DPF and driving

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I used to work for Shell in Oz. Admittedly, we are somewhat different to GB but, here, we only have one refinery in each state. The only Shell one left in Oz is in Sydney. Other capitals range through Caltex, BP, Mobil etc etc.
When a Shell service station gets a delivery of diesel in Brisbane, as an example, it comes either from the Caltex refinery or from large storage tanks where all the fuel is shipped in from Singapore. Lots of deliveries are made in non-marked tankers to perpetuate the myth. There is nowhere that any additives can be mixed with the fuels once they leave the refinery. Pure myth.....
I'd be very surprised if the same does not apply in GB.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
at the storage depot they put the additives in as each tanker is loaded … depending upon which customer is getting what load the additives appropriate to that customer is added on loading

very simple and very easy to pretend it isn't the case …. as more use DPFs the truth will out as they say

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I always use premium fuel and I have to believe that there are additives used otherwise by now I feel sure the press would have run articles on it and our trading standards would have been involved by now.

Of course I have no proof either way.

Robin

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
There is nowhere that any additives can be mixed with the fuels once they leave the refinery. Pure myth.....
I'd be very surprised if the same does not apply in GB.

Costco apparently adds the additives on delivery at the filling station.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Fake news?
To me, first-hand experience is worth far more than hearsay.
As Oigle has asked - has anyone here who has given their opinion on additives any definite proof to back it up? If not, why pass on as fact what is nothing more than rumour.

I have no experience regarding fuel additives, but this topic surfaces from time to time and the old chestnuts are recycled without firm evidence.

One aspect makes sense to me - if large suppliers state that additives are included with particular fuel brands, then presumably that is true, or by now their falsehoods would have been exposed.
But - what additives, in what quantities, and for what purposes, never seems to be quantified.

OP
Ravs1988

Ravs1988

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C Class Coupe AMG Sport BlueEfficiency 2011 C220cdi
I should change the name of this thread......

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Great, then I can find out from you,
then I can tell the guys down the pub and then we'll all know :) :confused: .
No worries, one of my colleagues who handles more of the ‘downsteam’ stuff will either already know or is on these sites regularly. My guess would be that the additives are blended at tanker gantry filling, it’s the most logical point.
My other colleagues who handle the forecourt stuff know it ain’t done there!

Reactions: M80

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
OP
Ravs1988

Ravs1988

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C Class Coupe AMG Sport BlueEfficiency 2011 C220cdi
Apologies OP, your thread has indeed been hijacked!
Where did we get to on the DPF?

no worries, I was just playing :)..you gents can carry on!

Think some people just suggested that the car would auto re-gen, but for my own peace of mind, I will still continue to take it monthly as I may cut the auto regen in town as my journey may not be long enough and coupled with the subtle signs too I may just miss it entirely

Guess what my initial question was asking to grasp peoples thoughts and what do they do...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
no worries, I was just playing :)..you gents can carry on!

Think some people just suggested that the car would auto re-gen, but for my own peace of mind, I will still continue to take it monthly as I may cut the auto regen in town as my journey may not be long enough and coupled with the subtle signs too I may just miss it entirely

Guess what my initial question was asking to grasp peoples thoughts and what do they do...
On my XC90 diesel I do as you do basically, it gets a good motoring shall we say once a fortnight.
It has no manual gear override so it’s a bit of a challenge - when I had the A6 diesel I was able to use the flappy’s to drop down a gear or two to get the revs up. That was a truly awful car in that respect as it showed a ‘becoming clogged’ sign almost once a week towards the end when my wife was driving it (and not often)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The BP website is quite specific about the benefits of their Ultimate fuels but their bog standard 95 and diesel are, presumably, the same everyone else’s.

This link gives a bit more justification for their claims
https://www.bp.com/en_gb/united-kin...mate-fuels/bp-ultimate-technical-details.html

You would think so but.... my local fuel station has just changed from BP to Esso and I’ve used BP diesel more or less exclusively since I bought the car 3 years ago. I thought I’d try Esso for a while to see if there is a difference and after the second fill have gone back to BP, the engine was noticeably noisier on throttle (and not a pleaseant noise) which could only be injector/valve/piston noise, there was no difference in performance

Regarding the OP’s concern about DPF clogging I shared his concern when I bought the 350cdi but MB seem to have done a very good job with the design and the forced regeneration if interrupted continues at the next start-up (assuming the engine gets up to temperature). Easy to tell when the OM642 is regenerating the DPF revs won’t drop below 800rpm until the cycle finishes which takes about 7 miles, it may not be so noticeable with the OM651

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I,m not sure why , maybe I read it but something like - the dpf wont regen until the dpf is 100% full , so going for a fortnightly spin is just going for a drive with no purpose as it wont regen until its full ?
Please feel free to correct me :)
dpf,s do seem a bit of a "black art" with no one seemingly knowing for sure exactly how these things work?
Im at 32% and monitoring ! Once im at 100 then I will go for a long drive if it hasn't regenerated already..

Top Bottom