Keyless Go Question

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Now that I've got the hang of Keyless Go, I can see the dangers of how such a car can be nicked.

So...I've shown to myself that all the KG functions operate even when the Push-to-Go/Push-to-Stop button is removed. What I'm not sure of is whether this button is coded to the car or not because, if not, any scrote could bring one along and, using the modern cloning techniques, start the car and go, even without keys. Does anybody know the answer?

Ernie

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
First thing to do is get a Faraday pouch, look on Amazon and read reviews before buying.
Never leave the key by a perimeter wall whether in the pouch or not.

I think the big problem with keyless go is the bridge system where one scum walks around your house with a repeater and the other scum waits at the car with the receiver box that unlocks the car using the code sent from your key, all done in real time so no need for a cloned key.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Press the lock button twice when locking and KG is disabled ...
Then for good measure as above , faraday pouch and make sure your spare is in a tin box buried in your sock drawer nowhere near a perimeter wall - again as above ..
I do all above and have an Autowatch Ghost too
Not paranoid me no sir :p

Wabby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY17 C250d Coupè
Press the lock button twice when locking and KG is disabled ...
Then for good measure as above , faraday pouch and make sure your spare is in a tin box buried in your sock drawer nowhere near a perimeter wall - again as above ..
I do all above and have an Autowatch Ghost too
Not paranoid me no sir :p

Make sure if you have a spare key, you double lock that key as well otherwise the scroates will just boost that signal and get in/drive away anyway.

OP
E

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for the replies, guys. The spare key is sorted and I'll have a look at Faraday pouches. However, double locking doesn't disable the keyless go on mine...unless there is something I'm missing...have any of you checked that it works?

Ernie

OP
E

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for the replies, guys. The spare key is sorted and I'll have a look at Faraday pouches. However, double locking doesn't disable the keyless go on mine...unless there is something I'm missing...have any of you checked that it works?

Ernie
OK folks, got it now; I wasn't pressing the button quickly enough. Thanks for all the help.

Ernie

CDK1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: S400 Hybrid 2015
Greetings,
I have just acquired a 2015 S400 Highbrid which has a KLG button. The instruction book advises that if the car is to be left for some time, then for security the KLG button can be pulled out and removed. Like Ernieh above, I have checked and the car can then be used with the key as any normal car.
I am considering removing the KLG button permanently, sticking it in my sock draw and using the car with the key. This would negate this particular weakness in the security system.
However, how does the KLG button work?
I have heard some vehicles issue a new code every time?
Is there an internal battery (the other end looks just like any key)?
If so, can the battery be replaced & how?
Does it occasionally have to be inserted into the car?
Can it be left off permanently?
Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks & Regards
CDK1

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
Greetings,
I have just acquired a 2015 S400 Highbrid which has a KLG button. The instruction book advises that if the car is to be left for some time, then for security the KLG button can be pulled out and removed. Like Ernieh above, I have checked and the car can then be used with the key as any normal car.
I am considering removing the KLG button permanently, sticking it in my sock draw and using the car with the key. This would negate this particular weakness in the security system.
However, how does the KLG button work?
I have heard some vehicles issue a new code every time?
Is there an internal battery (the other end looks just like any key)?
If so, can the battery be replaced & how?
Does it occasionally have to be inserted into the car?
Can it be left off permanently?
Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks & Regards
CDK1

I doubt there is anything electronic in the stop/start button. OEM replacements can be bought on ebay for a few pounds.
I do think removing it if the car is left for long periods is a good idea. As I understand it, if the key is elecronically cloned the car cannot be started without a button, but most likely resourceful thieves will carry a spare.

I notice that when I take the car in for service the technician always removes the stop/start button but I have presumed this is to guard against misplacing the key. I now always double lock.

Very nice car by the way :cool:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I doubt there is anything electronic in the stop/start button. OEM replacements can be bought on ebay for a few pounds.
I do think removing it if the car is left for long periods is a good idea. As I understand it, if the key is elecronically cloned the car cannot be started without a button, but most likely resourceful thieves will carry a spare.

I notice that when I take the car in for service the technician always removes the stop/start button but I have presumed this is to guard against misplacing the key. I now always double lock.

Very nice car by the way :cool:
They have to use the key in the ignition to run certain diagnostics I think?

CDK1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: S400 Hybrid 2015
Thanks, anglasit and John Laidlow, for your comments

Regarding the KLG button. I am not completely certain about the double lock system. Double clicking the 'lock' button on the key does disable the KLG, but I am still considering that removing the button completely from the vehicle would be simpler, easier and more secure. After all, button or not, I have to carry the key in my possession anyway - might as well put it in the ignition.

Yes it is a nice car, though I was a bit hesitant at first as it was on sale in the Midlands but with a Northern Ireland number plate advertising the name of a NI leasing company with a branch in Birmingham & V5 showed owner in Lisburn. Also it had only two services shown 2015-2016 (in NI) on the Merc digital system, then the third a manual non digital invoice by the selling Ford dealership in 2018. The HPI check (hopefully they cover NI in same detail as England) came back clean with only a change of Number Plate shown. Now I've got it home, notice the plastic "wooden" trim on the front passenger door is ever so slightly a faintly different tinge (replaced?) and shutting it slowly, there is a sound like it has been out of alignment (or removed?) sometime - though the paint finish outside, hinges, spaces in the door seams and joints look fine. Might have (probably) taken a bit of a chance, but I've had it for a few months, and so far so good !

Regards

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks, anglasit and John Laidlow, for your comments

Regarding the KLG button. I am not completely certain about the double lock system. Double clicking the 'lock' button on the key does disable the KLG, but I am still considering that removing the button completely from the vehicle would be simpler, easier and more secure. After all, button or not, I have to carry the key in my possession anyway - might as well put it in the ignition.

Yes it is a nice car, though I was a bit hesitant at first as it was on sale in the Midlands but with a Northern Ireland number plate advertising the name of a NI leasing company with a branch in Birmingham & V5 showed owner in Lisburn. Also it had only two services shown 2015-2016 (in NI) on the Merc digital system, then the third a manual non digital invoice by the selling Ford dealership in 2018. The HPI check (hopefully they cover NI in same detail as England) came back clean with only a change of Number Plate shown. Now I've got it home, notice the plastic "wooden" trim on the front passenger door is ever so slightly a faintly different tinge (replaced?) and shutting it slowly, there is a sound like it has been out of alignment (or removed?) sometime - though the paint finish outside, hinges, spaces in the door seams and joints look fine. Might have (probably) taken a bit of a chance, but I've had it for a few months, and so far so good !

Regards
Removing the button disables keyless go (unless the thief has a button to use) but doesn't disable keyless entry.
Just removing the button does virtually nothing to aid security. If the thieves us a relay device (one end of which is secreted in the pocket of the guy walking out the car park next to you) and they gain access to the lock if the have their own button they're away with your car.
Double locking disables the entire possibility of a relay type entry as well as the ability for them to start the car without the physical key.

Pitsmoor Col

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014. W205, C Class C220. Diesel Blutec Automatic Saloon.
I have removed the stop/start button, and I am now in the habit of double pressing the lock button on the fob. And as an extra precaution I pop it in an old Tea Caddy at night, I have also removed the battery from the spare key and put it in "the sock drawer"

Pitsmoor Col

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes mate, the key and the battery are in "the sock drawer" but the battery is not in the key..

Pitsmoor Col

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The stop/start button is not coded to the car, which in my opinion is a shame. If it was the car could be made more secure by removing the button and slipping it in your pocket every time you park up for the evening or whenever. But I suppose MB are trying to keep cost's down.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
They have to use the key in the ignition to run certain diagnostics I think?

Its an absolute ball ache to operate KG when you have to do various ignition on/off procedures with the button. Sometimes you can end up starting the engine and collapsing a test you were doing, other times the ignition is off when you need it on. It does my head in. So i do the same, remove the button and put it in the centre consul.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Its an absolute ball ache to operate KG when you have to do various ignition on/off procedures with the button. Sometimes you can end up starting the engine and collapsing a test you were doing, other times the ignition is off when you need it on. It does my head in. So i do the same, remove the button and put it in the centre consul.
Thanks Steve, knew there were reasons you professionals did it- same for us amateurs :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I didn't think KG cars would start without the brake pedal depressed?

Pitsmoor Col

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't think KG cars would start without the brake pedal depressed?

KG cars will not start without the brake pedal depressed, but if you take the button out and use the key you can start the engine, but to shift gear you have to depress the brake pedal.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom