Search results

1. Dale Minton

ADVICE NEEDED - MICHELIN TYRES for SL55 AMG R230 (year 2003)

Michelin say a matched set of either M0 or * is okay, there is no difference in compound but there have probably been 'very' small structural changes to the carcass of the M0 model (hence the small differences in the way they look when fitted on the rim) as the M0 tyres were optimized between...
  2. Dale Minton

Can't see any difference in the spec's in any respect. I'm gonna contact Michelin and get their explanation why both tyre specs are recommended by themselves for the SL55 and moreover the differences. I'll let you all know for the record. Anybody else who wants to chip in now is still welcome of...
  3. Dale Minton

Hi Guys,and many thanks for your replies, appreciated. You are all misunderstanding an element of my question. I have no intention of mixing the tyres and the two tyres we are talking about are on the front only. the rears are both M01's (re stars's reply above). The tyre shop will replace...
  4. Dale Minton

Hi all, its been a long time since I posted here so I hope you're all well. Its time to replace the tyres on my SL55 and I've chosen Michelin Super Sports over the Pirelli P Zeros that I have had for a few years. However, I'm a bit confused over one thing. I had a set fitted but surprisingly...
  5. Dale Minton

PADDLE SHIFT ACTIVATION WITHOUT THE SELECT SWITCH - SL55 AMG R230 (2003)

Yes, you are right on the button with that and wise words ;). My feelings are that this model and some cars like this generally are effectively going to be the last of an era and good unmolested ones will hold their value and could become well sought after and valuable, we'll see...
  6. Dale Minton

Hi there, I appreciate your replies and that sounds a plausible explanation re the owner's manual. And you are right of course, it is what it is. ;) Dale
  7. Dale Minton

Hi L K, Sure, but it doesn't make sense because ALL the owner's manuals right through to those issued with 2006/2007 SL55's say the same thing as mine as issued for a 2003 model. As for a software update, and as I mentioned above, it seems that the gear stick control module may have been...
  8. Dale Minton

Okay thanks, the W213 is a completely different setup and a newer development, thanks for your input though. I just find it really odd that some other kind replies above have stated that the paddles on their SL55's work at any time (albeit slightly newer models) but all the Owners Manuals (for...
  9. Dale Minton

Hi Blobcat, and thanks for your reply. I agree, and that's how I see "manual mode" - and that's the confusing thing, it doesn't state in any of the Owners Hand Books that the paddles will operate if you're in another mode (as I can do in my Alpina and my Alpina also defaults back to auto if not...
  10. Dale Minton

This is interesting and at the same time confusing. If one downloads the appropriate pages from a 2004/5/6 and 7 Owners Manual and read the explanation vis-a-vis the way the gearbox works they all state the same thing as my 2003 Owners Manual. To allow the use of the steering wheel paddles and...
  11. Dale Minton

After further investigations with my excellent Indie (T&M Motors) it seems that it's an electronics issue (there is no difference in the gearbox). The gearstick control module (all part of the gearshift assembly) was changed for the models after the 2002/3 cars, this plainly bypasses the switch...
  12. Dale Minton

Hi Alex, Mine is a 2003 (03) plate model, so it seems from all the feedback that they changed (sensibly so) the ability to use the paddles at any time. There seems hope then... I'm just wondering what one will need to get done. I believe its the same gearbox and everything else looks exactly the...
  13. Dale Minton

Hi W, I wish mine did as yours. My paddles do nothing unless the mode switch is in Manual. Like yours however the left/right gear lever works the box instantly in all modes.
  14. Dale Minton

From the instruction manual, it would seem that you may have a Sequentronic gearbox with a transmission mode switch button (on the centre consul) that states only C/S. Also, it seems with this box that if you push the gear lever to the left it will stay in that (left hand) position and you use...
  15. Dale Minton

Thanks Guys, and I'm really sorry to hear about Malcolm, he was a great guy and contributor. I must admit to be taken aback that he passed in 2016 as I was sure that I'd posted things on here since then about my 55 and got responses from him -and I bought the 55 in 2016 - oh well, I'll miss him...
  16. Dale Minton

Would that somebody please step forward ( Mr Malcolm Televison? ) :geek:
  17. Dale Minton

Thanks W, I'm sure there's a solution, beats me why they didn't design it like that in the first place - progress I suppose. As mentioned the tiptronic overrides fine and as it should, but the switching for the paddles is as you say "a bit of a pita" :-( All other imput will be much appreciated ...
  18. Dale Minton

Hi all, As some of you may well know the steering wheel gearshift paddles on an SL55 (2003 model) will only operate once the 'manual mode' is selected via the 3-way switch situated on the centre consul. I have other vehicles (a BMW Alpina B5 and Abarth 595) where the steering wheel...
Top Bottom