Search results

1. C

1997 c250 turbo diesel. Rear view mirror. Lights flashing. No start ?

These cars had sophisticated immobilisers for their time and as the OP has found out most garages don't know how to fix something they can't flash via a laptop. Emulating the immobiliser in the ECU is the easiest and also usually the cheapest solution if they send me the ECU. It will return to...
  2. C

1997 c250 turbo diesel. Rear view mirror. Lights flashing. No start ?

Late reply but I know how to fix this. It's likely your DAS module (driver authorisation system) has bitten the dust and isn't giving authorisation for the ECU to move the rack in the pump or open the black plastic valve on the side of the pump. The easiest way to fix it is to fit an immobiliser...
  3. C

EIS problem? W202 ignition live/ dash lights intermittently dying causing non start and/ or stalling.

Problem fixed. Esl emulator worked a treat, immo off ECU worked a treat (done about 10 now and they've all been spot on), used eis with two keys starts unlocks the car etc, working perfectly. Immobiliser is still intact- unless the key is recognised you can't get it out of park . Wish I hadn't...
  4. C

EIS problem? W202 ignition live/ dash lights intermittently dying causing non start and/ or stalling.

OK so I tried cleaning the EIS... couldn't get it apart. Suspect lots of the ribbon cables plus through hole solder joints will need de-soldering to get this early EIS apart. The How To in the forum link I posted above is a newer EIS in which the barrel and tumbler aren't completely encased by...
  5. C

So I found this... all my research is still pointing to the EIS but specifically the mechanical contacts in the tumbler. This thread details how to clean them. Should do the trick hopefully and a lot easier than cloning it by de-soldering the two chips which look to have about 60 legs lol...
  6. C

Hi all, So my fathers 1997 facelift C250 TD is playing up. Its got steadily worse over a year or so. The symptoms are: Key inserts into EIS no problem and always unlocks the steering lock. Everything works fine in position 1 (accessory). In Position 2 (ignition) is where the problems start. It...
  7. C

W202 Air Con revival

The parts all seem to be available on autodoc... prices start at 180 for the compressor, dryer about 30 and condenser 70-80. So 300 quid ish in parts to replace the most likely goosed bits doesn't seem too bad. Is there any way to inspect the existing bits on the offchance they aren't knackered...
  8. C

W202 Air Con revival

Hi all, really wasn't sure where to post this. Summers seem to be getting hotter and my car is black which has got me thinking about trying to revive the aircon on my C250 TD. It hasn't worked for years... My partners cars air con has just stopped working so we're going to re-gas it with a kit...
  9. C

Slightly nagging Transmission problem 5G-Tronic 722.6 Five Speed Automatic Transmission

I had an icarsoft mbv.2 and for my car atleast it didn't do anything extra over the v.1. so sent it back in the end and kept the used V1. Yes mini USB on them for update via computer, although they work straight out of the box with no updates. Mini USB is still lightyears ahead of the tech in...
  10. C

Slightly nagging Transmission problem 5G-Tronic 722.6 Five Speed Automatic Transmission

I can confirm that the icarsoft mb v1.0 and the red 38 pin multiplexer adapter will read all the main systems on your car including reading trans codes and clearing them. I got mine for 50 quid used as new on ebay and then 35 for the adapter. It's money well spent because you can deal with most...
  11. C

I wonder if this is what went wrong with my old C250 TD gearbox. When cold it wouldn't go into 5th, then it even started not going into 4th. I drained 700ml of fluid (changed only 5k before) and put in a bottle of lucas transmission fix and it did another 25k miles before showing any further...
  12. C

What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

No pics but had a near breakdown in the 250 TD end of last week. It started missing occasionally and losing power then recovering whilst I was in the cotwolds last weekend, kinda alarming on the motorway, then it got worse while commuting last week, almost stalling at the traffic lights. Also...
  13. C

Tyre life span

According to the EU tyre labelling the budget tyres I use have A rated wet grip. They are variously maxxis vs5 and suregrip pro sports, also used nexen before. I've also used B rated ones without issue. I use 215-40-18 which is an odd expensive size, with an ebay discount voucher I can get a...
  14. C

om605 loss of power

Common issue, easy fix usually. Places to look... Blocked Cat- this happened to mine, made it incredibly slow. Try removing the V band clamp in the engine bay on the turbo, pull the exhaust pipe off its V band flange and to the side a bit and take it for a spin to see if that sorts it. If so...
  15. C

Jacking point

At 26 yrs old/ 210k miles my W202 needed work on the jacking points (and other areas). What I found was that the rust first starts in the spot welded overlap between the outer sill and the jacking point, probably because internally this seam isnt and cannot be sealed. Best you can do is fill it...
  16. C

Sand blasting is best for sure, to SA2.5 spec , but it's messy and time consuming. A happy medium could be to excavate most of the rust with the needle gun, wire wheel it all the finish off with some light blasting to mainly key it up really well. CP tools and Kobe both do decent compact needle...
  17. C

No worries. I was a skeptic until last year but I wish I'd discovered the stuff years ago. The winter grade version will cure down to temps as low as -5 and has a really long overcoat window which makes it perfect for doing one section at a time. Sand blasting is perfect as it gives an...
  18. C

Only the failed areas/ rust. At the end of the day, the original coating was applied in conditions which can't be easily replicated in a home workshop and will in most cases have superior adhesion than anything you can apply at home. Epoxy paints like Jotamastic are aimed at maintenance...
  19. C

Rebuilt the front suspension both sides on my 202. Just repainted the shocks as they seemed fine. Took the opportunity to weld up a small hole in one spring perch and strip back and repaint the whole area occupied by the suspension with two coats of my favourite underbody paint- jotamastic 90...
  20. C

Turning an Automatic Trasmission Manually E300TD

Good point. Really had never thought about that. If its able to idle in P or other gears then you'll be able to turn the crank by hand too!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom