Arnott or Aerosus Rear Suspension air bags ? W212/S212 Eclass estate

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Read (Finnish MB forum) couple of really bad experience about Aerosus, plus their warranty has been really PITA job...

I installed a Miessler strut in my W220, slight clunky noise heard when cold (< zero C).

Does Arnott struts have already real ADS valve or just emulator?

I bought a pair of rear shockers for my R Class from Areosus. A few months later, one of them was pointed out to me as leaking oil, I contacted Areosus who sent me details to on how to return it. A replacement shocker was sent very quickly at no further cost. I couldn't fault them

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi,

I read the Arnott write up on how to replace the bags and to say that it is optimistic is an understatement. I replaced the air suspension units on my S212. It took time and effort. The suspension on my car didn't drop enough to to allow the old unit to be removed or get the new units fitted. I had to disconnect the shock absorber and lower axle bolt to allow enough room. I wrote it up on this site - search "S212 rear suspension dropping".
Someone posted that it would take 15 mins a side - yeah right!!? Mine took 3 or 4 hours for the first side (that included trial and error before I started the further dismantling). I took less time on the other side. Maybe I was slow and I was doing it on the driveway with a Jack and axle stands.
I used Aerosus units and all good since - that's getting close to 2 years now.

Good luck doing it.

OP
Wenglish1984

Wenglish1984

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63 5.5 V8 BI-TURBO W212 2015
Hi,

I read the Arnott write up on how to replace the bags and to say that it is optimistic is an understatement. I replaced the air suspension units on my S212. It took time and effort. The suspension on my car didn't drop enough to to allow the old unit to be removed or get the new units fitted. I had to disconnect the shock absorber and lower axle bolt to allow enough room. I wrote it up on this site - search "S212 rear suspension dropping".
Someone posted that it would take 15 mins a side - yeah right!!? Mine took 3 or 4 hours for the first side (that included trial and error before I started the further dismantling). I took less time on the other side. Maybe I was slow and I was doing it on the driveway with a Jack and axle stands.
I used Aerosus units and all good since - that's getting close to 2 years now.

Good luck doing it.

This is exactly what I was concerned about after watching other videos on YouTube etc of having to remove and adjust lost of other suspension parts.

Cant see why it would be any different to fitting these Arnotts compared to the aerosus that you fitted

Either way I'll have a good go today and report back thank you

OP
Wenglish1984

Wenglish1984

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi everyone well it’s completed and got the first one removed in around 15 mins I was well impressed thinking everything was going to be easy, until I had to put the new one in lol it seems a larger size compared to the genuine Mercedes one that was fitted and being brand new everything was nice and stiff and spent ages trying to figure a way around it.

I ended up having to remove suspension parts and other bits to make enough room to get it fitted, the second side was the same but took a lot less time as obviously I knew how to do it that time.

Anyway it’s completed and I’ve saved quite a few quid doing it myself and learning new things so all good in the end also the ones that were removed were rotting away so they definitely needed replacing

Thanks everyone for your input it’s been greatly appreciated

Tomorrow’s a new day my first attempt on the Mercedes at a oil change and the dreaded M276 PETROL CGI spark plug change this I am dreading but again I’ll give it a try and anything to save a few quid and learn

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very well done.
I think the old ones just get compressed over time and so are smaller.
I suspect the Merc genuine ones would be just as difficult to fit.
Anyway, great to get it done.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

I would agree but, as far as I can see, they are €480 each !!

OP
Wenglish1984

Wenglish1984

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ive had nothing but trouble with Arnott components, they are now supplied through GSF as the distribution arm.

Just fit MB genuine.[/QUOT

Hi Steve mate hope your well, I’m really gutted to hear you say you have had nothing but trouble with the Arnott components and I wish now that I’d asked your opinion before I purchased and fitted them, especially after last weeks visit to your garage I would trust you fully and I would never have purchased them had I known the issues you had faced :(

I was just trying to save money by buying the Arnotts as I’ve seen some really good feedback on them online etc but I can only say I hope Ill be one of the lucky ones

Anton Chigurh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s212
Hi all,

New here and my search for an answer is what lead me here. Seems like a really good forum.

So, last night my rear suspension failed on 1 side, strange thing is it actually blew the air cell ( for want of a better word ) out of position. Bottom stayed in place but the top was blown out against the tyre and while the air line hasn't snapped it is under massive pressure. I am not even sure if the air cell itself has actually failed but I can only assume it has.

My main question is this - on my limited research, is there an electrical connection as well as the airline connection ? I am thinking it has been torn off.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

To answer your question -- No there is no electrical connection to the Self Levelling Air Suspension that is on the S212 (assuming you only have air suspension on the rear of the car and the front has standard coil springs).

That looks like a horrible mess.
a) the air suspension unit is completely wrecked.
b) the shock absorber looks to have failed too. The suspension arms, etc. look to be soaked in a fluid which is probably the contents of the shock absorber -- it could also be brake fluid?

How did the suspension travel extend enough to allow the air suspension unit to lose its seating? Did something else fail?

You will have to unscrew the little nut on the end of the air line but be careful as the air pressure in these is very high (> 100 psi).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Looks like there has been a blockage sufficient enough to back pressure the lot to destruction! Nasty!:eek:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
How did the suspension travel extend enough to allow the air suspension unit to lose its seating? Did something else fail?
I'd suggest the damper failed first allowing the wheel to drop past maximum travel and the spring to unseat.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom