginning to swirl, really disappointing to put it mildly.
What made it worse was that it did actually work quite well on the SL- the coat was as good on it after a year as the day it was done.
It was supposed to be 18-24 months as you rightly say.
So, for Rory’s information (and Carl chip in of course!), my advice is to use Gyeon Q2M bathe plus as a wash (weekly in the summer I’m hoping) and Gyeon wet coat spray sealant to add to the ceramic sealant.
If I want to use an additional detailer then Gyeon Q2M cure will do that for me.
This regime should at least keep the ceramic’s longevity and may even extend it.
All theoretical given the children’s pull on my time, but worst case scenario is that my detailer does a monthly on my cars so should be good I hope.

lasa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class estate E212/ 2012/E220
JL,

Stunningly beautiful finish, the reflection images from the bodywork are.................. (I'm lost for words).

Just lovely, me want.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom