XTRONS Head Units - Dashboard

Rhys07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 W219
I'm looking to buy an Xtrons head unit for my CLS, but I'm trying to find out, when using the sat nav, does it still display your next move on the dashboard? I know with the dual canbus you have use of steering wheel controls, and the audio track is displayed on the dash, but what about the sat nav? Thanks and apologies if this has been asked before. I've tried looking through threads but haven't found anything.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had an Xtrons unit in my previous car (2011-2015) and they had a reasonably active forum, with own tech support participating ... no idea if this is still the case though.

FWIW, the unit (double-DIN with no satnav (by choice) worked flawlessly*, and as far as I know, still does (last time I chat with a gentleman, who bought my old car was last last Autumn).

* Within the limitation of its primitive operating system - Windows CE - the inability to display long file names was irritating - and the reason I went to their forum, back in 2011, to enquire. It was answered promptly, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I ended up renaming all the tracks on the USB drive to 8.3 convention, as I couldn't stand truncated filenames (like MOZA~123.MP3) ha ha

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like it's a ghost ... The interface was different, although that could've changed.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Xtrons, Erisin or who ever are pretty much using the same units to my mind.
Mine is Erisin and only shows Navigation on the dash and for some reason allows my up down buttons to change station or track depending.

With a 9" display I can see well enough what the directions are anyway so I don't feel any disadvantage.
I still haven't found a way to see the screen when sun light reflections prevent me though, tried a screen anti dazzle protector and it didn't work for me.

OP
Rhys07

Rhys07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 W219
Xtrons, Erisin or who ever are pretty much using the same units to my mind.
Mine is Erisin and only shows Navigation on the dash and for some reason allows my up down buttons to change station or track depending.

With a 9" display I can see well enough what the directions are anyway so I don't feel any disadvantage.
I still haven't found a way to see the screen when sun light reflections prevent me though, tried a screen anti dazzle protector and it didn't work for me.
Yeah they just got back to me, unfortunately doesn't display the sat nav on the dash, only on the main screen itself . What is your Erisin like? I'm guessing it's hard to see the screen when the sun is reflecting light on it?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Yeah they just got back to me, unfortunately doesn't display the sat nav on the dash, only on the main screen itself . What is your Erisin like? I'm guessing it's hard to see the screen when the sun is reflecting light on it?
I have one too...and it's hard to see in bright light. But being in the same place as the original...no worse than the OEM.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I did wonder if MB have a better screen for overcoming, or at least reducing, reflected glare.
That being the case then a screen protector of quality, as suggested by Naraic, should do the same. It didn't, all it did was reduce the already limited brightness of the screen so it was less visible other times.

Mine can be annoying as at many angles the screen becomes unreadable.
In Larisa's Jeep I've fitted a 10.1" (removable screen for what ever use that might be) swivel screen model. These vehicle specific so there would feasibly be canbus issues if it's without the MB canbus decoder. Anyway 'in theory' when the screen has reflection issues swivelling to a better angle should be the answer. I haven't driven it any distance to test it out though.
Also it only has an acceptable appearance as the large screen disguises the gaps and HU black box behind the screen.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The Brotect screen protectors seem to work well for reducing glare and fit easily without bubbling- cheap enough on Amazon etc

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
my brother raved about these aftermarket units both his died inside 6 months, he doesn't talk about them anymore... until a DAB chip is built in and its running Oreo, frankly I wouldn't try to see how long it takes for them to die... Divan units on a 3 series look factory fit, but 5 years waiting on firmware bugs to iron out the basics makes it look like OEM guys do a good job (which they don't...)

Top Bottom