Search results

1. Ductman

Mercedes SLK Cracked Sump

I once had a W209 CLK and after a service at MB Ascot, I just happened to be on my knees the following day fishing out something I’d dropped on the floor and which had rolled under the car. I was taken aback to see the front under tray was completely missing. I knew it must have been left off...
  2. Ductman

Update to my thread re "Replacement engine for 2010 E350 Cdi"

You would not believe, for a man of 65, just how incompetent he is. As I said at the beginning, he is a lovely chap, very good with numbers (think accountant) and would do anything for you, but show him a hand tool and he is completely flummoxed. I've helped him out many times and on one...
  3. Ductman

Mercedes SLK Cracked Sump

Trouble with that was the sumps themselves were ferrous so although a magnetic plug certainly would collect any ferrous debris, so would the inside of the sump itself as it would be magnetised by the plug. I’ve always believed the key to long engine life is regular oil/filter changes around 5k...
  4. Ductman

It was making a lot of noise beforehand and still they just kept on driving - all the time believing they could simply get it fixed once home. My initial conversation with him as they were waiting for their flight to China was necessarily scant but since being home I’ve had a more detailed...
  5. Ductman

Replacement engine needed for 2010 E350 CDi

Ahhh those were the days. If only everything were that simple now.:)
  6. Ductman

I don't believe it has thrown a rod at all. The initial diagnosis from the man and van service chap was the turbo had eaten itself and thrown bits into the engine and the unprompted diagnosis from the MB dealer was essentially the same.
  7. Ductman

Unlikely you would as they are only in the south of England.
  8. Ductman

May be difficult as it currently has a private plate which they will transfer to the new one and the old one given a replacement age related registration.
  9. Ductman

Yes I can understand the comments you’ve all made and agree with most. Unfortunately, my pal and his wife returned home from their holiday a few days before mine, so were keen to get things moving. Had I been here, I would have advised him to get my indie to inspect it first and only then put it...
  10. Ductman

Maybe so but he needed to get something sorted ASAP and buying another, whilst expensive, is the least hassle. He will be back on the road by middle of next week going this route.
  11. Ductman

Know what you mean but it was definitely shot and he didn’t have too many options.
  12. Ductman

Yep. More to the point, he was prepared to pay it even though he already knew the engine was boogered.
  13. Ductman

As promised, I thought I would update this thread about my friends unfortunate episode with the engine of their E350 Cdi:- https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/replacement-engine-needed-for-2010-e350-cdi.178380/ We returned home at the beginning of this week and I spoke to my...
  14. Ductman

That is, indeed, one possibility he will be considering but probably an unlikely outcome. I think given the opportunity to mull it over whilst on holiday, they will most likely be wanting to go for the quickest option with the least hassle ie buy a replacement car. If nothing else they will have...
  15. Ductman

I’m still away in the US at the moment, due back 3rd December and my pal isn’t due back from their trip to China until end of this month so nothing more has happened yet. I’ve given him what I think are his options and won’t know what he has decided until we are both back but I will update this...
  16. Ductman

Wrist Pins and Pistons?

Isn't that the Renault developed engine? I know it was also used in an Infiniti (Nissan/Renault)
  17. Ductman

And there is so little room to get around the engines on most modern cars too. Back in the day I would often think a Mini under bonnet was cramped but they were nothing like some moderns. On my Lotus Cortina there was almost enough room to stand in the engine bay alongside the engine. My joints...
  18. Ductman

Eek don’t say that. I have the same engine in my C Class. :eek:
  19. Ductman

Re-reading my first post, I probably was unclear and consequently a little unfair on the mobile service fella. He did, apparently do a bit more mechanical investigation than simply looking at it and hearing the story of how it all unfolded. He spent about 40 minutes checking a few things out...
  20. Ductman

I agree entirely. I sent a long email to him yesterday for them to mull over the options whilst they are away and I have pointed out he needs to consider whether a replacement/rebuilt engine will be economically viable, particularly so if they have to replace the turbo and, if bits have gone...
Top Bottom