Front end knocking.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Up to date I've changed every front arm and ball joints in the hub, plus arb link arms .both front shocks and top mounts my knock still exists over small repeated bumps on uneven roads. It doesn't make a sound over speed bumps or bumps at speed. Which kinda tells me it may not be the arb bushes,Has anyone had issues with the top horse shoe shaped mounts and the end ball joint , can you remember the metallic rattle and what did you change to cure this. Thanks.

2008 CLS w219.

gassed up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C207 350CDI;2010 C207 350CDI sport;2010 SLK300;2004 C209 320;2000 C208 230K;
Up to date I've changed every front arm and ball joints in the hub, plus arb link arms .both front shocks and top mounts my knock still exists over small repeated bumps on uneven roads. It doesn't make a sound over speed bumps or bumps at speed. Which kinda tells me it may not be the arb bushes,Has anyone had issues with the top horse shoe shaped mounts and the end ball joint , can you remember the metallic rattle and what did you change to cure this. Thanks.

2008 CLS w219.
I had a metallic rattle from the suspension on my C209 which had me stumped for about 3 years. Only found the cause when I stripped the rear suspension for a rebuild, transpired that the last 50mm of one of the springs had snapped off and was rattling in the spring pan. It couldn't be seen until the lower wishbone was removed.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You've probably replaced them, but the balljoints that the arb drop links attach to, the ones pressed into the arm, are notoriously difficult to diagnose.

OP
onefortheroad

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
what about the actual bushes holding the arm to the car? oddly true - most noises start here

I was going to detatch both arb links and drive it. If noise remains . its not them . looks like the bushes are bonded and you change the whole arb ..

OP
onefortheroad

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You've probably replaced them, but the balljoints that the arb drop links attach to, the ones pressed into the arm, are notoriously difficult to diagnose.

Changed the whole arm. But thanks.

OP
onefortheroad

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only other thing is the strut track arm ball joints . maybe better off replacing the arms plus ball joints . if it stick knocks . its a vw tiguan on the drive !!!

OP
onefortheroad

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Today I took both arb links off and the rumble sound is still audible. So I'm ruling out the arb bushes. I've ordered both sides upper mounts and will fit those and see if things improve. Last chance saloon .

OP
onefortheroad

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
onefortheroad

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
onefortheroad

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can only be the upper wishbone joints or possibly the bolts which go through the camber arms not set in the groves properly.

I've 2 wishbone arms on the way fitting this weekend . camber arm bolts are normal round ones set in middle position. I did pry at the bushes in the top wishbone arms and did see slop to a degree . I'll get em changed and see what's what , cars on 88k so they'll be tired I suppose.it sounds like a machine gun over uneven ground and is in time with bound and rebound
Thanks for reply .

OP
onefortheroad

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hello, has anyone here with access to wis , be able to check for the torque setting for the top nut that sits on the shock absorber for a 2008 w219 cls . thanks .

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom