Roof boxes....talk to me

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
So I need a bit more storage for the odd occasion and rather looking for an estate version of my current car or even moving up to an E class I thought I’d consider adding a roof box instead.

Trouble is I know sweet FA about them so was hoping you chaps could talk me through it. I presume I need roof bars and a box to sit atop them but I have no idea where to start.

The car is a 2008 w204 saloon listed in my signature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Mines a 2008 W204 saloon too.

You need bars, a mounting kit that fastens to the bars and a foot pack to bolt to the car.
The mounting for the roof is quick to bolt on after the initial fitting but it takes time to get the first fit right.
It takes me around 5 minutes at most to fit the bars on or take them off. And another 5 minutes to put the box on and secure it.
They never leave any marks or damage on the roof, just lift the flaps, put the feet in place and bolt it to the roof fixings.
I started with a 320 litre box but now use a 530 litre box which doesn't look too big for the car but it is heavier to lift on.
Don't put too much weight in the box. I think 70 kilos is the max loading (check first) but that includes the weight of the box.
Clamping the box to the bars is a bit difficult as my box only opens on one side. Dual opening are much easier to fit but are more expensive.
If you leave the bars on they do make some noise but not too noticeable, aero bars are quieter, mine are square bars.

Attachments

• roof box aerial view.jpg
    roof box aerial view.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mines a 2008 W204 saloon too.

You need bars, a mounting kit that fastens to the bars and a foot pack to bolt to the car.
The mounting for the roof is quick to bolt on after the initial fitting but it takes time to get the first fit right.
It takes me around 5 minutes at most to fit the bars on or take them off. And another 5 minutes to put the box on and secure it.
They never leave any marks or damage on the roof, just lift the flaps, put the feet in place and bolt it to the roof fixings.
I started with a 320 litre box but now use a 530 litre box which doesn't look too big for the car but it is heavier to lift on.
Don't put too much weight in the box. I think 70 kilos is the max loading (check first) but that includes the weight of the box.
Clamping the box to the bars is a bit difficult as my box only opens on one side. Dual opening are much easier to fit but are more expensive.
If you leave the bars on they do make some noise but not too noticeable, aero bars are quieter, mine are square bars.

Thank you ever so much for the detailed reply. Yours look very sleek from what I can tell from the picture. I will probably size up what I’m after in store at say Halfords to get the look and feel. I’ll probably look online thereafter to buy.

I presume you can fit generic bars and most boxes will fit them or do you need matching bars and boxes in your experience?

Thanks again

Last edited:

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
That photo is a crop from a drone video when I was landing. I couldn't find any actual photos.
I did have some on my phone but it got reset when I took it in for a repair.
It's a 530 quest box from Go Outdoors, it was on an offer and really cheap when I bought it but would have preferred a double opening. The Quest opens on the wrong side for UK s it opens on the road side when parked in the normal direction, but that's no problem for my use, camping.
The Quest JUST squeezes under the garage door when fitted, it actually rubs the garage door. The double openers of the same capacity were a bit higher so wouldn't fit unfortunately but the Quest is a good box.
The only issue is reaching over to fit the hinge side U bolts to secure the roof box to the bars.

The foot pack is the most important bit in my opinion, get that right and fit the right bars, the pack will say which bars are suitable. The boxes generally fit any bars but some will be for aero bars or square bars only.
I cant see the number of the foot pack on mine but it's a Thule.
Full width boxes are best , I wouldnt go fot the thinner ones unless it's for a specific use.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Thule all the way for roof bars and boxes.

Use this tool to get the parts required
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/buyers-guide

Put in the respective vehicle which will give you the bars and foot kit. There is a different fitting for saloon roof or estate roof with side bars fitted.

Thule is a modular set up so once you have the bars you can change the foot kit as you change vehicle. Other bits of kit like roofboxes, cycle carriers, kayak racks, ski racks etc all fit the bars.

Roofboxes open both sides. Do you want to carry long loads like skis in the box, then go for the longer boxes, if not a regular box will do. The boxes fir the bars using a power grip clamp around the bar arrangement. Other bits fit by a mechanical mount, basically a flat square head on a shank of a bolt, that fits in a slot machined in the bar called 'T' track.

All bars, boxes etc are lockable. You can get them keyed alike so you only have 1 key number for all your locks.

For new Roland at https://www.roofracks-roofboxes.co.uk is your man, plus any advice you need. Yes you can shop around...

You can get new from Gumtree. I bought new wing bars for my GLE for £55 off gumtree. Foot kit from Tredz who will price match.

Ebay is good for used boxes. Take your time as you can get bargains, or pay more than new. Worth watching a few things first. Get the part numbers from the Thule site and search by number not generic 'roof box/bars'.

I always go longer (wider) for roof bars to get more on the roof like roof box and cycle carriers.

If you end with an estate check the new fangled edge bars that sit down inside the roof rails allow a sunroof to open if you have one.

Thule make the MB OEM bits.

Don't sell Thule kit, it lasts for decades and is interchangeable.

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
How often is occasionally?

It's possible to hire roof boxes, you turn up, they fit it, you use it and return it when you've finished.

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
I rented one from HSS years ago; cost me about £35 for 2 weeks iirc......
Or £300+ to buy and take up a load of space

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting....it would in the region of about 4-5 weekends over the next few months. But I’m the longer term I don’t expect to need one. I’ll look into hiring from HSS....thanks for the heads up.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom