Search results

1. moosehead

Brake Judder

Had a similar problem with my W203 a few years OK. Mine has the larger Sport Pack twin piston calipers on the front. Turned out to be a sticky piston on the front N/S caliper which then caused the disc to wear unevenly after only a few thousand miles. As another member suggested, I suspect this...
  2. moosehead

Changes to fuel / E10

Definitely but of course now limited to 9L with new 'duty free' allowances post Brexit. That will hardly last to Calais!
  3. moosehead

Changes to fuel / E10

Mines the M272 2.5Litre V6 and we used to use it frequently to motor down to Geneva from the SW before we got the Volvo. Always used to get 33-34 mpg using 95 at 130kmh. The first tank of E10 I tried almost 10 years ago saw it drop to just below 30 mpg on same autoroutes, speed and load plus...
  4. moosehead

Changes to fuel / E10

You would think think so. I can't be bothered to do the calc but it sounds about right. Still 1.5% (or 3% pre-E5) more fuel for most people and suspect that's conservative for older cars. My decrease in performance / economy was very noticeable on the autoroutes as I mentioned in my 10-11 year...
  5. moosehead

Changes to fuel / E10

Can't say I've ever noticed much difference in performance when using super in either my C230 V6 or wife's SLK230. There was a marked improvement in economy with super on the occasions I've used it for long distances on the French autoroute with my C class but for normal use see no point...
  6. moosehead

Changes to fuel / E10

https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/sp95-e10-unleaded-fuel.87330/ Here's the thread! A bit ironic that it was 10 years ago!
  7. moosehead

Changes to fuel / E10

Funnily enough I put a post up several years ago having filled up with E10 at a filling station on the French autoroute. We were travelling overnight so no option to get off so I thought I'd try E10 as super was significantly more expensive and they'd stopped selling normal E5 on the autoroute...
  8. moosehead

1999 SLK230 Selector Shaft Oil Seal Leak

It looks like the wife's SLK has a slight leak from the selector shaft oil seal on the nearside gearbox (722.6 box). Does anyone know if this can be replaced in situ on this vehicle or is it a complete gearbox removal? This would be a real pain for a seal costing a few quid!
  9. moosehead

2005 W203 Battery Charging via Tow Electrics

I have a 13 pin plug with CTEK plug on one end that I use to charge my Volvo XC60. The problem on the Volvo is that it doesn't have designated charge / jump points so it's a nightmare having to take covers off to access positive terminal and then find suitable earth. Also really convenient as I...
  10. moosehead

SLK230 R170 Windscreen Scuttle Removal

Thanks for the reply. That's what I've done periodically over the 20 years we've owned the vehicle. It's got to the point where it needs a thorough clean out plus it looks like one of the drain pipe has become slightly detached on the drivers side and it's impossible to get access from...
  11. moosehead

2005 C230 W203 M272 Breather Cover

Mine has started to leak very slightly. Have managed to get hold of a replacement and a set of 4 spare E10 torx bolts just in-case. Looks like it's a question of removing filter housing to gain access at back of engine (unit is located on end of cam cover on drivers side) although I can't see...
  12. moosehead

SLK230 R170 Windscreen Scuttle Removal

After years of managing to clear drains without having to remove the windscreen scuttle it looks like I have no option this time. Apart from wiper arms and half dozen phillips screws is there anything else I should be aware of? I'm hoping with these removed I can lift it up without disconnecting...
  13. moosehead

Yuasa Batteries

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like a Yuasa. I can't complain about the original. Almost 15 years and still going is quite remarkable considering the wife's SLK is on it's third Varta!
  14. moosehead

Yuasa Batteries

Does anyone have any experience of these? The original MB/Varta in my 2005 C230 hasn't let me down as yet but voltage is not great 12.1V if left overnight. No doubt it will just suddenly fail. I was going to go for the 019 100Ah Varta Silver Dynamic with a 5 year warranty but the equivalent...
  15. moosehead

C200 no dipstick-and low oil level warning

Definitely worth getting a dipstick if you can. Fortunately mine is fitted with one but several years ago I did have the low oil warning light come on. Luckily I checked the level before attempting to top up and it was up to the max mark. Turns out to be a dodgy sensor. According to my indie it...
  16. moosehead

Nexen tyres

After using Nexen Winguard Sports (winter tyre) on my W203 for the last 6 years I decided to try the Nfera's earlier this year. Have to say I'm very impressed with them for the money. Reminds me a bit of Kumho's when they came out - first incarnations not very good and then they seemed to get it...
  17. moosehead

W203 ESP Unavailable

Yes, it amazes me how long it's last. Mine is used daily for my commute and has done 156K miles so can't really complain. Will monitor the ESP (no ABS message). Not sure if fault is stored but might be worth asking my indie. I was also thinking along the lines of a possible sensor.
  18. moosehead

W203 ESP Unavailable

On Christmas Eve I had a message come up that the ESP was faulty and that I should visit the workshop. I stopped the car and restarted and then had a permanent 'ESP unavailable see owners manual' message. Having googled this I tried turning the steering wheel 8 times to right then left and then...
  19. moosehead

R170 SLK Roof Leak, Where is the Thread?

After 13 years on here totally agree. Everyone has always been extremely helpful and friendly. No point criticising anyone for trying to help even if they are slightly off the mark.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom