Service plan problem

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
I've had my E500 for 6 1/2 years now and the second three year service plan has ended.
When I booked it in with Wayne Gates for it's next one he wanted to know what else needed doing so I checked my invoices.
They changed the plugs & air filters in 2013,this was on mileage(it's 46500 or 4 years,whichever is earlier).
But they didn't do them in 2017.
When I queried Hughes of Beaconsfield about it they said they were not due until Dec 2018 when the car is 8 years old.
Surely the due date is 4 years from the last change?

Before anyone says it's a bit late to be finding it now,I know!

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
I would agree! Service life of the plugs is 4 years by definition of the manufacturer's service interval and they should have been changed then. Similarly, if a service is due at 12 months or 17k miles and the car is serviced at 15 months and 25k miles, the warranty (if applicable) could be invalidated. They can't have it both ways!

I had that problem with mine; it was A serviced by MB at 9 months and 2500 miles at the end of the lease and consequently 12 months later a B service covered little more than an oil and filter change. MB Grangemouth said I could have re-submitted the car to get the remaining 2-year service items attended to.

Ernie

OP
C

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
I think I will have a trip to Beaconsfield tomorrow for a chat.

norwoodboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2010
Just had a B5 service carried out on service plan although they put it down as an A service! that was changed but there is no explanation of what is done on these services apart from oil/filter changes.
I am not carrying on with MB service plan as i am far from convinced that they change out all that is required, their bill even though it is already paid for should be the same as every other garage i have dealt with in that it state all the sundries use ie Brake or clutch fluid etc demonstrating what has actually been done, in short a rip off which i will not continue with , off to an Indy for me.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Just had a B5 service carried out on service plan although they put it down as an A service! that was changed but there is no explanation of what is done on these services apart from oil/filter changes.
I am not carrying on with MB service plan as i am far from convinced that they change out all that is required, their bill even though it is already paid for should be the same as every other garage i have dealt with in that it state all the sundries use ie Brake or clutch fluid etc demonstrating what has actually been done, in short a rip off which i will not continue with , off to an Indy for me.
You're right of course, but it's such a shame - they have a good product with good market share and all the usual arguments about franchised servicing (properly trained service staff, latest info to hand, genuine parts etc) should make it dead easy to sell their services - and at the rates they charge it's a highly profitable business but then greed takes over coupled with a laziness element (i.e.: it's the Service Manager's job to ensure that all jobs are done - and done correctly).

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Did you not get a print-out of what was done, eg. apart from oil and filter, things like cabin filter and brake fluid change? If I remember rightly, my p.o. also confirmed that what was done conformed to MB Specs for the service carried out. If you didn't get one, ask for it! In any case, I think you should be able to access the detail from MB's website.

Ernie

OP
C

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
My issue was sorted today.
BTW all extra work,like ATF,brake fluid,plugs etc is all detailed on the invoices I have.

Last edited:
OP
C

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
Had my plugs & air filter changed by Hughes foc yesterday,goy an E220d as courtesy car.
They also gave the car a good clean inside & out.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Had my plugs & air filter changed by Hughes foc yesterday,goy an E220d as courtesy car.
They also gave the car a good clean inside & out.

If you’re one for caring about the paintwork on your car, never let a main dealer, or anyone for that matter clean it for you.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom