Search results

1. L

Tyre mix between front and rear axles on 2018 SL500

Just to put a full stop on the discussion, I changed the rear tyres for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the improvement was marked. I then decided to change the fronts for the Michelins as well and now it's like driving a different car. Very happy with the results. Cheers for all the info. Laurie.
  2. L

Thanks all. If the problem persists past alignment and balancing checks I think the problem will be the mismatch of tyres between front & rear, not necessarily on the individual merits of the Yoko's or Bridgestones. I'll let you know how it pans out.
  3. L

Thanks again for all the advice. I do intend to have a 4 wheel alignment check done before I splash out on new tyres. I usually drive in Comfort mode as most roads round here are pretty slow. I do flick it into Sport when the opportunity arises of course. I'm thinking tyres because of my...
  4. L

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll need to change some tyres as I don't like the front/back mismatch. Also, having googled the MO ratings it seems that the MO (on the front tyres) is designed to give a luxurious "soft" ride whilst the MO1 (on the rear) is designed for high performance cars -...
  5. L

Hi all, I need help - yet again.. I bought a 2018 SL500, with 16K miles on it, in July 2020. For obvious reasons I haven't been able to go too far in it since. It has bags of power and runs beautifully but it's very skittish. I'm an old git of 66 so well used to rear wheel drive but this car...
  6. L

Thinking of buying a late 2012 SL500 4.7 Biturbo

Thanks, it does open up a bigger selection of cars if I include the later 449 BHP car. Maybe the slight 0-60 drop is linked to the new 9g gearbox but it's such a slight difference it's not worth worrying about.
  7. L

Don't know if you can resurrect a thread but I have a question for the knowledgeable on here. Still in France, but hoping to come back soon and buy my SL. Looking on Autotrader and it appears that around 2015 the 4.7 Biturbo was uprated from 435 to 449 BHP. However, the 0-60 went down a tad from...
  8. L

Yeah, I know. Some would question my "got all my marbles" statement too.... I still enjoy the 1000 mile each way drive from Yorkshire to Provence and then once you're down here the small roads are fantastic being virtually empty (apart from the Summer hols when it's buzzing with loony Parisians).
  9. L

Hi, apologies for the slow reply, I've been spending lockdown rebuilding my kitchen. Deep joy. Back to more interesting topics, I have considered both an E or C63. As per my initial post I'm scratching an itch re having a V8 but also re having a convertible for the first time. Being an old git...
  10. L

That's really useful - thanks. It's what I expected and what I want from the car. Can't wait to get home and look for one.
  11. L

Do you rate the engine and the performance the 4.7 Biturbo delivers? I'm too old to be throwing a car into bends (I'd probably get a Cayman if that was what I wanted). I do like some grunt though and a brilliant motorway cruiser - I drive down to the South of France & back 2 or 3 times a year...
  12. L

As it happens I've walked away from it. I do have some natural apprehension about buying "sight unseen" as mentioned by some here but mostly because the dealer wasn't really that interested in doing business with me. I'm currently locked down in France and the deal would need to be that I paid...
  13. L

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated. I think I might well go for it although my wife is already asking friends & family to place bets on how long before I lose my licence! I've pointed out that my last two speeding tickets were gained driving her MX-5 - what does she know. BTW -...
  14. L

Thanks for this. Me being a bit dumb about model variants, and because I'm considering buying this "sight unseen" that makes me a little nervous. Is there a chance that if the BiTurbo badge is a retro fit then the car may not be as described? Or pranged up the rear and the wrong badge fitted...
  15. L

Yes it does look beautiful, just wondering if there any known issues to be aware of. My 2012 E350 has never let me down or cost me anything other than servicing and consumables (tyres, pads etc). If this SL is similar build quality I'll be happy as a pig in muck.
  16. L

Hi all, finally looking to scratch that itch and buy my first ever V8 before I get too old to enjoy it. I love my E350 CDI Coupe but it has to go. I've seen an SL500 from a dealer, very low mileage of 25K, from pictures (I can't go and see it) it looks in fantastic condition and the interior...
  17. L

MOT Results Confusion

Hi Jimbo, got the same car as you I think. Mine's a 2012 265 model, that I've had from new, with a GAD remap so probably north of 300 bhp now. I also drive "enthusiastically, your honour" and have only just had my original front discs replaced after 53K miles. A very different story to yours...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom