Autobox software tweak (not merc)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Reading a BMW forum came across a great app for BMW Auto boxes.

I thought the idea might encourage others to think about / find similar stuff for Mercedes. Which might help the issues with Alexander and hoopo's AMG trans. Reading the post where I found the xph tool, made me think about my old 335d.

That car's auto was a bag of nails till I got a car software update, after which it was transformed. Trouble was the update had amongst the improvements (making it all work properly), a torque limiting feature (I guess designed to reduce stress on the rest of the drive train). Which is all rather odd as its well know they can take 720nm without issue. It was rare you found it but under first gear abuse off the line on occasions it would slip inside the box (as intended) after the update.

Anyway the post where i found out about the app referred to which is best an "Alpina gearbox flash" or the "XPH", I knew ages ago you could write Alpina's software to your own box to give far better change points.... Now it seems there's an app to play yourself at home !!!

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/en/ (below is specific options to play on the 335d gearbox)

Stage 1
The Stage 1 Setups are made for the sporty, yet economy aware driver. With our revised Torque Converter Clutch setup, in combination with the adapted Shift Points, you will experience the power of your engine in a completely new way. Additionally, the maps yield an approximate mileage-gain of 5% on city driving. Shift points are lowered, to facilitate using the fantastic low-end torque of the 3-Litre Diesel engine. ""Power cruising"" may be the best phrase to describe the feeling you get, when flashing this map. Last but not least, if it still happens that you want to go fast, we have deleted the Kickdown function in manual mode, to put you in total control of your vehicle.

Current Version: V2.1
Version: V1.0
- Optimized D Shiftpoints to facilitate sporty yet economy style driving
- Optimized Shift Strategy for up/downhill driving
- Optimized Warmup Behaviour
- Optimized Torque Converter Lockup in 1st/2nd/3rd gear
- Lowered minimum RPM limit manual mode (5/6th gear)
- Adapted Torque Limits for Tuned engines
- Kickdown delete in Manual Mode
- Start in 1st Gear in Manual Mode
- Gear Display in Dash in D/S/M Modes
Version: V1.1
- Shortened Warmup period
Version: V2.0
- Major overhaul in many aspects, to make the tune even more comfy in D, while adding some sportiness in M.
- S mode now engages 6th gear on highway speeds
- Stage 1 is suiteable for all engine tunes.
Version: V2.1
- Updated Version, that enables to use the newly released Customization Module (from xHP V1.3.2 and up)

Stage 2
The Stage 2 Setup is made for people wanting the most from their transmission on street use. The revised Torque Converter setup provides snap-on take-off feeling at every junction, the cut-shift times in D/S/M modes wash away the sluggish shift feeling, BMW has implemented in these transmissions. The Sport Setup is also the Map of choice for people with tuned engines. The raised TQ Limiters allow up to 900 Nm of Torque.

- Optimized D & S Shiftpoints for better acceleration in part and full throttle situations
- Firmer, sportier upshifts in D/S/M mode
- Faster paddle response time
- Kickdown delete in D & Manual Mode
- Shortened warmup period
- Major overhaul, due to customer feedback over the last months.
- Revised Torque Converter operation
- Altered shiftpoints in D and S

Let us know, how you like it!
- Updated Version, that enables to use the newly released Customization Module (from xHP V1.3.2 and up)

Stage 3
The Stage 3 cal raises the bar in every aspect. In D mode only slightly firmer to the Stage 2 Cal, a switch to S or M mode transforms your transmission. Shift times are cut to a minimum and sacrifice shift comfort in favor of pure speed. On downshifts you will experience rev-matching for the first time in Diesel BMWs. Rev-Limiters are removed in every gear, to put the driver in total control. The Race cal offers a true Manual mode for the first time in non BMW - M vehicles. Torque Limiters are upped to 1000 Nm, to leave room for advanced engine tuning. If you drift your vehicle, visit race tracks, or just love being in control, this is the map of choice.

- Optimized D & S Shiftpoints for better acceleration in part and full throttle situations
- 25% faster shifts in D mode
- Firm, hard upshifts with shift times cut by 50% in S/M Mode
- Instant paddle response time
- Removed Rev - Limiters in M (True Manual Mode)
- Race-like rev-match Downshifts (Throttle Blip) first time ever on Diesel BMWs
- Kickdown delete in D & Manual Mode
- Shortened warmup period
- Major overhaul, including the most common customer wishes of the last months.
- Lowered minimum upshift RPM on low loads
- Reworked shifts in S and M mode
- Re-Introduced Kickdown in D mode
- S-Mode now engages 6th gear at Highway speeds on low loads
- Adapted cornering shift strategy. Trans will now upshift earlier after corners. (some described it as "hanging on to gears")
- and much more....

Last edited:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Wow! I'm going to try that app on my Wartburg. That'll surprise a few boy racers!

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Very interesting stuff there Botus, auto transmission management seems to becoming ever more sophisticated ??

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Amazing stuff. Im sure both our issues are worn boxes. I feel that damaged clutches or worn beyond tolerance clutches just drop into netural on these torquey engines before adaption limits indicate a big fault. Lots of anecdotal evidence the V12s wear their boxes.

Mine only does it if I lift off the throttle very sharply milliseconds after the full throttle change.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Amazing stuff. Im sure both our issues are worn boxes. I feel that damaged clutches or worn beyond tolerance clutches just drop into netural on these torquey engines before adaption limits indicate a big fault. Lots of anecdotal evidence the V12s wear their boxes.

Mine only does it if I lift off the throttle very sharply milliseconds after the full throttle change.

are you both on the latest version of gearbox software?

seems rather interesting BM turned there's down to allow slip around 500nm, yet stage 2 winds is up past the old std BM tolerance of 720nm and allows up to 900nm and stage 3 1000nm... so I'm wondering is yours wear or software?

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
are you both on the latest version of gearbox software?

seems rather interesting BM turned there's down to allow slip around 500nm, yet stage 2 winds is up past the old std BM tolerance of 720nm and allows up to 900nm and stage 3 1000nm... so I'm wondering is your wear or software?

Mines had eurocharged tweaks on the tcu that dropped into neutral. The other stock tcu I have is software version 2010.

In MB the gearbox is the torque "master". If the box says at 3500rpm @ 100% throttle in 2nd the torque should not exceed 700nm, then it feeds this limit back to the engine ecu and it bleeds boost/pulls timing etc.

This is why they tend to last so long. You don't want the box to slip at all in gear, as thats what wears the clutches.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
so from the engine & trans info, it believes its in a condition where torque being made is approaching their version of events that should be giving said power output and winds it back....

so effectively a blo0dy computer derived traction control for the gearbox

I guess that's the same on the BM and maybe mine was just slipping inside?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Torque control is a common feature in modern (and not so modern) cars.
Mid 90s Saabs had torque control in first and second gear (in a manual). Later ones the Trionic ECU operates on the basis of torque request to control boost, injection, timing and throttle.

Top Bottom