Search results

1. L John

Changes to fuel / E10

Thanks, I did a search here for E10 but it kept saying it failed, or something like that. I'll have a read of all the comments, comments. The first post was April 21st. cant believe I've only just heard about it. My car seems to be ok to use E10 but I'll probably change to the super unleaded and...
  2. L John

Changes to fuel / E10

Just found out today that regular unleaded is changing to E10 and is not compatible with many older vehicles. I think it's due to change in September. It seems fuel systems that are not compatible can be badly damaged. Cars from 2011 should all be ok but check if your car is older...
  3. L John

Command shutting down with other wierd stuff happening

Just got the car back. Rear sam was replaced with an exchange unit from Mercedes. Total cost, just over a thousand pound all in for sorting this issue and the pre existing problem of an engine warning light showing.
  4. L John

Tyre care.

When I'm driving on a good road the cabin is ultra quiet but on other roads it can be quite noisy. I've always assumed this is due to the road surface being a rougher texture. There's a very noticeable difference when the road surface suddenly changes. Concrete roads are the worst but I'm...
  5. L John

Tyre care.

Burt Munro would know what to do :eek: (Worlds fastest Indian) Jim Moffett : What are you doing? Burt Munro : [referring to his KIWI brand of black shoe polish] Well, the soft shoe polish fills in the cracks. Makes the tyres look spick and span, good as new. Cheaper than new ones anyway. Jim...
  6. L John

What might come up at MOT ?

That's the way I understood it. Also by doing the MOT up to a month earlier keeps the yearly MOT expiry at the same date, so you don't lose a month by doing it early. i.e. the new MOT would last up to 13 months to keep the same renewal date.
  7. L John

With no advisories and as long as you're not aware of anything new I'd say you should have a very good chance of it going through OK. It's best to get an MOT at least a couple of weeks before it's expiry date in case you do need any work to be done. The only problem is if it fails on something...
  8. L John

You've had the car 3 years, so you've had it MOT'd before. How did they work out for you? You can get an MOT done before the due date if that would reduce anxiety.
  9. L John

Latest update. Info back from indi, sorting the engine management light needed a new thermostatic control valve to be fitted and software needed to be reprogrammed, £500 for that bit. Mechanic says he tried to reprogram the rear sam but it fails during update. He says all the faults now relate...
  10. L John

I went to my local indi. The engine management light has also been on for about 6 months as well so I asked them to look at that too. They said the thermostatic valve is faulty causing the engine management light to stay on. £320 to sort that. They said after that they will have to look at the...
  11. L John

Forgot to mention, I sat in the car with the ignition on but not driving as suggested by Robin.large, the comand shut down after about 5 minutes but then opened and restarted a few seconds later. This repeated several times. With that in mind Malcolm210, yes I can connect a jump start battery to...
  12. L John

Another one with the same problem, or maybe the same person with a different name?
  13. L John

62 plate W204 c220, blown turbo, cracked piston or both!

Could part of the turbo have broken off and gone into a cylinder causing secondary damage?
  14. L John

wierd smell

Check for a plastic bag caught on the exhaust underneath the car.
  15. L John

Just found this. Seems someone else has had the same issue with the same year W204. It's going in on Friday, hopefully a simple fix. Bad earth somewhere?
  16. L John

I've decided to get my E350 M272 engine rebuilt.

Just curios, it should run well on regular but have you tried super? You said the valve stems are shot on at least two cylinders so oil will probably be getting to the spark plugs and sooting up causing a missfire.
  17. L John

Hello, from Spain

Appreciate the photos, as you said they don't show the problem. The engine looks tidy and in decent condition though. The crankshaft bearings do need oil pressure because the oil stops the parts from directly rubbing together, the oil causes the shaft to 'float' above the bearing on a layer of...
  18. L John

Hello, from Spain

I know they said the crankshaft but there are many areas that are in contact and need to rotate freely. I'm wondering which part of it has actally seized.
  19. L John

Hello, from Spain

No problem. Did they show you which part had seized? Have you got any photos?
  20. L John

Hello, from Spain

The crankshaft sits low in the sump, yes its the part that's rotated by the pistons, that's where the oil is situated. Oil pumps are needed for all internal areas but the sump is sat in oil so a pump failure is not likely to seize the crankshaft as long as it was above minimum level.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom