REMAPPING OF THE ECU ?

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
REMAPPING OF THE ECU.

I took the advice of Yorkshire1 and got Simon from "CC Chipping" to fit my chips to the ECU fully soldered in, great guy with fantastic know how, he used to work on software for missiles etc.
The car is just as i wanted it, more torque at the bottom end, so take off from stop is much better and i have yet to see what the m/way performance is like, all be it that was ok previously.
It is nice to know i have 30 more BHP and i could have better MPG.
Finally i was amused when Simon was removing my ECU that he asked me what the wiring alterations were, i explained i had electronically stopped "limp mode" as i had blanked of the EGR valve, (exh.gas.recirc) valve, he said how did you know how to do it, i replied that i was involved in PCB, (printed circuit boards), when i was working.
This a great club site and it put me onto a very good guy, Simon. Herbie.

charlysays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto Estate
Hi Charleysays, Thank you for the info. I have just been in touch with my local "Inde"he claims that on an older car like mine, with high mileage, i am better off with a chipping up grade, rather than a full mapping up grade, the latter being more suited to the more recent modern cars. He said he has this type of chip on his Mitsubishy and can deliver more torque and take the e-300 td up to 220 BHP. He knows my car from new in 1997 and that the engine is spot on and will cope comfortably with the chip up grade.Herbie.

The two things are one and the same.... sounds like he doesn't know anything about MSA ECUs. There are two chips in there which control fuelling and boost as well as limp modes due to the fuelling and boost. The chips both need physically removing from the board and reprogramming with an EPROM writer. Maybe he's talking about an aftermarket tuning box which tricks the ECU to allowing more fuel and boost.

The "don't map a high mileage car" thing is generally a myth too IMO. I mapped my 250k mile old C250 TD and then was towing a ton with it flat out for a good while with no issues. If the car is on deaths door then it may hasten its end but any reasonably sound maintained car will be fine. Rest assured your merc will probably die of rust before a remap lol.

IIRC Seanyt now charges 250 Euros to solder sockets into your ECU as well as an immobiliser emulator which means the ECU can be used in any car of the same type without immo issues. Also makes the immo system less likely to fail- the de-immo board was developed to fix immo issues originally so will limit future potential issues. He may offer the ECU work cheaper if you opted to not have the de-immo. He then supplies the remaps FOC and send you the chips for you to swap with some EPROM tweezers.

Simon is a good guy and will put in a map which won't put your car at any risk of damage or failing the MOT on smoke whatsoever and is also the most convenient as there is almost no downtime on the car. Sean is your best bet if you want a bit more poke (up to 300hp from the E300 TD if you fit something like a T04E turbo) for more risk, don't want the cost of the work permanently locked to that car (if you crashed your car for example with seans ECU you can just remove it and fit it to your next car of the same type). Sean also offer super safe stage 1 maps though and can remove the ability for the ECU to Limp due to stuff like overboost, MAF issues etc, even increase the rev limit. Overall Sean is better value for money/ better investment but Simons service is way more convenient and more suited to someone who doesn't want to do any fitting work.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Where you been for the last 18 months?:rolleyes:

dobe762

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm very late to the game with this, I've had my 300D 1996 estate for about 10 years, was recently thinking about selling it to buy something a little more exciting to drive. Thats when I found these threads and am hopeful that someone can direct me to Sean's website so I can contact him regarding my car, its not a turbo so unsure if he can get me any gains? anyone else with a non turbo get the ECU remapped? thanks in advance

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
I'm very late to the game with this, I've had my 300D 1996 estate for about 10 years, was recently thinking about selling it to buy something a little more exciting to drive. Thats when I found these threads and am hopeful that someone can direct me to Sean's website so I can contact him regarding my car, its not a turbo so unsure if he can get me any gains? anyone else with a non turbo get the ECU remapped? thanks in advance
Like you I'm looking at an old thread. I'm sure you would get some gains out of a non turbo engine, but the turbo version can have the boost pressure increased. I used to run a Jaguar S Type 2.7 turbo diesel ( non DPF ) and I had that re mapped and the difference was unbelievable, it did away with the slight turbo lag and gave the engine 40 BHP more and another 100 ft lbs of torque. It didn't have any detrimental effect on the engine or for that matter fuel consumption. I had the car for 11 years.

dobe762

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The two things are one and the same.... sounds like he doesn't know anything about MSA ECUs. There are two chips in there which control fuelling and boost as well as limp modes due to the fuelling and boost. The chips both need physically removing from the board and reprogramming with an EPROM writer. Maybe he's talking about an aftermarket tuning box which tricks the ECU to allowing more fuel and boost.

The "don't map a high mileage car" thing is generally a myth too IMO. I mapped my 250k mile old C250 TD and then was towing a ton with it flat out for a good while with no issues. If the car is on deaths door then it may hasten its end but any reasonably sound maintained car will be fine. Rest assured your merc will probably die of rust before a remap lol.

IIRC Seanyt now charges 250 Euros to solder sockets into your ECU as well as an immobiliser emulator which means the ECU can be used in any car of the same type without immo issues. Also makes the immo system less likely to fail- the de-immo board was developed to fix immo issues originally so will limit future potential issues. He may offer the ECU work cheaper if you opted to not have the de-immo. He then supplies the remaps FOC and send you the chips for you to swap with some EPROM tweezers.

Simon is a good guy and will put in a map which won't put your car at any risk of damage or failing the MOT on smoke whatsoever and is also the most convenient as there is almost no downtime on the car. Sean is your best bet if you want a bit more poke (up to 300hp from the E300 TD if you fit something like a T04E turbo) for more risk, don't want the cost of the work permanently locked to that car (if you crashed your car for example with seans ECU you can just remove it and fit it to your next car of the same type). Sean also offer super safe stage 1 maps though and can remove the ability for the ECU to Limp due to stuff like overboost, MAF issues etc, even increase the rev limit. Overall Sean is better value for money/ better investment but Simons service is way more convenient and more suited to someone who doesn't want to do any fitting work.
Hi there, I have a 1996 W124 non turbo, can you put me in contact with Seanyt I've been searching and just cant find contact details for him, thanks.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi there, I have a 1996 W124 non turbo, can you put me in contact with Seanyt I've been searching and just cant find contact details for him, thanks.
I'd be very surprised if you can get anything extra. As far as I'm aware that engine is fully mechanical injection so remaps aren't possible.
No turbo so no boost tuning opportunities either.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I'm sure quite a few would of done a turbo conversion.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm sure quite a few would of done a turbo conversion.
Problem is the turbo MB fitted won't fit on a right hand drive car as the steering column is in the way

dobe762

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think most went for an engine transplant
I've considered that option, but my car has only done 67k. I'm not after 500BHP, but a 40-50BHP increase or even a 20BHP would be a nice step up.

dobe762

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can anyone give me contact details for the guys Sean or Simon mentioned in this thread? thanks

charlysays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto Estate

Hi mate, as others have said a remap won't work as your engine has no turbo and likely no ECU. You might gain a few ponies by advancing the timing and turning up the fuel a bit but it won't make much difference. Most of those W124 E300D had a fully mechanical pump.

Your best bet would be to get hold of some donor parts from an E300 TD- Turbo, both manifolds, exhaust down pipe, intercooler and fit those. You'll probably need a chinese silicone and alu universal induction pipe kit to plumb it all up and make the odd bracket for the intercooler etc, sort out other pipes, exhaust pipe etc.
You can take an oil feed for the turbo of the spare M12 bolt on the oil filter housing and use a stainless braided hydraulic hose.
For an oil drain I would remove the sump and drill and tap the block where the oil drain blank is present on the casting but not drilling or tapped. Quite and easy job.

Basically find someone who has bought an E300 TD for a donor car for their super high power OM606 conversion- they will have all the bits you need and for cheap. They will take a little adapting but it will work.

Contrary to popular belief there is room for a turbo on the W124 UK cars. It's tight but it works.

The N/A engines can easily handle mild tuning up to about 75hp per cylinder so more than enough to make it fairly quick.

The only slight headache is the pump. To get the most benefit you want a 6cyl turbo pump off a european W124- these have a turbo boost compensator device which increases fuel in response to boost pressure and have 6mm pump elements to deliver more fuel.

You will probably get another 30hp or so by fitting the turbo and other bits and just turning up the max fuel screw on your stock pump.

Or you could send your stock pump off to DPUK and get them to fit 6mm elements and fit a boost compensator. You might be able to save here again if you can find an E300TD donor as the electronic pumps have 6mm elements which can be transplanted into your 5.5mm element normally aspirated pump.

Or.... you could get the ECU and EDC pump off the E300TD donor and get Sean Treacy to help you with a standalone loom and ECU to run the 6mm EDC pump. This is probably a cheaper but more hassly option than getting your mechanical pump tuned and would deliver heaps of smoke free power.

It's a nice project tbh and very doable and rewarding.

Join superturbodiesel on facebook and the people on there will help you through it. Sean Treacy is also a member on that ground so you'll find him on there.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom